Sri Lanka atrocity: 15 killed (including 6 children) as cornered jihadists detonate explosives during police raid

Just now, marioandsonic said:

That's politics in a nutshell now.

Guess I was stupid myself for thinking people here could be better/smarter.

No, I don't think this will have staying power in the media, but a more apt comparison would be to the NZ terrorist attack. The masses won't care as much about this because it's a small, poor country, full of brown people. And humanity sucks for that.

We can still be saddened by other things in the world, though. We're capable of caring about multiple things.

Sri Lanka authorities were warned two weeks before attacks, says minister

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/22/sri-lanka-attacks-death-toll-from-bombings-rises-sharply-to-290?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

BBC News - Sri Lanka attacks: 'International network' linked to deadly bombings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48012085

At this point, we should set this thread on fire as if it were the Notre Dame Cathedral.

55 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Sri Lanka authorities were warned two weeks before attacks, says minister

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/22/sri-lanka-attacks-death-toll-from-bombings-rises-sharply-to-290?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

BBC News - Sri Lanka attacks: 'International network' linked to deadly bombings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48012085

This terrorist group won't be little-known for much longer.

I did find it weird that no one had yet claimed responsibility, so now it makes sense.

14 hours ago, ByWatterson said:

No problem. 

Someone has to be the voice of reason in a media environment that masturbates over a bruised monument to what can be fairly described as the largest criminal enterprise in history (Catholic Church), and shrugs when hundreds of worshipers lose their lives in less pretty settings.

Except nobody shrugged, and your insistence they did makes you sound like a moron. As though we aren’t capable of caring about multiple things. You are just being ridiculous.

I get what @ByWatterson is saying, but I think it's being done in the wrong thread over the wrong story.

This story is getting a lot of attention, as it should.

But I do know it was a travesty that the Cathedral got the attention it did while the black church burnings committed by a racist arsonist received very little attention in the media. The fortunate news is the Notre Dame fire inspired others to donate to rebuild the black churches.

“The rebuild of Notre Dame will be well funded,” journalist Yashar Ali said on Twitter as he promoted the fundraiser. “In the past month, three historically black churches in Louisiana were destroyed by a racist arsonist. He has been charged with hate crimes, but these churches need your help.”

By Wednesday morning, the total raised was $1.5 million.

I posted the thread on that.

That's the main point I see him making: not that the board turns a blind eye toward these things, but the media attention is disproportionate.

Anyway, I won't go too much into it ITT; it's a tragic story and, again, is getting quite a bit of coverage.

51 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I get what @ByWatterson is saying, but I think it's being done in the wrong thread over the wrong story.

This story is getting a lot of attention, as it should.

But I do know it was a travesty that the Cathedral got the attention it did while the black church burnings committed by a racist arsonist received very little attention in the media. The fortunate news is the Notre Dame fire inspired others to donate to rebuild the black churches.

I posted the thread on that.

That's the main point I see him making: not that the board turns a blind eye toward these things, but the media attention is disproportionate.

Anyway, I won't go too much into it ITT; it's a tragic story and, again, is getting quite a bit of coverage.

But comparing those churches to Notre Dame is a bit absurd, Notre Dame has a deep historical value to the world. Now very certainly those churches should be rebuilt, but equating them to the tragedy of Notre Dame is a bit disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

But comparing those churches to Notre Dame is a bit absurd, Notre Dame has a deep historical value to the world. Now very certainly those churches should be rebuilt, but equating them to the tragedy of Notre Dame is a bit disingenuous.

I find racist targeting and destruction of the black churches more important and should have gotten significantly more attention than they did, especially since burning a black church not only easily has a historical value in the US (and still somehow happens in the 21st century), but it was a targeted burning and arson from an officer's son as opposed to an accident where no one died.

Cover Notre Dame for its historical value, but don't shortchange black people and and racist targeting of their churches when you do it. 

I'm discussing it in this thread because people actually died in a church, so we have a good variable and a good control.

The bombings are being covered in the media, but the breathless minute-to-minute reporting is not present. The Twitter livestreams, the barrage of interviews, takes on "heartbreaking" vigils, etc. - the international pledges of financial support from all quarters! - are not happening here. I'm not attacking the board (though, to be sure, this thread is receiving far fewer responses, and most revolve around how pissed we ought to be), but the media, generally. And no coworkers have come up to me, as they did last week, their eyes shrink-wrapped in tears to say, "It's so, so sad." 

My prevailing thought during the Notre Dame event was that we place value in the wrong things, and lay our bias alarmingly bare. The completely assymetrical coverage of THIS event in Sri Lanka demonstrates that I'm correct. 

44 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

I'm discussing it in this thread because people actually died in a church, so we have a good variable and a good control.

The bombings are being covered in the media, but the breathless minute-to-minute reporting is not present. The Twitter livestreams, the barrage of interviews, takes on "heartbreaking" vigils, etc. - the international pledges of financial support from all quarters! - are not happening here. I'm not attacking the board (though, to be sure, this thread is receiving far fewer responses, and most revolve around how pissed we ought to be), but the media, generally. And no coworkers have come up to me, as they did last week, their eyes shrink-wrapped in tears to say, "It's so, so sad." 

My prevailing thought during the Notre Dame event was that we place value in the wrong things, and lay our bias alarmingly bare. The completely assymetrical coverage of THIS event in Sri Lanka demonstrates that I'm correct. 

I stand corrected.

And actually, you make some valid points. 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:45 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Guess I was stupid myself for thinking people here could be better/smarter.

No, I don't think this will have staying power in the media, but a more apt comparison would be to the NZ terrorist attack. The masses won't care as much about this because it's a small, poor country, full of brown people. And humanity sucks for that.

We can still be saddened by other things in the world, though. We're capable of caring about multiple things.

Humanity equally sucks for calling the victims "Easter Worshippers".

Christians. They were called Christians who were celebrating the resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. There is nothing more transparent or scripted than making up a set of words to avoid saying a word that doesn't fit your current political narrative. I never thought I'd live to see the day when Christians would become the most persecuted religious group on the planet. There was a huge opportunity for the left and the muslim community to condemn these attacks. Instead the response we got, or lack thereof, speaks volumes.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nublood said:

Christians. They were called Christians who were celebrating the resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. There is nothing more transparent or scripted than making up a set of words to avoid saying a word that doesn't fit your current political narrative. I never thought I'd live to see the day when Christians would become the most persecuted religious group on the planet. There was a huge opportunity for the left and the muslim community to condemn these attacks. Instead the response we got, or lack thereof, speaks volumes.

Trump didn't mention Christians in his "138 million" tweet.

Republican Washington Times called them Easter Worshippers.

Extremist right-wing site Breitbart called them Easter Worshippers.

Go get em.

6 minutes ago, nublood said:

Or maybe they should be called snowflakes, given that they are equating minor semantics with being 'one of the most persecuted religious groups on the planet'.

12 minutes ago, nublood said:

You know, a part of me actually wondered if your original post was just being facetious. 

Holy shit. I almost can't handle the sheer stupidity. 

13 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Or maybe they should be called snowflakes, given that they are equating minor semantics with being 'one of the most persecuted religious groups on the planet'.

Way to demonize a group of over 2 billion people on this planet.  (if I were RSF, probably)

28 minutes ago, nublood said:

Iran offers condolences after Sri Lanka attacks

Sri Lanka explosions: Local Muslim leaders call for 'maximum punishment' for culprits

Care for more examples?