Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

On 4/12/2019 at 3:28 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I'd agree with you but I disagree with your characterization. How is this any different than the Pentagon papers? I assume we're all in agreement that it was a good thing that happened. 

Being provided with documents that someone with proper knowledge/access wants exposed is one thing; seeking out a maximum amount of information, much of which you know nothing about, and seeking to crack the password of a SIPRnet account for access to documents (which inherently implies no proper knowledge/access) is something completely different.

Manning was right to be sentenced because while she provided information that was in the public interest she released it scattershot without a specific cause or history of attempting to make light of a serious issue (requirements for whistleblower protection) and although it would be wrong to criminalize the publishing or reading of classified material it's not wrong to criminalize certain activities in pursuit of classified information. Conspiring to commit a crime should still be a crime even if it's in the pursuit of otherwise legal ends. Journalists shouldn't do that, especially since they have no way to validate the legitimacy of a whistleblower's status.

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Being provided with documents that someone with proper knowledge/access wants exposed is one thing; seeking out a maximum amount of information, much of which you know nothing about, and seeking to crack the password of a SIPRnet account for access to documents (which inherently implies no proper knowledge/access) is something completely different.

Manning was right to be sentenced because while he provided information that was in the public interest he released it scattershot without a specific cause or history of attempting to make light of a serious issue (requirements for whistleblower protection) and although it would be wrong to criminalize the publishing or reading of classified material it's not wrong to criminalize certain activities in pursuit of classified information. Conspiring to commit a crime should still be a crime even if it's in the pursuit of otherwise legal ends. Journalists shouldn't do that, especially since they have no way to validate the legitimacy of a whistleblower's status.

I'll have to be honest - I have such a distrust of our government I think journalists should do that. But that's a philosophical difference. I think it's perfectly in a journalist's rights to pursue more information as can be accessed, and to release such information as they see fit as necessary. I don't believe in protecting any government, but I realize that's an "extreme" view. I understand secrecy but when you're doing something bad, it deserves to be caught, in full. I also think it will be hard to prove legally the charge they are pressing against him regardless. 

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm finding myself second, third fourth guessing myself agreeing with the trump admin.

Same. It hurts bru. Like I said, I'm no fan of Assange, but when an administration has been calling the press the enemy of the people for years and then you capture Assange (when I like the idea behind WikiLeaks at least) I'm really concerned. When Trump said "take away their guns first" even though I'm not a pro-gun guy I was like: "waiiiiit a second, that sounds like an impingement on freedom" and I see the same here.

We can all agree though: 

:dumpster_fire:

• 7 months later...