A Washington State Senator Said Some Nurses Spent Too Much Time Playing Cards. Then Nurses Replied.

21 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Look, I dated a few nurses and I know tomato soup stains when I see them...

...or at least that's what they told me they were...

That was from a particularly difficult night a couple weeks ago. Two codes in the first hour of my shift. Neither were my patients, but I had taken care of them in days prior. First one, I was a runner, second, I was alternating with a couple other nurses doing CPR. Guy had really bad third spacing and his skin was tearing and I was leaned up against his arm while doing compressions. I did get some new scrubs later on.

The second patient survived and a little over a week later was back to joking with staff on cardiac stepdown the night before going back home.

Making fun of nurses is the equivalent of making fun of teachers and other professions that are super important, with often hard workers, who don't get paid enough.

So, in short, no surprise Republicans are going after them. They love punching down. Fuck 'em. Nurses are super awesome and important - coming from a family of doctors, it's plainly obvious how important nurses are. 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Making fun of nurses is the equivalent of making fun of teachers and other professions that are super important, with often hard workers, who don't get paid enough.

So, in short, no surprise Republicans are going after them. They love punching down. Fuck 'em. Nurses are super awesome and important - coming from a family of doctors, it's plainly obvious how important nurses are. 

Psst, there's a reason why nurses and teachers are such an apt comparison for the point you're making.... :shh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I thought it was rich the senator chalked it up to her "being tired" when she said that. Gee, wonder who else is tired and is tasked with far greater responsibility at their job? :daydream:

Doctors?

Spoiler

:troll:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/poker-anyone-washington-state-lawmaker-who-belittled-nurses-gets-1-700-decks-of-playing-cards-in-mail/ar-BBWgQmb?ocid=AMZN

A Washington state lawmaker has received about 1,700 decks of playing cards in the mail as of Wednesday after commenting that nurses in rural hospitals "probably play cards" for much of their day. 

Republican Sen. Maureen Walsh said she plans to donate the cards to nursing homes and veterans' centers. 

“I like poker as much as anyone, but I think I’m pretty well stocked up right now,” Walsh said in a statement released Wednesday.

Although Walsh has apologized for her comments during a debate on a bill requiring uninterrupted rest and meal breaks for nurses, she said the remarks were taken out of context by supporters of the bill.

“Frankly, I am very embarrassed by the comments, but I am more embarrassed by the fact that this whole issue has been sort of gamed politically, and I am really sorry for that,” she said on the Senate floor Tuesday. 

The state House and Senate on Wednesday passed a final version of the bill without an amendment supported by Walsh. The bill would apply to all hospitals in Washington, including hospitals with less than 25 beds that Walsh wanted to exempt from the mandatory uninterrupted breaks.