~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

• 2 weeks later...

“In Episode 7, I was adhering to a kind of approach that felt right for ‘Star Wars’ in my head,” Abrams tells the magazine. “It was about finding a visual language, like shooting on locations and doing practical things as much as possible. And we continue that in Episode 9, but I also found myself doing things that I’m not sure I would have been as daring to do on Episode 7.”

Abrams credits the storytelling risks of Johnson’s “The Last Jedi” for helping show him the need to continue to be bold in “The Rise of Skywalker.” As Abrams puts it, “Rian helped remind me that that’s why we’re on these movies — not to just do something that you’ve seen before.”

“I won’t say that I felt constrained or limited on 7, but I found myself wanting to do something that felt more consistent with the original trilogy than not,” Abrams concluded. “And on 9, I found myself feeling like I’m just gonna go for it a bit more.”

While Johnson has been at the center of backlash for well over a year thanks to his divisive “Last Jedi” script, Abrams has long maintained that Johnson’s “Star Wars” movie fit as needed into the larger story first started in “The Force Awakens.” 

I guess we'll see when it's out. One thing I've really liked about the sequels are exactly what sequels are supposed to do: tell new stories with new characters or new stories via existing characters. With the prequels, you knew who was going to live by the end. It was nice to not know exactly how Episode 7 would go, but you kind of saw that they were playing with an Episode 4 framework, so the ending wasn't a shock.

With Episode 8, I had no idea how it was going to proceed whatsoever. Many swerves, plenty of cool surprises, and a masterful climax (probably one of my favorites in the Star Wars universe along with Empire), it was some really good shit. I'd like to feel like, "wtf's gonna happen," in 9.

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I think you mean thanks to Rian Johnson screwing over the entire SW universe :p 

I'm pretty sure Rian Johnson has enough experience writing, directing and winning awards that he knows more about how to make a good movie out of the Star Wars universe than the, "howd the bombs drop vertically" crowd. :p 

• Thanks 1

There was a poll on ResetERA yesterday about TLJ. Just "Did you like it?" And the results were something like 65-35 Yes vs No. It was nice to see that the very vocal minority was in fact a minority and was shown that, even on an internet forum where the most vocal fans live. I would bet if you polled the general public it would be even higher, like 80-20 at least. That is not to say that general popularity = good movie! But the idea that TLJ has ruined Star Wars in general is a dumb opinion. I don't give a shit if people don't like it personally, because I don't like TFA after the first 1/3 too (first 1/3 is fantastic). But I don't like it when the general feeling of the public is misrepresented. TLJ was overwhelmingly popular.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There was a poll on ResetERA yesterday about TLJ. Just "Did you like it?" And the results were something like 65-35 Yes vs No. It was nice to see that the very vocal minority was in fact a minority and was shown that, even on an internet forum where the most vocal fans live. I would bet if you polled the general public it would be even higher, like 80-20 at least. That is not to say that general popularity = good movie! But the idea that TLJ has ruined Star Wars in general is a dumb opinion. I don't give a shit if people don't like it personally, because I don't like TFA after the first 1/3 too (first 1/3 is fantastic). But I don't like it when the general feeling of the public is misrepresented. TLJ was overwhelmingly popular.

Honestly the only hate I've personally experienced for TLJ was on this board although I've known that it exists on other parts of the internet. Like I said, I saw TLJ opening night in Hollywood at the Chinese Theater with a whole group of die-hard Star Wars fans including my buddy who did a documentary on Star Wars fans lining up for days to see The Phantom Menace. Everyone left the theater loving the movie even though it did some things that were unexpected. Again, this was a theater FULL of Star Wars fans and they do this every time a new Star Wars film is released. I can't imagine a more die hard group of fans and they loved the movie so :shrug:

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm pretty sure Rian Johnson has enough experience writing, directing and winning awards that he knows more about how to make a good movie out of the Star Wars universe than the, "howd the bombs drop vertically" crowd. :p 

You may be sure, but I'm not. If he were then he might know enough not to shit on the legacy by completely altering the core character that was the focal point of the original trilogy. 

That being said, I can't wait to see Knives Out :p 

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

You may be sure, but I'm not. If he were then he might know enough not to shit on the legacy by completely altering the core character that was the focal point of the original trilogy. 

I've got my Knives Out for this because he did no such thing. :nerd:

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I've got my Knives Out for this because he did no such thing. :nerd:

of course he did. Luke was the hope personified, willing to sacrifice himself to save Vader...but he senses the dark side in Ben and suddenly...even if for only an instant, his instinct is to kill him? Then he turns his back on everything he fought so hard to protect over the decades? of course this only one of many issues I had with the film...I won't harp on the insanely simplistic and rich/technological superior bad...earthy/nature good ...mostly because that was inline and a continuation of the what we saw out of Lucas...or the fact that the entire movie was a pointless slow chase with more plot holes then seen in your average piece of swiss cheese not the least of which would be Admiral purple hair keeping the escape plan a secret for ...NO GOOD REASON AT ALL :p 

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

of course he did. Luke was the hope personified, willing to sacrifice himself to save Vader...but he senses the dark side in Ben and suddenly...even if for only an instant, his instinct is to kill him? Then he turns his back on everything he fought so hard to protect over the decades?

Luke was a rash person who rushed into things and never really completed his training (he wasn't ready to fight Vader at the end of Empire but had to fight Vader again shortly into Jedi). He's a good person who succumbs to his fears and is good enough to realize it, then feels he failed and is another in a long line of Jedi who raised evil and continued a cycle of failure (to which we have history of this). None of this goes against a single thing about Luke or isn't something Luke could reasonably do 30 years after Jedi unless we're expecting him to be flawless for the rest of time.

Agree to disagree. Luke was rash, but we see him mature over the original trilogy. One might say one of his flaws is his dedication to friends and family which is why that sudden thought of killing Ben is the LAST thing one would expect from him. As I said agree to disagree. I'm not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine. I thought the movie was crap but it is what it is. It's not like they are going to remake it. I just hope JJ gives us a satisfying conclusion...at least as much as it is possible. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes next. I hope to hell it is something completely fresh and has little to no connection with the skywalker saga.

30 years passed between The two trilogies... 30 YEARS. People change a LOT in 30 years... I don't think 30 passed in the Logan timeline and look how different he and Professor X were than what we're used to in that film.

Also Luke had a "fleeting moment" where he contemplated ending Ben. It wasn't like he was plotting his murder for days or hours even... it was a moment of fear and panic when Luke realized how far gone his nephew was. Knowing what a Skywalker who goes over to the Dark Side is capable of, it makes PERFECT sense that Luke would at least have a moment of panic. Again... A MOMENT.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I know we’ve covered this a billion times here, but in TLJ Luke goes into INCREDIBLY SPECIFIC detail about how and why what happened, happened. I understand not LIKING it, but the notion that Luke wasn’t entitled to a MOMENT of weakness because he’s Luke is... bananas.

and you even see it from Ben's point of view as well so you can see how he would be tipped to the Dark Side waking to see his mentor and Uncle standing over him with a light saber. Of all of the critiques of TLJ the whole "Luke wouldn't do that" is definitely one of the weakest.  I mean in the extended universe that Star Wars nerds love so much he fell to the dark side and became The Emperor's Apprentice at one point :lol:

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

and you even see it from Ben's point of view as well so you can see how he would be tipped to the Dark Side waking to see his mentor and Uncle standing over him with a light saber. Of all of the critiques of TLJ the whole "Luke wouldn't do that" is definitely one of the weakest.  I mean in the extended universe that Star Wars nerds love so much he fell to the dark side and became The Emperor's Apprentice at one point :lol:

And they always like to play that off as a one-off lower-tier-importance comic. But it is referenced frequently in the proceeding books.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly the only hate I've personally experienced for TLJ was on this board although I've known that it exists on other parts of the internet. Like I said, I saw TLJ opening night in Hollywood at the Chinese Theater with a whole group of die-hard Star Wars fans including my buddy who did a documentary on Star Wars fans lining up for days to see The Phantom Menace. Everyone left the theater loving the movie even though it did some things that were unexpected. Again, this was a theater FULL of Star Wars fans and they do this every time a new Star Wars film is released. I can't imagine a more die hard group of fans and they loved the movie so :shrug:

I see outrage videos pop up all the time on my Youtube recommendations. My uncle and cousin, who cosplay as various Star Wars characters, don't care for the new trilogy - although they don't distinctly hate and rage over it.  And there's some coworkers of mine who didn't care for TLJ either, basically saying it was rubbish.  Divisiveness is out there

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Agree to disagree. Luke was rash, but we see him mature over the original trilogy. One might say one of his flaws is his dedication to friends and family which is why that sudden thought of killing Ben is the LAST thing one would expect from him. As I said agree to disagree. I'm not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine. I thought the movie was crap but it is what it is. It's not like they are going to remake it. I just hope JJ gives us a satisfying conclusion...at least as much as it is possible. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes next. I hope to hell it is something completely fresh and has little to no connection with the skywalker saga.

Mark Hamill agrees with you; he definitely didn't like the direction Luke's character went.  But I don't think TLJ's story was the real reason for this character change.  I think it was the most interesting and best direction the story could have went after what happened in TFA, in which the driving plot of "let's find Luke" was weak as hell.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I see outrage videos pop up all the time on my Youtube recommendations. My uncle and cousin, who cosplay as various Star Wars characters, don't care for the new trilogy - although they don't distinctly hate and rage over it.  And there's some coworkers of mine who didn't care for TLJ either, basically saying it was rubbish.  Divisiveness is out there

Mark Hamill agrees with you; he definitely didn't like the direction Luke's character went.  But I don't think TLJ's story was the real reason for this character change.  I think it was the most interesting and best direction the story could have went after what happened in TFA, in which the driving plot of "let's find Luke" was weak as hell.

not trying to convince others, merely stating my opinion on the movie …. as for TFA's plot, I said that was all that impressive at all. I did enjoy the film if for no other reason that the pure feeling of nostalgia it evoked, but given it pretty much took pieces from all three of the original films it would pretty much be impossible for it not to. My current feelings on that one is that it's a mediocre film but lightyears better than the prequel trilogy. As I've said, I can't wait for something completely new. 

10 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

That being said, I can't wait to see Knives Out :p 

In the movies, Luke has always been controlled by his emotions. He's rash, he's afraid, he's whiny, and he's angry. The only time we see him calm and in total control is when he says "You've failed, your heiness..." Other than that he lets his emotions control him 100% of the time. To think that he'd revert to that after a major failure is completely believable.

Lol there's even precedent in the original trilogy for "pure as the driven snow, always hopeful" Luke Skywalker to give into his fear and rage... In Jedi, the second Dual with Vader, Luke gives into rage at The Emperor's taunts and defeats Vader, cutting off his arm. And he was enraged A LOT longer than a moment before he regained control... so yeah.

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

In the movies, Luke has always been controlled by his emotions. He's rash, he's afraid, he's whiny, and he's angry. The only time we see him calm and in total control is when he says "You've failed, your heiness..." Other than that he lets his emotions control him 100% of the time. To think that he'd revert to that after a major failure is completely believable.

But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jose said:

I mean the way Ben said it in TLJ, I always assumed he was fucking with her.

Rian Johnson certainly left it ambiguous, but given the ultimate theme of TLJ is "anyone can be a Jedi/hero" I'd argue he was trying to imply that she is nobody, but that means she's also somebody and can be anything she wants (with hard work, etc.). 

40 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Rian Johnson certainly left it ambiguous, but given the ultimate theme of TLJ is "anyone can be a Jedi/hero" I'd argue he was trying to imply that she is nobody, but that means she's also somebody and can be anything she wants (with hard work, etc.). 

Yeah, agreed.

Though we all know it’s ultimately gonna mean that Sheev did Ray and her family dirty, alas.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, agreed.

Though we all know it’s ultimately gonna mean that Sheev did Ray and her family dirty, alas.

Yeah, it's most definitely going there. Kind of sad because when Kylo Ren so dismissively threw out Rey's heritage as meaningless, I loved the subversion of how we thought it mattered but it doesn't. JJ full fan service Abrams will change that, as you said.