~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

My biggest issues with the fight were the duel of flourishes at one point, and when they are climbing and swinging taking slap like swings at each other. Both moments are a bit unintentionally silly. 

Dialog was a little clunky too, but when wasn’t it in the PT. I actually liked the “I will do what I must.” “ you will try” exchange between them. I feel it does a good job of conveying Kenobi’s reluctance, and Anakin’s cockiness. What I will always hate is the clunky exchange ending with Anakin saying “from my point of view it s the Jedi that are evil.”

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I haven't seen the video, but my issue with this fight is that it feels like a circus act. At times it is too over the top, jam packed with daring trapeze acts and absurd close calls. It was still exciting, but I wish it was toned down a bit. It did not need to be turned up to 11 so to speak. 

The video acknowledges and addresses the points you both make including the bad dialogue.  That line that @Spawn_of_Apathy singles out has always been really bad. 

Palpatine is a FANTASTIC villain, and my favorite character from the Star Wars franchise - more the merrier!

Doesn't do anything to the Vader/Luke story, as it that was concluded. The rise, fall and vindication of Vader went full circle. I'm sure Abrams will give more of a conclusion to Luke's story in this movie as well...though not to the level of Anakin's, but regardless, i'm excited to see it :)

‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Art Book Has Been Delayed Until Spring 2020, Presumably to Avoid Spoiler Leaks

(sigh) :(

This is terribly disappointing for @GeneticBlueprint and me as we both really enjoy these art books.  I typically read it right after seeing the film as they've always been delivered on the same day as the movie's release.

Fine - I can understand not wanting to have spoiler leaks and therefore not having a simultaneous release with the film, but to delay release until MARCH 2020?!?  That's just plain stupid!

JJ admits that he regrets how Leia/Chewie was handled at the end of TFA

“I always look at what I have done and see things that I wish I had done better or differently,” Abrams said. “I wish that Chewie hadn’t walked past Leia in the third act of The Force Awakens after Han died. There are things all over the place I always know I could have done better, but that’s part of learning, I guess.”

This a different admission than his previous one where he claimed he "blocked the scene" incorrectly.  He genuinely seems to know that he totally messed up what should have been an emotionally meaningful moment and it's been gnawing at him since.

41 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

JJ admits that he regrets how Leia/Chewie was handled at the end of TFA

This a different admission than his previous one where he claimed he "blocked the scene" incorrectly.  He genuinely seems to know that he totally messed up what should have been an emotionally meaningful moment and it's been gnawing at him since.

Sounds like it is basically the same admission. If we didn’t see Chewie, then the hug between Leia and Rey would have been fine. 

The hug between Rey and Leah never really made sense to me since Leah had no idea who Rey was. I feel like something got cut to from the script to give that shot more context and then they kept it in because it was a cool visual thematically... the heroine from the original trilogy meeting the heroine from the new.  That's pure speculation of course.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The hug between Rey and Leah never really made sense to me since Leah had no idea who Rey was. I feel like something got cut to from the script to give that shot more context and then they kept it in because it was a cool visual thematically... the heroine from the original trilogy meeting the heroine from the new.  That's pure speculation of course.

When I saw it I read it as a case of Leia being able to feel and see the pain of the loss for Rey. Yes she knew him a short while, but he had already imprinted on her as a father figure. She suddenly felt alone in the universe all over again. At least that was my take from seeing it the first time. I did think it was sloppy that Chewie seemed ignored or excluded. But I wasn’t as slighted as some by it. 

• Like 1

Some of the art book has already leaked, so interesting that they would delay the release.

On the topic of the ROTS duel, my main two issues are that Anakin's lines all suck (in delivery) and that it's so over-the-top. The same emotional power could have been reached with a duel in a single room, but with better dialogue and emotion between the two. Also using a real set inside of a green room. It's not as bad as the duel(s) in Ep II (or the first one in Ep III...or the Yoda one), but it's not as good as any involving Luke in the OT, the ones in the ST, or the Maul duel.

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think it's the Force, basically, and they already feel like they know each other with their connection to the light side of the Force and their connection to Han. That's the way JJ described it, IIRC, and I honestly think it's a fine way that the Force was used for story purposes. Chewie being in the shot is the bad part. :p 

25 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

When I saw it I read it as a case of Leia being able to feel and see the pain of the loss for Rey. Yes she knew him a short while, but he had already imprinted on her as a father figure. She suddenly felt alone in the universe all over again. At least that was my take from seeing it the first time. I did think it was sloppy that Chewie seemed ignored or excluded. But I wasn’t as slighted as some by it. 

Me neither, mostly because it had to be pointed out to me afterward. :lol: 

After ‘Rise of Skywalker’ and Baby Yoda, Kathleen Kennedy’s plan for ‘Star Wars’ and beyond (LA Times)

Kennedy said she plans to make key decisions about the direction of the franchise in the coming weeks. But some things she already knows. While the “Skywalker” saga is ending, the company won’t abandon the characters created in the most recent trilogy. Additionally, she said, the plan is to move beyond trilogies, which can be restricting.

“I think it gives us a more open-ended view of storytelling and doesn’t lock us into this three-act structure,” she said. “We’re not going to have some finite number and fit it into a box. We’re really going to let the story dictate that.”

I wonder, though, if Rian Johnson's vision of a trilogy -- if that's something that he knows he can do in three acts -- is still cool within that. 

Also, whenever reviews start to arrive, could we make a separate thread or at least not put a Metacritic/Tomatometer in the title? I rarely go into movies without knowing the critical consensus, and I'm actually going to try to go into this blind to the critical response.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Sure - we'll do a separate review thread for this one.

Also, let's set the ground rules regarding spoilers now for this thread: when should unmarked spoilers be allowed?

I think after the New Year. I know I won't be getting a chance to see it opening night. 

I think this will end up in the 70’s on RT. I enjoyed it but there are some problems with it narratively and some major leaps to explain stuff. 

Also, I got to be on the “red” carpet in my executioner trooper, got a photo with JJ Abrams  and shake his hand:twothumbsup:, I exchanged pleasantries with Josh Gad as we both entered the men’s room, Merry and Pippin were 3 rows behind me, as was Snap Wexley. I was within 5 ft of Spielberg at one point, was in the Dolby theater two rows back so got to see the presentation pre-show up close and personal. What an incredible experience! 

I'm glad to see impressions are strong...but I hate that social media impressions are even a thing. They are almost always going to be 50% more positive than the actual experience, as these people want to continue to be invited to opening nights. If a person said (about any movie, not this one) "The movie was trash and Disney did a bad job," they would likely not be invited to another screening again. So it's nice to read these impressions to hype yourself up, but I don't think they add any predictive value to the actual experience of seeing the movie.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm glad to see impressions are strong...but I hate that social media impressions are even a thing. They are almost always going to be 50% more positive than the actual experience, as these people want to continue to be invited to opening nights. If a person said (about any movie, not this one) "The movie was trash and Disney did a bad job," they would likely not be invited to another screening again. So it's nice to read these impressions to hype yourself up, but I don't think they add any predictive value to the actual experience of seeing the movie.

Read the one from Scott Mendelson :p