Guess the State: Two men arrested for taking turns testing bullet proof vest on each other

https://www.wjbf.com/news/u-s-world-news/two-men-arrested-for-taking-turns-testing-bullet-proof-vest-on-each-other/1897960322

BENTON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA) - Benton County Sheriff's Deputy Dorian Hendrix went to Mercy Hospital around 11 p.m Sunday, March 31, to investigate a male who had been shot multiple times while wearing a bullet-proof vest, according to the affidavit.

Hendrix interviewed Ferris, who had a red spot on his chest, the affidavit states.

Ferris told an elaborate story to try and cover up the truth.

He said someone from the edge of a tree line began shooting at him and the "asset" on Highway 12, according to the affidavit. 

Ferris changed his story about the incident and said he did not want to get Hicks in trouble, so he made up his prior story, the affidavit states. 

He then told police what really happened and said he had been drinking on his back deck with Hicks and wanted Hicks to shoot him with the vest on.

Good job guessing Florida. BET YOU FEEL SILLY NOW

On 4/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, SilentWorld said:

I agree with @RedSoxFan9. I've heard of this same thing happening in Canada and like, if you wanna put on a vest and have somebody shoot at you, I don't see a problem. It's a stupid idea. It's gonna hurt and might even kill you. But stupidity is not illegal. 

Stupidity is illegal all over the place.  Tons of things are illegal  before the point of injury or harm specifically to stop people from crossing that line.  Even if you don't buy the notion of a loss of life as a loss to society or a family, this person is taking up a hospital bed, possibly a space in an ambulance, and now police time as well, all over something that is breathtakingly stupid.  It's the reason you can get busted for drunk driving without hitting anyone.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Stupidity is illegal all over the place.  Tons of things are illegal  before the point of injury or harm specifically to stop people from crossing that line.  Even if you don't buy the notion of a loss of life as a loss to society or a family, this person is taking up a hospital bed, possibly a space in an ambulance, and now police time as well, all over something that is breathtakingly stupid.  It's the reason you can get busted for drunk driving without hitting anyone.  

Any of the stories I’ve read about this happening, the injuries are roughly equivalent to letting someone bash you in the chest a few times with a baseball bat — severe bruising and maybe a broken rib. Of course it’s possibly to be injured more severely (powerful enough bullets can penetrate a vest), I just haven’t heard of that happening from these kind of shenanigans. So I just don’t think it should be illegal. Is drunk driving on a closed course illegal? 

6 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

Any of the stories I’ve read about this happening, the injuries are roughly equivalent to letting someone bash you in the chest a few times with a baseball bat — severe bruising and maybe a broken rib. Of course it’s possibly to be injured more severely (powerful enough bullets can penetrate a vest), I just haven’t heard of that happening from these kind of shenanigans. So I just don’t think it should be illegal. Is drunk driving on a closed course illegal? 

Yes, drunk driving on a closed course is illegal, operating a vehicle in any capacity while drunk is illegal in most states regardless of where you are.  There was an episode of Mythbusters where they were testing whether drunk driving or other forms of distracted driving were worse, and they had to have the cops there to make sure they were just under the legal limit even though they were driving on a completely closed, private road.

You say these things are minor, severe bruising and maybe a broken rib  That's a best case scenario, and that still requires a hospital visit.  That's a lot of resources and effort being spent on a complete dipshit.  I'm absolutely fine punishing people who are needlessly wasting the time of medical professionals and police who are now under the impression that there's a random shooter running loose.  Besides, that's the best case scenario, and we're also assuming that the person is being totally honest too.  I'm sure there are plenty of situation just like this where someone ends up seriously injured or dead.  Like that youtube moron who was trying to do this stunt with a phone book.  The difference between the guy with cracked ribs and the guy with a brand new coffin is luck and aim.  

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Yes, drunk driving on a closed course is illegal, operating a vehicle in any capacity while drunk is illegal in most states regardless of where you are.  There was an episode of Mythbusters where they were testing whether drunk driving or other forms of distracted driving were worse, and they had to have the cops there to make sure they were just under the legal limit even though they were driving on a completely closed, private road.

You say these things are minor, severe bruising and maybe a broken rib  That's a best case scenario, and that still requires a hospital visit.  That's a lot of resources and effort being spent on a complete dipshit.  I'm absolutely fine punishing people who are needlessly wasting the time of medical professionals and police who are now under the impression that there's a random shooter running loose.  Besides, that's the best case scenario, and we're also assuming that the person is being totally honest too.  I'm sure there are plenty of situation just like this where someone ends up seriously injured or dead.  Like that youtube moron who was trying to do this stunt with a phone book.  The difference between the guy with cracked ribs and the guy with a brand new coffin is luck and aim.  

No, driving drunk is not illegal in a closed private course.

45 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

No, driving drunk is not illegal in a closed private course.

It's a bit disingenuous to simply say that it is not illegal on a closed private course, because it depends on the state, the property, etc.  You can generally drive drunk on private property that is not accessible to the public (e.g. you can't drive drunk in parking lots of private businesses because they are accessible to the public), unless the state specifically prohibits any drunk driving, which some states do, in which case even on your own private property which is not accessible to the public, it's a no go. 

https://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/is-drunk-driving-on-private-property-illegal.html