~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

I have a feeling that this movie is going to be VERY well received by fans, and then like TFA, see a dropoff within a month or two (in opinion) once people realize how it almost entirely relies on nostalgia. If TFA was ANH, then TROS is ROTJ:

• Palpatine is big bad
  • Death Star II is literally in the movie
  • Wicket the Ewok reappears
  • Lando
  • More planet-destroyers

And then throw in use of old songs, etc. I'm not saying that it won't be enjoyable! TFA was also very fun and well-made. But it was a weak effort with almost no creative input into the franchise, and I feel like TROS will be the same. Actually, the entire ST so far has been pretty devoid of new ideas and lore.

55 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I have a feeling that this movie is going to be VERY well received by fans, and then like TFA, see a dropoff within a month or two (in opinion) once people realize how it almost entirely relies on nostalgia. If TFA was ANH, then TROS is ROTJ:

• Palpatine is big bad
  • Death Star II is literally in the movie
  • Wicket the Ewok reappears
  • Lando
  • More planet-destroyers

And then throw in use of old songs, etc. I'm not saying that it won't be enjoyable! TFA was also very fun and well-made. But it was a weak effort with almost no creative input into the franchise, and I feel like TROS will be the same. Actually, the entire ST so far has been pretty devoid of new ideas and lore.

maybe because when you're concluding a specific saga, that might not be the best time to introduce new shit? That's what series like The Mandalorian and other media like Jedi Fallen order is for.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

maybe because when you're concluding a specific saga, that might not be the best time to introduce new shit? That's what series like The Mandalorian and other media like Jedi Fallen order is for.

There was more time between the OT and ST than between the PT and OT, yet technology looks basically the same. They could have at least introduced new fighters or something, but everything is just reskinned for the sake of nostalgia. I'm sure someone can come up with an in-universe explanation (New Republic has been broke, etc), but the real reason is that JJ and co. wanted to pull on the heartstrings of fans. I'm not expecting the level of difference between the old Republic and Empire...but the ST is basically just Ralph McQuarrie's original OT artwork come to life. That's very cool, but it's also nothing new. And yes the ST is the "conclusion" to the Skywalker saga, but it's three movies totaling something like 8 hours, so there is more than enough time to introduce new aesthetics. I don't think anyone would believe that JJ had any real in-universe rationale for re-using and re-skinning OT designs. This is the guy that brought back Luke's saber from a gas giant with no explanation...and looks to possibly be doing the same with the Emperor. Much like Zack Snyder makes movies so that he can cut cool trailers, JJ makes movies so that he can make interesting set pieces...canon be damned.

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There was more time between the OT and ST than between the PT and OT, yet technology looks basically the same. They could have at least introduced new fighters or something, but everything is just reskinned for the sake of nostalgia. I'm sure someone can come up with an in-universe explanation (New Republic has been broke, etc), but the real reason is that JJ and co. wanted to pull on the heartstrings of fans. I'm not expecting the level of difference between the old Republic and Empire...but the ST is basically just Ralph McQuarrie's original OT artwork come to life. That's very cool, but it's also nothing new. And yes the ST is the "conclusion" to the Skywalker saga, but it's three movies totaling something like 8 hours, so there is more than enough time to introduce new aesthetics. I don't think anyone would believe that JJ had any real in-universe rationale for re-using and re-skinning OT designs. This is the guy that brought back Luke's saber from a gas giant with no explanation...and looks to possibly be doing the same with the Emperor. Much like Zack Snyder makes movies so that he can cut cool trailers, JJ makes movies so that he can make interesting set pieces...canon be damned.

Jesus 🙄

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm fine with re-using those kinds of assets.  The more egregious offense is his plot:  Having the saber be a McGuffin at all.  Re-using the Death Star trope for a third time, in the same ticking time bomb manner as ANH.  At least ROTJ used the trope a different way, giving us the best moments of the entire Saga with the throne room scenes. Making Kylo a Vader rip-off.  Worse yet, not giving us any reason why he worships Vader, a person he's never met, at all.  Snoke and The First Order existing as copycat Palpatine and Empire.  Han and Leia being the same exact characters as we first met them in ANH.  And then JJ has the audacity to meta commentate on these bad decisions by having characters of movie say shit like "There's always a way to blow it (Starkiller base) up" and "going back to doing what they (Han + Leia) were good at."  All of the interesting character development takes place outside the scope of the movies.

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Star Wars Fans: "TFA sucks because Han and Leia didn't change at all! Plus why are they still using the same ships from the O.T.?"

Also Star Wars Fans: "TLJ sucks because Luke changed too much and would NEVER give up to dispair no matter how momentary it was!"

:lol: you can't make this shit up.

I mean it's obviously not the same people saying both those things.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Star Wars Fans: "TFA sucks because Han and Leia didn't change at all! Plus why are they still using the same ships from the O.T.?"

Also Star Wars Fans: "TLJ sucks because Luke changed too much and would NEVER give up to dispair no matter how momentary it was!"

:lol: you can't make this shit up.

To be fair, I don't think the first is what @cusideabelincoln was saying. He said they were the same characters as we met them in ANH, meaning it was like they ignored the character development that happened with them in ESB and RotJ (and ANH itself).

1 minute ago, legend said:

To be fair, I don't think the first is what @cusideabelincoln was saying. He said they were the same characters as we met them in ANH, meaning it was like they ignored the character development that happened with them in ESB and RotJ (and ANH itself).

I actually like disillusioned Luke because it gives us a portrayal of someone questioning concepts that people just hold onto. I can see the other argument, though, and also acknowledge how he got there is a bit weak as we have been shown, since all of the character development for the Luke/Kylo breakup happens off-screen.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I actually like disillusioned Luke because it gives us a portrayal of someone questioning concepts that people just hold onto. I can see the other argument, though, and also acknowledge how he got there is a bit weak as we have been shown, since all of the character development for the Luke/Kylo breakup happens off-screen.

Par for the course with Star Wars as quite a lot of Luke’s training in the force also happens off screen. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

lol 

Disney: releases ROS “Final Trailer”. 

Disney: Spends next weeks releasing a dozen other new trailers with snips of new footage. 

Those are TV spots.

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I didn't mean to single you out and was speaking more generally... the criticisms of these films run the gamut when the simple truth is that they are basically children's films that adults are scrutinizing like they're War and Peace. The disconnect comes from the fact that for some, the films no longer have the same impact on them as they did when they were kids... they grew up, the films really didnt and a lot of the stuff that people are criticizing the modern films for was in the O.T. as well. So we get all of these over thought analyses to rationalize why people dont feel the same about the films. Accept the fact the movies are what they are and enjoy them or not. But these circular critiques from "fans" are comical to be honest. Again @cusideabelincoln no offense.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

No it doesn’t. This isn’t some new nomenclature :p 

it is still the definition of a trailer. 

trail·er

/ˈtrālər/

Learn to pronounce

noun

an unpowered vehicle towed by another.

an excerpt or series of excerpts from a movie or program used to advertise it in advance; a preview.

"terrific trailers for mediocre movies"

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it is still the definition of a trailer. 

trail·er

/ˈtrālər/

Learn to pronounce

noun

an unpowered vehicle towed by another.

an excerpt or series of excerpts from a movie or program used to advertise it in advance; a preview.

"terrific trailers for mediocre movies"

TV spots and trailers are different and are often produced by different vendors for the studios. @sbfilms is not being pedantic,  they are LITERALLY different things and serve different purposes.  The biggest difference is that it's rare that you would see a TV spot on the big screen, while trailers are will most definitely be seen in theaters 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I rewatched Solo today... that movie definitely gets a bad rap. Not nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe.

problem with Solo rather than just tell a cool story they tried way way way too hard to try and cram in and explain all those little tidbits that were already known or hinted about Han's past. It's enjoyable, but could have been so much better. Definitely doesn't deserve all the hate it gets...and most definitely not the worst SW movie. 

7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

problem with Solo rather than just tell a cool story they tried way way way too hard to try and cram in and explain all those little tidbits that were already known or hinted about Han's past. It's enjoyable, but could have been so much better. Definitely doesn't deserve all the hate it gets...and most definitely not the worst SW movie. 

The dice thing was unnecessary and it would have been cool to see him spend more time as part of Beckett's crew. They basically did ONE job and that was it. No reason for that to be honest. Other than that, it was a fun movie.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

The dice thing was unnecessary and it would have been cool to see him spend more time as part of Beckett's crew. They basically did ONE job and that was it. No reason for that to be honest. Other than that, it was a fun movie.

dice thing was definitely unnecessary, but then it was stupid when we saw them in TLJ, they just came out of nowhere and meant nothing 

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean if they wanted to show something that is quintessential Han they could have show the origin of his vest. The Dice came out of nowhere.

Well, judging from how the movie treated anything Han, he would have gotten it from a random, drunken smuggler walking by. Disillusioned with life, just take off the vest and hand in it to Han, while he talked about quitting and going straight.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't mean to single you out and was speaking more generally... the criticisms of these films run the gamut when the simple truth is that they are basically children's films that adults are scrutinizing like they're War and Peace. The disconnect comes from the fact that for some, the films no longer have the same impact on them as they did when they were kids... they grew up, the films really didnt and a lot of the stuff that people are criticizing the modern films for was in the O.T. as well. So we get all of these over thought analyses to rationalize why people dont feel the same about the films. Accept the fact the movies are what they are and enjoy them or not. But these circular critiques from "fans" are comical to be honest. Again @cusideabelincoln no offense.

The seeming conflicting viewpoints is probably caused by everyone having their own unique opinion on the movies.  Hell I have multiple opinions of them myself, because they do great things and they also do bad things.  So I was not strongly offended; these days I don't get overly excited (only a little excited) about these arguments because I fought intensely during the Prequel Wars and am a little burned out LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The seeming conflicting viewpoints is probably caused by everyone having their own unique opinion on the movies.  Hell I have multiple opinions of them myself, because they do great things and they also do bad things.  So I was not strongly offended; these days I don't get overly excited (only a little excited) about these arguments because I fought intensely during the Prequel Wars and am a little burned out LOL.

Prequel wars veteran :p

So I "rewatched" Return of the Jedi today in preparation for Rise of Skywalker... I wound up skipping probably an hour's worth of the movie including all of Jabba's palace, the speeder chase in the Endor woods, and the rebels being captured and taken to the Ewok village. Like... big hunks of that movie do NOT hold up. I think A New Hope, Empire, and Rogue One hold up very well on many many repeat viewings. But if we're spending a lot of time deconstructing The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, then we need to really realize that things aren't all peachy all the way back. And I think it started with Jedi. 

But holy shit did the remastered changes really murder this one. 

I'm thinking that my ranking will change after rewatching the original trilogy. 

Empire > New Hope > Rogue One > Last Jedi > TFA > ROTJ > the other bullshit