~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Dude, you're complaining that TLJ is dumb when you're arguing that there might be an atmosphere on a fucking asteroid or a monster's mouth in ESB.

I literally just watched these scene an hour ago with my niece... they weren't so far into the creature's mouth/stomach that they couldn't see the entrance off in the distance. Either way it doesn't matter and never did because when we were kids, we just filled in the dots ourselves. Yoda basically breaks it down in these scene with Luke and this pretty much sums up how The Force works in Star Wars...

What Yoda is telling Luke is that the size of the object doesn't matter... none of it matters because all of the limitations people place on themselves are artificial and the limits are only imposed by what is in your mind. "Size matters not!". There are similar sentiments expressed to Neo in The Matrix. "There is no spoon..." The only limits that are real are the ones we place on ourselves. So yeah... the "rules" that Yoda establishes here are basically consistent throughout the series in that there ARE NO RULES and the only limits are the imagination and will of the user.

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Not the same as a saber of course, but similar enough that it lets you know she has some fighting skills. If you want to question something about Rey, the real issue how the in hell is she such a great pilot? Where the heck did she learn to fly? All indication is that she's a loner who works are a scavenger so where do these flight skills of hers come from? I

And Luke was a moisture farmer... where did HIS flight skills come from when we first see him? He goes from Farm boy to ace dogfighting pilot over the course of a couple of days. Luke and Rey BOTH are established as talented pilots and as I said in a thread when The Force Awakens came out, piloting in Star Wars is like driving a car in ours. Luke and Rey are both gearheads basically who are like amateur street racers in our world. Being gifted in the Force also gives then superior reflexes which helps in their piloting, but if you can assume that Rey picked up fighting skills in her years scavenging on Jakku (which they show) You can also assume she picked up other skills too... like piloting and fixing machinery (which they also show) 

I said it before and I'll say it again, these complaints wouldn't exist if Rey was a dude. It's just a fact... Annakin did all of the same shit in Phantom Menace when he was like SIX and nobody complained a bit about any of it.

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I said it before and I'll say it again, these complaints wouldn't exist if Rey was a dude. It's just a fact... Annakin did all of the same shit in Phantom Menace when he was like SIX and nobody complained a bit about any of it.

I have zero issue with Rey because she's female. I love strong female leads, as I started before my only problem with Rey is that she has no character growth. There is no big flaw for her to overcome. She's just good at everything instantly, where is the learning curve? And yeah I think plenty of people bitched about Anakin in TPM, of course most of it revolved around the horrible acting :p 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I literally just watched these scene an hour ago with my niece... they weren't so far into the creature's mouth/stomach that they couldn't see the entrance off in the distance. Either way it doesn't matter and never did because when we were kids, we just filled in the dots ourselves. Yoda basically breaks it down in these scene with Luke and this pretty much sums up how The Force works in Star Wars...

What Yoda is telling Luke is that the size of the object doesn't matter... none of it matters because all of the limitations people place on themselves are artificial and the limits are only imposed by what is in your mind. "Size matters not!". There are similar sentiments expressed to Neo in The Matrix. "There is no spoon..." The only limits that are real are the ones we place on ourselves. So yeah... the "rules" that Yoda establishes here are basically consistent throughout the series in that there ARE NO RULES and the only limits are the imagination and will of the user.

And Luke was a moisture farmer... where did HIS flight skills come from when we first see him? He goes from Farm boy to ace dogfighting pilot over the course of a couple of days. Luke and Rey BOTH are established as talented pilots and as I said in a thread when The Force Awakens came out, piloting in Star Wars is like driving a car in ours. Luke and Rey are both gearheads basically who are like amateur street racers in our world. Being gifted in the Force also gives then superior reflexes which helps in their piloting, but if you can assume that Rey picked up fighting skills in her years scavenging on Jakku (which they show) You can also assume she picked up other skills too... like piloting and fixing machinery (which they also show) 

To be fair I believe there’s a line in ANH that talks about Luke flying around for fun on Tatoinee. Doesn’t the shooting wamp rats conversation also include being able to pilot through a canyon really well? I could be remembering that from some Star Wars PC game I played when I was kid though 😂

but in all seriousness. Anakin was able to be a pod racer because of his extreme sensitivity to the force enabled him to see a few seconds into the future or something. Giving him reflexes no other human possessed. Logically Rey and Luke would have had those same reflexes which would have translated into their ability to be great pilots. 

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's only been a week and I honestly can't remember a damned thing about this movie.

I would say that the things that had the biggest memory impact on me were the Kylo-turns-to-Ben scenes on DSII (featuring Han, etc), and...I think that's it. The movie never properly builds up to any big moments, so you can't easily identify impactful things. Imagine Endgame, but instead of the whole long scene of heroes arriving, it happened in the middle of the fight with Thanos but also Hulk was snapping and also they were still going through time. When you throw so many things back-to-back at the audience, nothing can stand out.

39 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I have zero issue with Rey because she's female. I love strong female leads, as I started before my only problem with Rey is that she has no character growth. There is no big flaw for her to overcome. She's just good at everything instantly, where is the learning curve? And yeah I think plenty of people bitched about Anakin in TPM, of course most of it revolved around the horrible acting :p 

Her big flaw was letting go of the past. She was holding herself back by waiting for people that were never going to come for her. Also by letting her lack of a family define her... of course JJ Abrams fucks that up by her defining herself as a Skywalker at the end when the she should have just defined herself with a new name. And I don't remember folks bitching about Anakin being able to do the stuff he was doing... people love the podracing scene for example. I think if anything folks bitched about his performance and the slapstick way he and Jar Jar helped defeat the Trade federation's forces. For instance nobody had a problem with the line from the OT when Ben said to Luke "When I met your father he was already a great pilot... and I was AMAZED at how strong he was with The Force." So the implication is Anakin was a great pilot when Obi-Wan meets him. When he was six.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Her big flaw was letting go of the past. She was holding herself back by waiting for people that were never going to come for her. Also by letting her lack of a family define her... of course JJ Abrams fucks that up by her defining herself as a Skywalker at the end when the she should have just defined herself with a new name. And I don't remember folks bitching about Anakin being able to do the stuff he was doing... people love the podracing scene for example. I think if anything folks bitched about his performance and the slapstick way he and Jar Jar helped defeat the Trade federation's forces. For instance nobody had a problem with the line from the OT when Ben said to Luke "When I met your father he was already a great pilot... and I was AMAZED at how strong he was with The Force." So the implication is Anakin was a great pilot when Obi-Wan meets him. When he was six.

Lucas blatantly ignored a bunch of shit from the OT. 

Luke: “I have no memory of my mother”

Lea: “I remember her and she was beautiful” or something like that. 

Then Lucas kills off Padme during child birth. K. 

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's only been a week and I honestly can't remember a damned thing about this movie.

I wasn’t a fan but I wouldn’t go that far. I think everything about the Emperor at the end was pretty memorable. So was everything leading up to the Rey/Ben tug of war. 

Now you wanna talk about unmemorable? Let’s talk about the ENTIRE Marvel catalog. 

5 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

To be fair I believe there’s a line in ANH that talks about Luke flying around for fun on Tatoinee. Doesn’t the shooting wamp rats conversation also include being able to pilot through a canyon really well? I could be remembering that from some Star Wars PC game I played when I was kid though 😂

but in all seriousness. Anakin was able to be a pod racer because of his extreme sensitivity to the force enabled him to see a few seconds into the future or something. Giving him reflexes no other human possessed. Logically Rey and Luke would have had those same reflexes which would have translated into their ability to be great pilots. 

Yes...Luke talks about targeting womp rats in his speeder when he was home but we never see him do it. He just tells Han that he's a decent pilot and we don't see it until the end of the movie. We have no idea how he LEARNED to be a pilot because he's a farmer. We also didn't give a shit... we had the info directly from the character and we saw it later. The same with Rey... when she meets Finn and they are running from the Tie Fighter,  Finn says that they need a pilot and she says they got one... her. She tells him and the audience that she's a pilot (even though she has never left the atmosphere before) and then she shows it by outflying the Empire (impressing herself in the process as well) We didn't need to know how she learned anymore than we needed to learn how Luke or Anakin did and the info is there to fill in the blanks.

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Lucas blatantly ignored a bunch of shit from the OT. 

Luke: “I have no memory of my mother”

Lea: “I remember her and she was beautiful” or something like that. 

Then Lucas kills off Padme during child birth. K. 

Leia literally says she "just remembers images and feelings" about her mother and given how the Force works, it wouldn't be far fetched to assume she had visions of her mother from an early age that she assumed were memories...

At least that's how I always interpreted that little inconsistency :p The thing that's so crazy about that is that it's Lucas retconning himself. I NEVER understood the decision to start the Saga out with Anakin so young. The only reason I can think of is to sell toys and capture a younger audience. They could have met Anakin when he was sixteen... not six and the story wouldn't have needed to change much at all.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Leia literally says she "just remembers images and feelings" about her mother and given how the Force works, it wouldn't be far fetched to assume she had visions of her mother from an early age that she assumed were memories...

At least that's how I always interpreted that little inconsistency :p The thing that's so crazy about that is that it's Lucas retconning himself. I NEVER understood the decision to start the Saga out with Anakin so young. The only reason I can think of is to sell toys and capture a younger audience. They could have met Anakin when he was sixteen... not six and the story wouldn't have needed to change much at all.

Plus it made the the Padme/Anakin relationship creepy later on when she’s like a decade older than him but also knew him when he was six.

But supposedly she’s 14 in TPM, which opens a whole new can of worms for me.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Plus it made the the Padme/Anakin relationship creepy later on when she’s like a decade older than him but also knew him when he was six.

But supposedly she’s 14 in TPM, which opens a whole new can of worms for me.

Like when she was a 14 year old Queen, no big deal. Then you find out Queen is an elected office. WTF votes for a 14 year old to be the elected leader of your planet? 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Which is why Luke asks her about her REAL mother.

33 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

smh pay attention

Remember what I said about real fans missing glaringly obvious things in these not complex movies...

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Like when she was a 14 year old Queen, no big deal. Then you find out Queen is an elected office. WTF votes for a 14 year old to be the elected leader of your planet? 

This is the same planet that makes Jar Jar one of their elected representatives, so at least they protect their brand. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And Jar Jar paves the way for the rise of the Emperor... who was also from that same planet.

Famous royalty? Let's put her in charge regardless of age or experience!

Long-time representative despite a lot of behind the curtain dealings? Clearly he should represent us on a galactic scale. 

Bumbling fuckhead who did his time as a troop and shat his way to apparent military hero status? He should be in government!

We trust what the war hero says about the elder statesman!

What does the queen know? She's just a WOMAN. 

Naboo is a planet of neoliberal status-quo humpers. 

It should have gotten the zap from the Death Star.