Sega Genesis Mini -- FULL list of games, add-on props (Sega CD, 32X), 6-button arcade pad sold separately

SaysWho?

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm good with that. 

I like SoR1 and SoR3(the JPN version, because the US is terrible). But SoR2 is the pinnacle of old school beat em ups.

SoR2 is legitimately my favorite game of all time, I kid you not. Let alone how it stacks up to other beat em ups.

And that's saying something because I'm a huge TMNT fan, and you'd think that would tip the scale in Turtles in Time's favor. But that's the level of utter perfection that they achieved with SoR2.

Just now, Reputator said:

SoR2 is legitimately my favorite game of all time, I kid you not. Let alone how it stacks up to other beat em ups.

And that's saying something because I'm a huge TMNT fan, and you'd think that would tip the scale in Turtles in Time's favor. But that's the level of utter perfection that they achieved with SoR2.

TiT is my second favorite in the genre. I have the SNES game, Hyperstone Heist, and the arcade PCB, which is probably my favorite piece in my collection.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

It definitely had more depth to the combat than other beat-em-ups.  It was my favourite of the genre until Castle Crashers came along.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

TiT is my second favorite in the genre. I have the SNES game, Hyperstone Heist, and the arcade PCB, which is probably my favorite piece in my collection.

Hyperstone Heist would be a good contender for this list if it weren't tied up in so much licensing crap. I'm sure it's impossible.

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

As much as I love the Genesis, SNES will always surpass it because that's where the JRPGs were and Mario is better than Sonic by a long shot. 

Shining Force 1 and 2  and Phantasy Star say "hi"

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, with Streets of Rage 2, there's no need for the other games in the series. 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

2 has better music, too. Leave room for something else. 

3 has better characters and music than both 1 and 2 and is the best game.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Shining Force 1 and 2  and Phantasy Star say "hi"

3 has better characters and music than both 1 and 2 and is the best game.

If you'll notice, I said I love Shining Force. But that's two strategy RPGs compared to all the traditional turn based JRPGs on SNES. I have the Phantasy Star games, too. But there's just no comparison in the RPG department. 

As for SoR, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're in a small minority. 

Sorry, you lose this one :p

24 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

If you'll notice, I said I love Shining Force

I did and that's why I edited in Phantasy Star :whistlin:

Though personally I'm a big SRPG fan and maybe it's because of Shining Force, I think my first ever turned based RPG was probably on Playstation with Wild Arms or something.

26 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

but you're in a small minority.

I usually am!

26 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sorry, you lose this one :p

Let's call it a tie!

I've actually not played the Phantasy Star games. We have all four of them, but that's more my husband's doing. He likes them. The setting just never appealed to me.

I love, love, love Shining Force, though. We played the two on Genesis and Shining Force CD together. I keep bringing it up that we need to start 3, since we have all three games(SF3 Scenarios 2 and 3 were only in Japan, but they have fan translations), but we keep putting it off. Gonna do it soon, though.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm good with that. 

I like SoR1 and SoR3(the JPN version, because the US is terrible). But SoR2 is the pinnacle of old school beat em ups.

I didn't know there was a huge difference.

I never fully beat SoR3. My dumbass played on the easiest difficulty, and I was so young that I didn't realize the game was mocking me for playing on easy when I beat robot Mr. X, so I always assumed the game ended on a cliffhanger and a SoR4 would wrap things up.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't know there was a huge difference.

I never fully beat SoR3. My dumbass played on the easiest difficulty, and I was so young that I didn't realize the game was mocking me for playing on easy when I beat robot Mr. X, so I always assumed the game ended on a cliffhanger and a SoR4 would wrap things up.

I'm pretty sure you and I went over the differences in a thread some time back. 

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Please don't tell me it was before the boards erased everything. :( 

Pretty sure. It's been a while back. 

The Normal difficulty in the US version is harder than The Hard difficulty in the Japanese. That alone makes it stupid and frustrating. You can't truly beat the US version on Easy, either. 

Then there's the censoring and several other aesthetic changes. US version just plain sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Pretty sure. It's been a while back. 

The Normal difficulty in the US version is harder than The Hard difficulty in the Japanese. That alone makes it stupid and frustrating. You can't truly beat the US version on Easy, either. 

Then there's the censoring and several other aesthetic changes. US version just plain sucks. 

I found it as fun as 2 at the time (I'm assuming the gameplay is comparable), but the difficulty setting explains a lot. I was able to beat 2 when I was a kid, but sometimes I couldn't beat 3's easy mode. It was seriously two years ago when I found out that there were other endings in 3; my whole life I thought it ended on a cliffhanger. :doh:

MK2 was another sequel, even though most find it to be the best Genesis MK, whose difficulty just got out the fuck control. I bought a compilation of all the games several years ago, and I could beat normal in MK1, but every opponent past the first one or two knew wtf I was going to do before I did. I couldn't beat 2. </3 

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I found it as fun as 2 at the time (I'm assuming the gameplay is comparable), but the difficulty setting explains a lot. I was able to beat 2 when I was a kid, but sometimes I couldn't beat 3's easy mode. It was seriously two years ago when I found out that there were other endings in 3; my whole life I thought it ended on a cliffhanger. :doh:

Yeah, the base mechanics are still there. It's just the difficulty they were stupid with. Which is why I shelled out $80 or whatever it was to import Bare Knuckle III and played though it with my husband. SoR2 is still better, but it's still a lot of fun. 

• 1 month later...

This has been added to the OP:

UPDATE:

Full lists

Full NA/EU list (games not in the Japanese Mini are in bold italics):

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alisia Dragoon
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps (aka Probotector)
Darius
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (localization of the first Puyo Puyo)
Dynamite Headdy
Earthworm Jim
Ecco the Dolphin
Eternal Champions

Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Megaman: The Wily Wars
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star IV
Road Rash II
Shining Force
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Strider
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris
Thunder Force III
Toejam & Earl
VectorMan
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy in Monster World

World of Illusion

---

Full Japanese list (games not in the NA/EU Mini are in bold italics):

Alisia Dragoon
Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth)
Castlevania Bloodlines
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Darius
Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
Dynamite Headdy
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou*
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Langrisser 2
Lord Monarch
Madō Monogatari

Monster World IV
MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
Party Quiz Mega Q

Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Rent a Hero

Road Rash 2
Rockman Megaworld
Shining Force
Slap Fight MD
Snow Bros.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris
The Hybrid Front
The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
The Super Shinobi (aka The Revenge of Shinobi)
Thunder Force III
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

----

Asian (Incomplete; Will be updated likely tomorrow) (games not in the Japanese or NA/EU Minis are in bold italics):

Alien Soldier
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
OutRun 2019
Phantasy Star IV
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Puyo Puyo (from which Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is derived)
Puyo Puyo Tsu
SEGA Game Series Value Edition (Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
Thunder Force III
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
---

*Games included in Game no Kanzume Otokuyou/SEGA Game Series Value Edition are:

16t
Flicky
Putter Golf
Hyper Marbles
Shi no Meikyuu
Medal City
Paddle Fighter
Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD
Pyramid Magic
Robot Battler
Teddy Boy Blues
Aworg

Main Menu:

DHhBAGZ.jpg

Carrying case and Add-on props:

LOYq9fo.png

7RZMyi8.png

dAmWArT.jpg

Japan gets the 6-button. NA/PAL gets 3-buttons but the 6-buttons will be released separately for $20:

SEGA_NA_SGM_6BtnUSB.png

These are already available:

7100KOnmSUL._SL1500_.jpg

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The final 10:

Oh, wow, I already had this preordered, but this really seals the deal.  Strider is a definite win.  Virtual Fighter 2... nah, I'll just pull out the Saturn.  Alicia Dragoon I had totally forgotten about ever existing, but this reminded me that I rented this game once as a kid and enjoyed it.  Columns I sunk many hours into in the early days of Genesis.  Kid Chameleon is one of THE BEST 16-bit era games ever made.  Monster World IV and Light Crusader were games I wanted to play as a kid, but never did.  Eternal Champions was a fun fighter that I played a bunch of back in the day.