How much do you pay for a haircut?

Boyle5150

19 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It is cut and dry. If you are recieving a service that usually recieves tips, you should tip. The only exception being fast food, imo. They aren't really serving anyone. 

Well thats subjective isnt it? bc the fast food workers are absolutely performing you a service. As are cashiers, gas station attendants, mechanics, and literally thousands of other industries where you dont normally tip.  IMO, unless the owner went above and beyond, I dont feel a tip is required. They are making all the profit. As I mentioned the workers, esp in a hair salon, pay a vig to the owner in some shape, so the tip helps compensate. 

29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Well thats subjective isnt it? bc the fast food workers are absolutely performing you a service. As are cashiers, gas station attendants, mechanics, and literally thousands of other industries where you dont normally tip.  IMO, unless the owner went above and beyond, I dont feel a tip is required. They are making all the profit. As I mentioned the workers, esp in a hair salon, pay a vig to the owner in some shape, so the tip helps compensate. 

Pumping gas (do gas stations even do that anymore?) and and making change when I order and stand at a counter are not the same as havign food served at your table, or your hair cut. Not tipping is just cheap ass behaviour, especially when it's the owners of most small businesses who are struggling the most. Pretending all the profit is a lot of profit is disingenuous. 

8 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Pumping gas (do gas stations even do that anymore?) and and making change when I order and stand at a counter are not the same as havign food served at your table, or your hair cut. Not tipping is just cheap ass behaviour, especially when it's the owners of most small businesses who are struggling the most. Pretending all the profit is a lot of profit is disingenuous. 

yes, there are still gas station attendants... and tell that to them when they are out there in 100 degrees, or -5 degrees, or pouring rain making minimum wage so you dont have to be. 

My haircutter is the owner. Hes booked out 5 weeks in advance and owns two shops. He drives a Mercedes. My uncle owned 5 hair salons in Florida (until he passed away). He was raking in the money and my aunt sold the business after his death and is pretty set now.  Pretending you know how much profit an owner makes is disingenuous. 

Tipping in general is bullshit anyway. I shouldn't feel obligated to tip someone to compensate for their salary. The owner/business should pay them an adequate wage and bake the "tips" into the price of goods sold and or/services. Tip should be reserved for people who go above and beyond your expectations. 

And before you assume Im cheap... I always tip minimum 20% where tipping is required. 

14 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

The only people who don't tip are the kinds of people who are self-righteous and presume to know better than anyone else as to what kind of services are exempting when it comes to being a generous person. You're either generous or you aren't. You either tip a barista or your barber or you don't. I find a person who refuses to tip anyone for any reason to be more respectable than a person who picks and chooses who they want to be generous to. 

A business owner performing service work might need that tip despite their "apparent" success. Statistically speaking, inordinate amount of small business owners (and Americans in general) are one small disaster away from going bankrupt and having to let go of the few employees they have working for them anyway. A barber working for that owner might be particularly charismatic and does their job well, so they might be getting clients left, right and center, making more than enough tips to cover their vig and put money in the bank.

Obviously the inverse of this situation can be true as well, but unless we personally know these people and the details of their lives outside of work, presuming to know whether or not someone is deserving of a tip because of their position in an service organization is a dick move.

Hell, I own and manage two businesses and recieve tips from customers all the time. I don't personally pocket them because I don't need to. So I use them to buy my employees lunch or coffee, or put it in the bank for when bonus time comes around. That owner/barber might actually do something similar for their own employees.

To add to this, my rule of thumb is always: it means more to them than it does to me. It's a couple of bucks to me versus validation for them. 

My experience has been that owners of businesses have rejected tips when offered. I can’t recall one owner ever accepting it.  Like I mentioned earlier, their tip is the profit built into the job. If they don’t build a proper profit into the job, I doubt a tip will offset it. 

My rule of thumb has always been if someone is doing something you don’t want to do, you should tip them.  I tip the kid that fills my car full of gas. I tip the Five Guys staff for making my meal. I tip the guys carrying a heavy item into my house. I give a yearly gift to my mailman and garbage men. The tips aren’t extravagant but is a way to show my appreciation for what why did for me. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My experience has been that owners of businesses have rejected tips when offered. I can’t recall one owner ever accepting it.  Like I mentioned earlier, their tip is the profit built into the job. If they don’t build a proper profit into the job, I doubt a tip will offset it. 

My rule of thumb has always been if someone is doing something you don’t want to do, you should tip them.  I tip the kid that fills my car full of gas. I tip the Five Guys staff for making my meal. I tip the guys carrying a heavy item into my house. I give a yearly gift to my mailman and garbage men. The tips aren’t extravagant but is a way to show my appreciation for what why did for me. 

this is me. I even tip my UPS man. We give gifts to all my kids, teachers, coaches and bus drivers. I tip the kids running my food out of applebes or other joints when doing curbside pickup, or even if i pick it up inside. Ill tip the kid who carries my bag of top soil out even if i asked him not to and he insists "saying its part of his job". The last big project I got done in my house, solar... I bought the whole crew lunch, tipped them about $25 bux each and then threw them all a 4-pack of quality craft beer (probably $20 worth of beer/ea).  I thought that was fair and they seemed thrilled. 

@Man of Culture as a buisness owner, you have a different perspective. I happen to not agree with it. However, I never presume who the business owner is. If i dont know, I tip. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

yes, there are still gas station attendants... and tell that to them when they are out there in 100 degrees, or -5 degrees, or pouring rain making minimum wage so you dont have to be. 

My haircutter is the owner. Hes booked out 5 weeks in advance and owns two shops. He drives a Mercedes. My uncle owned 5 hair salons in Florida (until he passed away). He was raking in the money and my aunt sold the business after his death and is pretty set now.  Pretending you know how much profit an owner makes is disingenuous. 

Tipping in general is bullshit anyway. I shouldn't feel obligated to tip someone to compensate for their salary. The owner/business should pay them an adequate wage and bake the "tips" into the price of goods sold and or/services. Tip should be reserved for people who go above and beyond your expectations. 

And before you assume Im cheap... I always tip minimum 20% where tipping is required. 

Where required... Thats what makes you cheap. Saying you'd tip a barber renting a booth but not the owner doing the same job is cheap, period. Also, I never spoke on how much he made, I stated a fact, most small business owners already struggle to survive. 

52 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Where required... Thats what makes you cheap. Saying you'd tip a barber renting a booth but not the owner doing the same job is cheap, period. Also, I never spoke on how much he made, I stated a fact, most small business owners already struggle to survive. 

jesus christ. You must have altitude sickness from that high-horse you're riding. 

My wife owned her own furniture restoration business for many years before going back to real estate last year. She was rarely offered a tip and we always figured it was understood she was the owner and it was essentially a one-man shop. The very rare occasion she would be offered one, she NEVER accepted it from her customer. The only time she would accept it is if the customer asked to make last minute changes or additions and my wife didnt charge them for it. I had to pick up and deliver the furniture for my wife. As her husband I would NEVER accept a tip and I was offered all the time. I would explain I was her husband and it wasn't necessary. If I had a helper with me, they would usually hand the tip money to me since I was "in charge". I would hand it back, say I'm her husband, but please tip John (or whoever was helping me), he would appreciate it.  

8 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

The only people who don't tip are the kinds of people who are self-righteous and presume to know better than anyone else as to what kind of services are exempting when it comes to being a generous person. You're either generous or you aren't. You either tip a barista or your barber or you don't. I find a person who refuses to tip anyone for any reason to be more respectable than a person who picks and chooses who they want to be generous to. 

A business owner performing service work might need that tip despite their "apparent" success. Statistically speaking, inordinate amount of small business owners (and Americans in general) are one small disaster away from going bankrupt and having to let go of the few employees they have working for them anyway. A barber working for that owner might be particularly charismatic and does their job well, so they might be getting clients left, right and center, making more than enough tips to cover their vig and put money in the bank.

Obviously the inverse of this situation can be true as well, but unless we personally know these people and the details of their lives outside of work, presuming to know whether or not someone is deserving of a tip because of their position in an service organization is a dick move.

Hell, I own and manage two businesses and recieve tips from customers all the time. I don't personally pocket them because I don't need to. So I use them to buy my employees lunch or coffee, or put it in the bank for when bonus time comes around. That owner/barber might actually do something similar for their own employees.

Pretty sure all business owners are Rich As Fuck!   Why would any of them deserve a tip?!