~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

I have hope, I enjoyed The Force Awakens well enough (still do, it's not great but it's good enough). I don't like the title and I don't like how fan service heavy it is as if it's giving us everything TLJ haters didn't like about TLJ. Now force users are maybe chopping tie fighters in half with their lightsabers? Sure, it's cool (if that's ultimately the scene) but then also destroyed Death Star II and Palpatine is maybe back?

Trailer was mostly good so I'm hopeful but JJ has never made a great movie, just good enough ones. Star Trek Into Darkness, the only sequel he's ever done up to now, was pretty bad. We'll see.

I have no problem with Palpatine being alive conceptually. Yeah he fell down a big hole. Maul got sliced in half and THEN fell down a big hole and he lived. So it’s stupid and ridiculous, but that is on brand for the franchise so I don’t care.

I’m disappointed in it if for no other reason than that TLJ seemed to divorce Star Wars from some of the baggage that 40 years of movies has brought with it. The Emperor was rad in the OT, he was wasted potential in 99% of the PT.  The notion that the last 120 minutes of the ST is going to make him more satisfying feels pretty hollow.

I feel about TFA / TLJ the way I feel about Black Panther / most of the MCU. TFA is a fun romp. Most of the MCU movies are fun romps. I feel that TLJ had something to say, and so did Black Panther. I will still enjoy movies in those franchise that don’t have anything to say, but I’ll miss the absence.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have no problem with Palpatine being alive conceptually. Yeah he fell down a big hole. Maul got sliced in half and THEN fell down a big hole and he lived. So it’s stupid and ridiculous, but that is on brand for the franchise so I don’t care.

I’m disappointed in it if for no other reason than that TLJ seemed to divorce Star Wars from some of the baggage that 40 years of movies has brought with it. The Emperor was rad in the OT, he was wasted potential in 99% of the PT.  The notion that the last 120 minutes of the ST is going to make him more satisfying feels pretty hollow.

I feel about TFA / TLJ the way I feel about Black Panther / most of the MCU. TFA is a fun romp. Most of the MCU movies are fun romps. I feel that TLJ had something to say, and so did Black Panther. I will still enjoy movies in those franchise that don’t have anything to say, but I’ll miss the absence.

I feel exactly as you do - this post 100%. I want more of a movie with something to say, like the OT and TLJ did, rather than just a fun fan-servicey romp. At least there's a time jump so we can presume these characters have finally spent some time with each other off screen. TLJ's biggest mistake was no time jump.

https://screenrant.com/george-lucas-jar-jar-binks-favorite-star-wars-character/

Speaking at The Phantom Menace panel at Star Wars Celebration 2019, Lucas said Jar Jar "is my favorite character" and The Phantom Menace itself remains one of his favorite Star Wars movies. He went on to praise Ahmed Best for his performance as the Jar Jar character, saying he "did a fantastic job, it was very, very hard".

• 1 month later...

Good article, terrific photos. 

Star Wars doesn’t have to stay frozen in time; if anything it’s the opposite, if it doesn’t change it’ll die. It will turn into Flash Gordon. For Abrams, that means he can’t go through this process so haunted by the ghost of George Lucas (who is of course still alive, but you get what I’m saying) that he winds up doing a cinematic Lucas impression. At some point Abrams has to let Abrams be Abrams.

What exactly does Abrams being Abrams look like? I've very much enjoyed his work, but I've (perhaps unfairly) always felt like he was doing directorial impressions. Sometimes, they're great (TFA), other times, less so (Into Darkness).

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also the sizzle reel showed Rey in black robes with a dual-bladed red saber like Maul's. I guarantee it's a trick, and that in the movie she will actually pick it up from a Knight of Ren or something.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong

My first reaction to the Rey thing is that it feels kinda desperate. Not that I'm questioning how it works in the movie, that's quite impossible before seeing it, just that they decided to release that image. I'm no spoiler-phobe, and regardless of how this images happens, it feels like a moment that you don't want in a trailer. Maybe the film has a bunch of other shocking moments that they could put in a trailer and decided not to, but it still feels like a step too far for a film that didn't really need it. It's the end of the Star Wars saga. It's going to make money. Obviously this got everyone talking, so it's doing what it was supposed to, but it still feels unnecessary.

All that said, it's a cool saber design, and vision or not I hope we see Rey slice up some folks with it.

Do Rey and Ren basically swap? Ren gets brought back to the light and Rey succumbs to the Dark

Spoiler

After finding out that she, Like Vader, was created by the Emperor by manipulating the force?

:o

53 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My first reaction to the Rey thing is that it feels kinda desperate. Not that I'm questioning how it works in the movie, that's quite impossible before seeing it, just that they decided to release that image. I'm no spoiler-phobe, and regardless of how this images happens, it feels like a moment that you don't want in a trailer. Maybe the film has a bunch of other shocking moments that they could put in a trailer and decided not to, but it still feels like a step too far for a film that didn't really need it. It's the end of the Star Wars saga. It's going to make money. Obviously this got everyone talking, so it's doing what it was supposed to, but it still feels unnecessary.

All that said, it's a cool saber design, and vision or not I hope we see Rey slice up some folks with it.

That's not even close to being the most spoiler-y thing I've ever seen in a trailer, let alone a Star Wars trailer.

If you thought Ep 7 was a nostalgia ride...just wait. JJ is about to rehash basically everything from the PT to now. That makes sense as a conclusion to the three trilogies...except that it doesn't feel earned so far.

Having said that, ROTJ, though a bit campy, still provided a fantastic conclusion to the OT in the form of Luke's showdown in the Throne Room, so I can't count this movie out yet. And I also believe that Ep 8 was great. 

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Having said that, ROTJ, though a bit campy, still provided a fantastic conclusion to the OT in the form of Luke's showdown in the Throne Room, so I can't count this movie out yet. And I also believe that Ep 8 was great. 

Return of the Jedi is a great ending to the OT. It has issues, but I've always found it severely underrated and it's my personal favorite of the OT, while I recognize that A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are better films. It has the highest highs of the OT is why for me. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If you thought Ep 7 was a nostalgia ride...just wait. JJ is about to rehash basically everything from the PT to now. That makes sense as a conclusion to the three trilogies...except that it doesn't feel earned so far.

JJ better give us Ewoks again. And god help him if they're not sexual deviants like in the memes. :angry:

I’m leaning into a theory that Rey is a result of trying to create a new chosen one from cells taken from Anakin. She s one of many clone attempts to do it. Like her vision in the cave of there being a seemingly endless line of hers. It could also explain her strength in the force and connection to the lightsaber.

Why make Anakin Skywalker clones female? Maybe that was done so it didn’t look like they just brought back Anakin Skywalker, and maybe so some could not figure out the nature of the clones just by seeing them. You see a bunch of adult Anakin Skywalkers, former Jedi Master, it gives away you’re trying to clone one of the most powerful Jedi. 

I’m excited to see how it all turns out. That theory is probably way off, but I find it fun to wonder “what if”, and then fun to see what is.