Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Movies ~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, CayceG said:

So I "rewatched" Return of the Jedi today in preparation for Rise of Skywalker... I wound up skipping probably an hour's worth of the movie including all of Jabba's palace, the speeder chase in the Endor woods, and the rebels being captured and taken to the Ewok village. Like... big hunks of that movie do NOT hold up. I think A New Hope, Empire, and Rogue One hold up very well on many many repeat viewings. But if we're spending a lot of time deconstructing The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, then we need to really realize that things aren't all peachy all the way back. And I think it started with Jedi. 

 

 

But holy shit did the remastered changes really murder this one. 

 

I'm thinking that my ranking will change after rewatching the original trilogy. 

 

Empire > New Hope > Rogue One > Last Jedi > TFA > ROTJ > the other bullshit

 

 

 

I rewatched the Star Wars movies a few years ago, and I actually thought Jabba's palace was better than I remember. Just a really fun rescue mission that lets the characters shine.

 

I haven't watched the Blu-Ray remasters because I think I'm good not hearing Vader say, "Nooooo...."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on a total media blackout, partially intentional and partially a lack of caring, and so I have seen exactly one non-poster image of this film that was on a passing TV. That shot is is Rey's George Foreman lightsaber flipping open.

 

I don't have a clue what the story is, but between that and Palpatine being on every poster I don't understand if Episode 8 even happened...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Wild said:

I've been on a total media blackout, partially intentional and partially a lack of caring, and so I have seen exactly one non-poster image of this film that was on a passing TV. That shot is is Rey's George Foreman lightsaber flipping open.

 

I don't have a clue what the story is, but between that and Palpatine being on every poster I don't understand if Episode 8 even happened...?

 

wtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

 

I rewatched the Star Wars movies a few years ago, and I actually thought Jabba's palace was better than I remember. Just a really fun rescue mission that lets the characters shine.

 

I haven't watched the Blu-Ray remasters because I think I'm good not hearing Vader say, "Nooooo...."

 

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

So I "rewatched" Return of the Jedi today in preparation for Rise of Skywalker... I wound up skipping probably an hour's worth of the movie including all of Jabba's palace, the speeder chase in the Endor woods, and the rebels being captured and taken to the Ewok village. Like... big hunks of that movie do NOT hold up. I think A New Hope, Empire, and Rogue One hold up very well on many many repeat viewings. But if we're spending a lot of time deconstructing The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, then we need to really realize that things aren't all peachy all the way back. And I think it started with Jedi. 

 

 

But holy shit did the remastered changes really murder this one. 

 

I'm thinking that my ranking will change after rewatching the original trilogy. 

 

Empire > New Hope > Rogue One > Last Jedi > TFA > ROTJ > the other bullshit

 

 

 

The last time I watched ROTJ I do remember thinking to myself, "Man this speeder chase is way longer than I realized."  I might have also fallen asleep during the chase too.  The only problem I have with Jabba's Palace is the singing.  The rest of sequence is just fun.  Overall ROTJ is definitely not the most cohesive movie of the OT, but I really do love that ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROTJ has the highest highs of the original trilogy, and all the Luke-Vader-Palpatine stuff is excellent. Given the prequels and sequels, ROTJ is pretty great to me at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

ROTJ has the highest highs of the original trilogy, and all the Luke-Vader-Palpatine stuff is excellent. Given the prequels and sequels, ROTJ is pretty great to me at least. 

 

Which is why it deserves rewatches from me. 

 

I just can't get down with the Jabba's palace rescue anymore. And truly, I'm more interested in the structure and existence of the Rebellion than I am the jedi story there. Which is why Rogue One ticked so many boxes for me. The Rey/Kylo story in the sequels has made a far bigger impression on me and has excited me WAY more than Luke/Vader ever did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

Which is why it deserves rewatches from me. 

 

I just can't get down with the Jabba's palace rescue anymore. And truly, I'm more interested in the structure and existence of the Rebellion than I am the jedi story there. Which is why Rogue One ticked so many boxes for me. The Rey/Kylo story in the sequels has made a far bigger impression on me and has excited me WAY more than Luke/Vader ever did. 

 

Well, I can understand that. To me the Jabba stuff is a lot of fun and expands the world building and mythology of Star Wars, so I appreciate it on a lot of those levels but I know many just feel ROTJ isn't as good (even beyond the Ewoks). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main criticisms of ROTJ are much like how people criticized The Last Jedi. 

 

Bad military tactics (Endor battle--both the empire and rebels pissed this down their legs//Ridiculous bomber assault on the dreadnought). Convoluted plans (exactly what WAS the plan to rescue Han?//What's the deal with this codebreaker again? You're in a sublight chase! Why are you leaving?!). Unexpected character revelations (where the fuck did Leia being Luke's sister come from!?//What is Rose and Finn's relationship exactly??)

 

I fully realize my criticisms are silly and boil down to exactly what I complain about in regards to other people criticizing TLJ--I think I could think up a better plot/execution. 

 

So anyway. That's my little rant that recognizes I've become what I hate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose has one of the best takes in all of Star Wars. The whole, “that’s how we’re gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate, by saving what we love,” is perfect. Both because it’s thematic with the operatic nature of Star Wars, but because it’s been proven literally true over and over in the narrative. The line is so good that I don’t give a shit that the good ship Finn & Rose barely left the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Rose has one of the best takes in all of Star Wars. The whole, “that’s how we’re gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate, by saving what we love,” is perfect. Both because it’s thematic with the operatic nature of Star Wars, but because it’s been proven literally true over and over in the narrative. The line is so good that I don’t give a shit that the good ship Finn & Rose barely left the port.

 

ABSOLUTELY. I am 100% not on board with Rose criticism. She's the moral center of the movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with Rose as a character. Even though I like TLJ, I did feel like Rose and Finn’s quest was a huge waste of time. It didn’t even spectacularly fail. Just run of of the mill, meh, failed. Instead General Mcsuicide I would have rather Rose and Finn accidentally overloaded a power generator or something on the ship trying to shut off the tracking device and that cause a chain of catastrophic explosions that lead to the ships destruction. But as it happened, if Rose and Finn did not go on their adventure the only thing that would have changed was the movie would be 30 minutes shorter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have no problem with Rose as a character. Even though I like TLJ, I did feel like Rose and Finn’s quest was a huge waste of time. It didn’t even spectacularly fail. Just run of of the mill, meh, failed. Instead General Mcsuicide I would have rather Rose and Finn accidentally overloaded a power generator or something on the ship trying to shut off the tracking device and that cause a chain of catastrophic explosions that lead to the ships destruction. But as it happened, if Rose and Finn did not go on their adventure the only thing that would have changed was the movie would be 30 minutes shorter. 

 

But then you wouldn't have had the spectacle that is SPACE VEGAS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

But then you wouldn't have had the spectacle that is SPACE VEGAS.

Possibly the weakest the universe has ever been expanded in a Star Wars product. lol it was just a casino. The most interesting thing about the whole planet is the force sensitive kid. And still had their adventure ended better, I’d be ok with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Possibly the weakest the universe has ever been expanded in a Star Wars product. lol it was just a casino. The most interesting thing about the whole planet is the force sensitive kid. And still had their adventure ended better, I’d be ok with it. 

they didn't even have any really interesting, imaginative gambling going on. Just a few weird creatures and a bunch of Bond film rejects. Weakest thing about the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

they didn't even have any really interesting, imaginative gambling going on. Just a few weird creatures and a bunch of Bond film rejects. Weakest thing about the film.

 

It makes Pazaak film canon, apparently, so that's cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was that the game from KOTOR?

 

Yea, it was. Always wanted a new update or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wild said:

 

Yea, it was. Always wanted a new update or something.

 

I never really played it... I think I'm due for a KOTOR replay. I never played the second KOTOR game either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

But then you wouldn't have had the spectacle that is SPACE VEGAS.

 

and that would have been a real shame [/sarcasm] :p my problem with Rose is that I just didn't find her to be a very interesting character at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Rose has one of the best takes in all of Star Wars. The whole, “that’s how we’re gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate, by saving what we love,” is perfect. Both because it’s thematic with the operatic nature of Star Wars, but because it’s been proven literally true over and over in the narrative. The line is so good that I don’t give a shit that the good ship Finn & Rose barely left the port.

And let's be real, Finn would have been vaporized causing no harm to the cannon if Rose didn't save his silly ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

And let's be real, Finn would have been vaporized causing no harm to the cannon if Rose didn't save his silly ass.

 

you aren't wrong. ship was going to blow before it even reached the cannon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Rose has one of the best takes in all of Star Wars. The whole, “that’s how we’re gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate, by saving what we love,” is perfect. Both because it’s thematic with the operatic nature of Star Wars, but because it’s been proven literally true over and over in the narrative. The line is so good that I don’t give a shit that the good ship Finn & Rose barely left the port.

 

Something a lot of people forget is that Luke literally defeated the entire Empire by just throwing away his weapon and then appealing to the good nature of his father. 

 

And the people who laughed at Rose will splooge in their pants when the Emperor is defeated this time by some cool attack.

 

EDIT - And obviously we don't know how the Emperor is back...but it really (to me) cheapens the ROTJ ending. I don't actually care that the OT trio had horrible lives after ROTJ, because life goes on. But the entire point of 1-6 was defeating the Emperor...so if he's back...what was the point? I feel like it's a "it's like poetry" moment for JJ. Like, I understand that after WWII there were other wars. But imagine if, in the closing days of the Vietnam War it was revealed that Hitler was behind it all. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

Something a lot of people forget is that Luke literally defeated the entire Empire by just throwing away his weapon and then appealing to the good nature of his father. 

 

And the people who laughed at Rose will splooge in their pants when the Emperor is defeated this time by some cool attack.

 

EDIT - And obviously we don't know how the Emperor is back...but it really (to me) cheapens the ROTJ ending. I don't actually care that the OT trio had horrible lives after ROTJ, because life goes on. But the entire point of 1-6 was defeating the Emperor...so if he's back...what was the point? I feel like it's a "it's like poetry" moment for JJ. Like, I understand that after WWII there were other wars. But imagine if, in the closing days of the Vietnam War it was revealed that Hitler was behind it all. Why?

 

That's one way to look at it... the other way is to look at all three trilogies being just as much the Emperor's story as The Skywalker's. I mean he STARTED The War and ended the Republic. Seems somewhat fitting that the end of the saga would end in his ultimate defeat. I wish they would have laid the seeds of his return in The Force Awakens though because bringing him back in the third movie seems kinda sudden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have been fine with the events of the ST having been his backup plan or something...but having had him actually survive the DSII would be very...JJ. 

 

Unless we are getting an Emperor clone, in which case people who hated the EU will have a field day since it's basically Dark Empire without the best parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I would have been fine with the events of the ST having been his backup plan or something...but having had him actually survive the DSII would be very...JJ. 

 

Unless we are getting an Emperor clone, in which case people who hated the EU will have a field day since it's basically Dark Empire without the best parts.

Inevitably, there will be a large amount of the Star Wars community that will be upset about something.  There really is no way to make the majority of that community happy.

 

I am expecting that they've used some force power that is currently not part of cannon to bring him back.  I really think that JJ will want to expand what is possible in the universe, rather than limiting it to what was deemed possible in the old EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

Something a lot of people forget is that Luke literally defeated the entire Empire by just throwing away his weapon and then appealing to the good nature of his father. 

 

And the people who laughed at Rose will splooge in their pants when the Emperor is defeated this time by some cool attack.

 

EDIT - And obviously we don't know how the Emperor is back...but it really (to me) cheapens the ROTJ ending. I don't actually care that the OT trio had horrible lives after ROTJ, because life goes on. But the entire point of 1-6 was defeating the Emperor...so if he's back...what was the point? I feel like it's a "it's like poetry" moment for JJ. Like, I understand that after WWII there were other wars. But imagine if, in the closing days of the Vietnam War it was revealed that Hitler was behind it all. Why?

Not the first time. In Legends Palpatine was brought back where he possessed clones of himself. 
 

I dunno, maybe Rian Johnson screwed everything up by killing Snoke so we could not have him as the final evil to kill in the third movie. And they think they need a big evil so that Kylo can find his way back to the light with something to confront. 
 

Right now I’m ok with it being Palpatine. Palpatine was the culmination of 2 thousand years of the Sith’s great plan to one day destroy the Jedi and taken over the Republic. 
 

Palpatine spent his political career trying to consolidate power for himself. Spent the time as Emporer setting up the Empire so it only functioned with him in charge, and trying to find a way to circumvent death to maintain power. And he didn’t want to do it via his spirit just possessing a Sith Artifact. Otherwise he’d loose the freedom of mobility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People getting fucked up, tossed down holes, and then living for no good reason is a tradition at this point, too. :p I don't love it, but if Maul can survive GETTING CHOPPED IN HALF, surely Sheev can survive a little lightning flambe followed by getting dunked NBA Jam style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

People getting fucked up, tossed down holes, and then living for no good reason is a tradition at this point, too. :p I don't love it, but if Maul can survive GETTING CHOPPED IN HALF, surely Sheev can survive a little lightning flambe followed by getting dunked NBA Jam style.

To be fair, Maul had garbage to make trash, robo-spider legs to keep him alive. That’s just good sciencing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

To be fair, Maul had garbage to make trash, robo-spider legs to keep him alive. That’s just good sciencing. 

Maybe that burst of electricity at the end of Jedi after Sheev fell in the hole was him cumming Force Lightning because he put big bacta tanks down there and it feels super good to fall into them from thousands of feet. It would explain why there's no fucking railing there at all. He did it all the time for fun. We just don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched TLJ the other night and those three casino scenes aren’t even long. You’d think it’s a third of the movie considering how often people try to justify their hate for the movie. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, CayceG said:

 

Which is why it deserves rewatches from me. 

 

I just can't get down with the Jabba's palace rescue anymore. And truly, I'm more interested in the structure and existence of the Rebellion than I am the jedi story there. Which is why Rogue One ticked so many boxes for me. The Rey/Kylo story in the sequels has made a far bigger impression on me and has excited me WAY more than Luke/Vader ever did. 

 

You know what bothers me about Jabba's palace?

 

Lando lifting down his mask. It's done as a reveal, but he doesn't need it to look at what's happening, so it's literally only down for the audience.

 

FFFUUU-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Inevitably, there will be a large amount of the Star Wars community that will be upset about something.  There really is no way to make the majority of that community happy.

 

I am expecting that they've used some force power that is currently not part of cannon to bring him back.  I really think that JJ will want to expand what is possible in the universe, rather than limiting it to what was deemed possible in the old EU.

The majority of that "community" aren't even fans of Star Wars, they're just broken people looking to join e-gangs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...