The Boys OT - Getting the Band Back Together (Update: Season 2 premiering Sept. 4)

Slug

• 2 months later...

The book was every single indulgent, “edgy,” “dark,” trope masquerading as a realistic / deep take on superheroes. It’s peak Ennis / aughts / bro comic writing and I’m kind of flabbergasted it got made into a 2019 show given how problematic almost every single aspect of it is. Are you ready for the umpteenth male take on how a woman responds to sexual assault... but this time she has POWERS? The Boys has you covered. It’s never more insightful than, “what if superheroes but BAD?”

Preacher had stuff to say. The Boys never did. The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen started coming out 31 years ago, I can’t believe people continue to be amused by worse versions of those. 

That first episode with that death was brutal but so cool to see. Plus I can say I’ve been to their headquarters for reals, but it was to see Kevin Smith and surprise guest Edgar Wright. Going to be pretty damn crowded in Toronto with all these boys/superheroes in town along with The Umbrella Academy and them Titans running amuck 

I'm only ten minutes into the first episode and while the death was brutal (and different from the comics in circumstance) Hughie made a fatal error... I was always taught that when you walk down the street with your lady friend, YOU always walk street side, Not her. To avoid tragic shit like this from happening.  Great to see Simon Peg though. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm only ten minutes into the first episode and while the death was brutal (and different from the comics in circumstance) Hughie made a fatal error... I was always taught that when you walk down the street with your lady friend, YOU always walk street side, Not her. To avoid tragic shit like this from happening.  Great to see Simon Peg though. 

You have no idea how much it pisses me off when I see people walking their dogs and they have dogs on the street side. 

Finished the first episode and it was pretty good. As I suspected they toned down a lot of the more explicit stuff from the comic...  Starlight's assault was actually a lot worse in the comic... but they still maintained the tone and changed enough from the comic to keep things fresh. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

So you think we should protect the life of a dog over our own lives? Huh? 

No genius. But a dog on a leash still can dart because people never truly heel(sp?) their dogs. You walk your dog on your inside so if it darts it won’t be into the street. 

The whole “keep X on the inside” is for that reason, to keep them from falling or accidentally going into the street. If a car is far enough over to clip the person/pet closer to the road, odds are they’re gonna clip you too.