Nintendo issues DMCA takedown for Super Mario Bros. Commodore 64 port

Jason

13 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I noticed quite a few people mention in the comments that Nintendo seems to have a habit of not issuing DMCA takedowns until after one of these projects have been released. That's something that had never occurred to me.

They did the same with that Metroid one too right?  I'm sure its still floating around in torrents somewhere.

15 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I noticed quite a few people mention in the comments that Nintendo seems to have a habit of not issuing DMCA takedowns until after one of these projects have been released. That's something that had never occurred to me.

I didn't read those comments so I might be misconstruing the sentiment, but I'd assume it's so they can rightly claim to defend their IP while still letting people get to play whatever it is, as they probably don't actually care that much and are happy for the second-hand publicity.

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

They did the same with that Metroid one too right?  I'm sure its still floating around in torrents somewhere.

AM2R, yes it was taken down and yes you can still find it. 

15 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

To be fair a lot of these don't really get any widespread attention until they are released. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I didn't read those comments so I might be misconstruing the sentiment, but I'd assume it's so they can rightly claim to defend their IP while still letting people get to play whatever it is, as they probably don't actually care that much and are happy for the second-hand publicity.

That seems to be the sentiment, but who knows. It could also be that Nintendo's lawyers don't care about policing fan activity until that fan activity actually turns into a game you can freely download. Then again, I don't think they ever did anything about the Mother 3 translation.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

AM2R, yes it was taken down and yes you can still find it. 

To be fair a lot of these don't really get any widespread attention until they are released. 

Was it? AMR2 had a countdown site and was being covered in gaming sites all around the place. Nintendo seems to have a policy where they don't care what you do or what you talk about until you actually release things to the public.