~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I love this guy’s channel. There are many Star Wars “lore masters” out there, so there are lots of sources to get information. Anyways here is a video just uploaded explaining Palpatine’s plans for if he ever died using only cannon material. 

Yeah this guy does great videos even if his voice is annoying as shit :p

Great video on why TLJ is good. Especially the part about how the fanbase is not willing to accept anything that deviates from their own pre-conceived notion of what Star Wars is, which is an issue as everyone has different opinions. It touches on how ESB would likely be torn apart if released today for the same reasons TLJ is attacked, and yet both are considered critical successes and widely loved by audiences:

• Thanks 6

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Great video on why TLJ is good. Especially the part about how the fanbase is not willing to accept anything that deviates from their own pre-conceived notion of what Star Wars is, which is an issue as everyone has different opinions. It touches on how ESB would likely be torn apart if released today for the same reasons TLJ is attacked, and yet both are considered critical successes and widely loved by audiences:

ESB did get pushback at the time, too, which is interesting! It was even brought up when the prequels released, but the difference there was that the prequels weren't great films. :p 

Also, after Episode 9 releases, can you list what parts of the "spoilers" you read were accurate and which weren't? I've read nothing, so I'm actually curious how many leaks line up with the finished product, and how many were guesses or flat-out wrong. :) 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

ESB did get pushback at the time, too, which is interesting! It was even brought up when the prequels released, but the difference there was that the prequels weren't great films. :p 

Also, after Episode 9 releases, can you list what parts of the "spoilers" you read were accurate and which weren't? I've read nothing, so I'm actually curious how many leaks line up with the finished product, and how many were guesses or flat-out wrong. :) 

Yeah for sure! And things are still in flux. Many of the early spoilers have been changed in reshoots. Overall, I'd say for the better! I still have low expectations of IX in terms of the ideas it brings, but I am sure it will be very emotionally powerful, as well as fun!

I haven't read any spoilers but reading some of the comments and interviews that Abrams and the actors are starting to do has me worried that they are basically going to undo what they can of TLJ and lean HEAVILY into fan service for the finale. Suits at Disney were probably worried about the receptions of both Solo AND TLJ and are like "Fuck it, give the fans what they want!". So yeah, I'm starting to lower my expectations a bit because I'm pretty sure I have an idea how they're gonna wrap this up.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've watched a lot of TLJ takedowns and defenses. This is the best one I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

This is one of the best youtube breakdowns of a film I've ever seen. This guy gets it.

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is one of the best youtube breakdowns of a film I've ever seen. This guy gets it.

Yup, and it's not someone doing a boring shtick and nitpicking. Who would have thought?! :p 

The whole point of the biggest accomplishment being throwing down his light saber in defiance of the Emperor is exactly what I've been talking about for ages!

That was a solid video. I really liked how he handled the “Luke would NEVER do THAT!” stuff in particular. It’s why I’ve found it amusing that people suggest liking the TLJ treatment of Luke means you don’t really like Star Wars, or whatever similar dopey claim people make.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yup, and it's not someone doing a boring shtick and nitpicking. Who would have thought?! :p 

The whole point of the biggest accomplishment being throwing down his light saber in defiance of the Emperor is exactly what I've been talking about for ages!

Yeah and I've made that argument about Finn's arc particularly  since the movie came out. 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Man, this is REALLY good. 

Ben Solo meets the Emperor (well not really, but we hear some Emperor dialogue) in new promo:

Confirms what many suspected - Emperor has been behind everything all along, including Snoke. I think it's a totally creatively bankrupt choice to bring the Emperor back since it shits on the entire sacrifice/story of Anakin (and Luke), but I do trust that JJ will make it entertaining.

The only thing that promo really says is that he's influenced Ben all along, not that he had anything to do with Snoke.

Also, they've really been keeping the Emperor's looks hidden despite seeing him in every trilogy. I've been quite curious how a Sequel Trilogy Emperor is going to look since he's not 1:1 from Episode 3 to Episode 6. I keep thinking he's going to be in a jar a la Futurama.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The only thing that promo really says is that he's influenced Ben all along, not that he had anything to do with Snoke.

Also, they've really been keeping the Emperor's looks hidden despite seeing him in every trilogy. I've been quite curious how a Sequel Trilogy Emperor is going to look since he's not 1:1 from Episode 3 to Episode 6. I keep thinking he's going to be in a jar a la Futurama.

It's really just Boba Fett throwing his voice from the Sarlacc Pit.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

God Dammit 

That was really good.I really disliked that film when I watched and  was very disappointed in it. I am gonna re watch it tonight.

55 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ben Solo meets the Emperor (well not really, but we hear some Emperor dialogue) in new promo:

Confirms what many suspected - Emperor has been behind everything all along, including Snoke. I think it's a totally creatively bankrupt choice to bring the Emperor back since it shits on the entire sacrifice/story of Anakin (and Luke), but I do trust that JJ will make it entertaining.

Shouldnt this and the response be tagged spoilers for those trying to avoid any of this.

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That promo confirms nothing of the sort and could be a complete red herring. And as was stated before, even if they DO bring the Emperor back it doesn't SHIT on Anakin's arc in the least. Don't know why you keep insisting it does.Having said that, the movie comes out in a week and I'm REALLY trying to avoid spoilers and promo spots and stuff so I'll see you guys in a week.

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think he means you describing what happens in it. Not everyone is watching them or wants to know what happens in them. 

CV is completely incapable of understanding people not wanting to know things before seeing a film. He actively searches for spoilers and casually tosses them out.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

CV is completely incapable of understanding people not wanting to know things before seeing a film. He actively searches for spoilers and casually tosses them out.

36 minutes ago, Jose said:

Yeah, I love Riley, but he has a serious problem with this. He's been doing it for years.

I've specifically avoided it in this thread, going as far as offering to share things via PM, but not here. And past aside, how is describing a promotional spot a spoiler? This thread is about the trailer (and further discussion), so describing what happens in a trailer is open game. If it was leaked footage, I would agree.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've specifically avoided it in this thread, going as far as offering to share things via PM, but not here. And past aside, how is describing a promotional spot a spoiler? This thread is about the trailer (and further discussion), so describing what happens in a trailer is open game. If it was leaked footage, I would agree.

Your comments are the issue, and they can’t be removed from your knowledge of plot details. You did this allllll the time with GoT, for example.

As others have noted, the TV spot doesn’t do what you said in and of it itself...but connected to your knowledge of the plot of the film, maybe it means exactly that.

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Your comments are the issue, and they can’t be removed from your knowledge of plot details. You did this allllll the time with GoT, for example.

As others have noted, the TV spot doesn’t do what you said in and of it itself...but connected to your knowledge of the plot of the film, maybe it means exactly that.

My comments about not liking Palpatine in the movie are not connected to any plot details I know of, I simply dislike using him. The lines in the spot are also not included in any leak, so I was genuinely reacting to this information (which is new to me, and to everyone) that hints that Palpatine has been behind everything. Maybe that's wrong (or he's lying, obviously a character trait of the Emperor), but that's what I take from it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll leave this here but I've made this argument myself several times. He repeats some of the points I've made in the past as well as makes some ones I hadn't thought of. I ALWAYS thought this battle got a bad rap.

My biggest issues with the fight were the duel of flourishes at one point, and when they are climbing and swinging taking slap like swings at each other. Both moments are a bit unintentionally silly. 

Dialog was a little clunky too, but when wasn’t it in the PT. I actually liked the “I will do what I must.” “ you will try” exchange between them. I feel it does a good job of conveying Kenobi’s reluctance, and Anakin’s cockiness. What I will always hate is the clunky exchange ending with Anakin saying “from my point of view it s the Jedi that are evil.”

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll leave this here but I've made this argument myself several times. He repeats some of the points I've made in the past as well as makes some ones I hadn't thought of. I ALWAYS thought this battle got a bad rap.

I haven't seen the video, but my issue with this fight is that it feels like a circus act. At times it is too over the top, jam packed with daring trapeze acts and absurd close calls. It was still exciting, but I wish it was toned down a bit. It did not need to be turned up to 11 so to speak.