~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

Just now, elbobo said:

Episode 8 - let the past die

Episode 9  literally called rise of the skywalker with luke voice over and emperor tease 

so glad everyone planned it all out when they were making this trilogy 

That's business as usual in the Star Wars universe.

2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Episode 8 - let the past die

Episode 9  literally called rise of the skywalker with luke voice over and emperor tease 

so glad everyone planned it all out when they were making this trilogy 

It's cool, all the head cannon puds will get their rocks off over it.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That does not inspire confidence.

No doubt. It could be an entertaining movie (just like TFA was), but really JJ... I am expecting total fan service at this point. Rey will be a Skywalker but made by the Emperor and the Emperor used Anakin's force sperm to make her and the Death Star ruins will be the final fight location and the Emperor's ghost will be there. Something bullshit like that.

That opening scene looks awesome. I'm cool with Luke being a guiding force. I'm less enthused by what the title might mean or by the return of the emperor. I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be a villain "above" (for lack of a better word) Kylo. The voice over, the laugh, the title, and the shot of welding the helmet back together make it hard not to think that JJ is putting all his pieces back where he wanted them before Johnson came in and broke it.

Still, the trailers for these movies have never been too straightforward. While JJ has never been great at endings, he did make an excellent Star Wars film last go around, and I think he had the most interesting setup for a film in the series history. I choose hope.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No doubt. It could be an entertaining movie (just like TFA was), but really JJ... I am expecting total fan service at this point. Rey will be a Skywalker but made by the Emperor and the Emperor used Anakin's force sperm to make her and the Death Star ruins will be the final fight location and the Emperor's ghost will be there. Something bullshit like that.

Don't forget that when Ben said Rey's parents were no one, he was telling the truth, from a certain point of view; thereby living up to his namesake.

For what it's worth, the 'No one's ever really gone' with Palpatine's laugh could just reference the fact that Anakin was redeemed in the end, and the same could happen with Kylo. Meaning no fan service bullshit.

That's not what it will ultimately mean, but a man can dream.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Don't forget that when Ben said Rey's parents were no one, he was telling the truth, from a certain point of view; thereby living up to his namesake.

Haha. 

Rey: "You said my parents were no one!"

Ben: "This is true, because you are a clone of my grandfather, Darth Vader!"

Rey: "That's not true, that's impossible!" (winks at camera)

Ben: "The ghost of the Emperor told me!"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Indeed. But I hope it's wrong because it's so ridiculous.

It'd be a bit better if 'Skywalker' is just the 'new way' he pined for in TLJ...The Jedi Order without all of the naiveté. 'I'm a follower of Skywalker.'

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Indeed. But I hope it's wrong because it's so ridiculous.

"We are all Skywalkers now."

The Prequel Trilogy was about the rise of the Sith (the Dark Side).

The Original Trilogy was about the rebirth of the Jedi (the Light Side).

The Sequel Trilogy is about the creation of the Skywalkers, neither Jedi nor Sith (the Balance between the two).

9 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Kylo is a Skywalker from his mother's side so it could theoretically refer to him

Yeah it could refer to his light side triumphing over his dark side. 

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

"We are all Skywalkers now."

The Prequel Trilogy was about the rise of the Sith (the Dark Side).

The Original Trilogy was about the rebirth of the Jedi (the Light Side).

The Sequel Trilogy is about the creation of the Skywalkers (the Balance between the two).

Well Anakin WAS the one who was supposed to bring "balance" to the force so if his progeny end up embracing both light and dark then technically, he would have done so... "From a certain point of view" :p

EDIT: That is a dumb lazy name though.

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't love the title. But it could be referring to the legend of Luke Skywalker that was pretty established in the previous film.

Which doesn't necessarily contradict our working theory that "Skywalker" becomes the description of a balanced Force user.

Oh geeze - I just figured out the inspiration: it's similar to how a "Christian" is a follower of Christ.

It's a fine trailer, but my enthusiasm for this trilogy (and star wars in general) has waned quite a bit.

I thought we were getting away from skywalkers? Is there any plan at all for these movies? They feel like half-baked flimsy skeletons of movies written solely to shuffle us from action set piece to action set piece.