~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

20 minutes ago, johnny said:

LOL, yikes 

I mean, he did. You can like his story better, but he fucked the story up. There wasn't really anything to look forward to in the next movie because of his choices. All that was left was another Rey v Kylo. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I mean, he did. You can like his story better, but he fucked the story up. There wasn't really anything to look forward to in the next movie because of his choices. All that was left was another Rey v Kylo. 

We need more than one antagonist in a movie? 

Just now, johnny said:

We need more than one antagonist in a movie? 

I mean there is nothing left but that. There is nothing interesting to explore in the Sequel trilogy. Rian took everything that could have been neat, said fuck that, threw it in the trash, and then left no reason to continue the story outside of the final showdown.  

I am not saying there needs to be more antagonists. 

JJ Star Wars movies have really good trailers! As much as I hate the apparently laziness of bringing Palpatine back, I still want to see him cackling to Rey about how everything has gone exactly as he wanted. When you think back to all the Star Wars films, arguably some of the highest peaks came from him, especially in the prequels which almost had nothing else of value. He steals the show in Episode 3 and I don't even like the movie overall. 

The scenes look beautiful, and I'm just curious to see how JJ ends this thing. I don't get too excited for SW anymore, especially after Solo, but I still think there is tons of untapped potential.

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

I hope that C-3PO line isn't in the movie. I didn't like it, and can't recall him having anything to do with this new cast. The power of friendship is fuckin lame. That shit only works in Kid's cartoons. I hope C-3PO dies. 

He could have had they replaced Admiral Holdo with him in the last film (which would have made far more sense).....now that would have been a great send off to his character.  

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I hope that C-3PO line isn't in the movie. I didn't like it, and can't recall him having anything to do with this new cast. The power of friendship is fuckin lame. That shit only works in Kid's cartoons. I hope C-3PO dies. 

Maybe I'm way off base here but I seem to be the only one that thought he meant something completely different. I thought they might have been wiring into his memories and he was going to take a look back at Luke, Han, and Leia.

2 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

He could have had they replaced Admiral Holdo with him in the last film (which would have made far more sense).....now that would have been a great send off to his character.  

I've seen this complaint consistently... "why didn't they use a droid to suicide run the Starship into The First Order's fleet?" I have a question about that... How many times in the history of these films have we seen a droid fly ANYTHING without a humanoid partner? Not talking about the Droid pilots in Phantom Menace (they were controlled by that big station Anakin destroyed anyway) Has it been established that Droids can fly ships alone in The Star War?

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've seen this complaint consistently... "why didn't they use a droid to suicide run the Starship into The First Order's fleet?" I have a question about that... How many times in the history of these films have we seen a droid fly ANYTHING without a humanoid partner? Not talking about the Droid pilots in Phantom Menace (they were controlled by that big station Anakin destroyed anyway) Has it been established that Droids can fly ships alone in The Star War?

I really don't want to get into a long TLJ discussion, but I think it's fair to say that the capabilities of droids has been extremely inconsistent throughout Star Wars media. R2-D2, as much as I love him, is exhibits A-Z by himself. Rogue One only further complicated the situation.

Just now, TwinIon said:

I really don't want to get into a long TLJ discussion, but I think it's fair to say that the capabilities of droids has been extremely inconsistent throughout Star Wars media. R2-D2, as much as I love him, is exhibits A-Z by himself. Rogue One only further complicated the situation.

But I'm asking a very specific question... IN THE MOVIES how many instances has there been of droids flying ships by themselves, performing complex maneuvers?

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But I'm asking a very specific question... IN THE MOVIES how many instances has there been of droids flying ships by themselves, performing complex maneuvers?

We definitely see them do some simple things, like landing and taking off (R2 in Empire, I think Count Dooku's ship in Clone Wars). I only watched Solo once, but L3-37 was the Co-pilot and certainly seemed capable of piloting a ship by itself. 

57 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Whether somebody is apathetic towards this franchise or not I think that latest trailer really sold the visual experience at a bare minimum. Probably worth a theater visit for that.

I'll end up seeing it in theaters, just maybe a month or so after premiere. I'm also not as concerned about spoilers this time around.

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

At this point I just want my fan service to be good, because I have no faith in JJ to do something interesting.

Basically this. I have no hope that Abrams + Justice League writer can make a good story. Instead, it will be jammed with stuff from the OT (and maybe PT). I mean, yes, the US military still uses airplanes from 30-40 years ago. At the same time, a lot of new stuff has come about. Yet in the ST we only see the old Rebel designs...it's really silly.

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Whether somebody is apathetic towards this franchise or not I think that latest trailer really sold the visual experience at a bare minimum. Probably worth a theater visit for that.

All of the new SW movies have indeed had great art direction, and this looks no different. I just haven't really been enthused by any of them. They're all just fine to me. (Except Solo, which plain sucked)

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Count Dooku's ship the Solar Sailer was flown by a droid in the series.   IG-88 flew the IG 2000.   (We don't see him fly it in ESB, but he's at the meeting with Vader and we know the other bounty hunters flew there in their own ships ala Bobba Fett abd Slave One)     

Also..Obi Wan is quoted as saying 

tumblr_nzvicpgfdp1s2pcrvo5_r1_400

I mean....even having Ackbar do it would have been better rather than introducing Holdo

2 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Count Dooku's ship the Solar Sailer was flown by a droid in the series.   IG-88 flew the IG 2000.   (We don't see him fly it in ESB, but he's at the meeting with Vader and we know the other bounty hunters flew there in their own ships ala Bobba Fett abd Slave One)     

Also..Obi Wan is quoted as saying 

tumblr_nzvicpgfdp1s2pcrvo5_r1_400

I mean....even having Ackbar do it would have been better rather than introducing Holdo

Can't argue with the bolded part. The rest is debatable... Droids seem to be able to do basic flying but I don't think there's ever been a droid pilot in any of the movies that did anything remotely spectacular. The "why not let the droid do it" just seems like a weird argument to get hung up on. Holdo doing the suicide run was fine but having a character with more history do it would have resonated more. Hell they could have had Leah do it... but again, it was a great moment and a visually stunning sequence that isn't diminished by a new character making the sacrifice.

Having Holdo do it is kinda super important to the whole story. If you have Ackbar, there's immediately a sense of authority that comes along with him, and the confrontations between Holdo and Poe would no longer feel nearly as ambiguous. It's also an emotional moment, and I'd much rather have Laura Dern in that role than a fish man that can hardly emote.