The country of Brunei begins stoning punishment today for LGBT people

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47769964

Brunei is introducing strict new Islamic laws that make anal sex and adultery offences punishable by stoning to death.

The new measures, that come into force on Wednesday, also cover a range of other crimes including punishment for theft by amputation.

The move has sparked international condemnation.

One 40-year-old gay Bruneian currently seeking asylum in Canada said the impact of the new penal code was already being felt in Brunei.

The ex-government employee, who left Brunei last year after being charged with sedition for a Facebook post that was critical of the government, said people were "afraid".

"The gay community in Brunei has never been open but when Grindr [a gay dating app] came that helped people meet in secret. But now, what I've heard is that hardly anyone is using Grindr anymore," Shahiran S Shahrani Md told the BBC.

"They're afraid that they might talk to a police officer pretending to be gay. It hasn't happened yet but because of the new laws, people are afraid," he said.

Another male Bruneian, who is not gay but has renounced Islam, said he felt "fearful and numb" in the face of the laws being implemented.

"We ordinary citizens are powerless to stop Sharia law from being implemented," said the 23-year-old, who did not want to be identified.

One gay man was hopeful that the laws might not be enforced widely.

"Honestly, I'm not too scared as the government here often bluffs with the harsh punishments. But it can and will still happen even with it being rare."

If you're unfamiliar as to where it is:

733px-Location_Brunei_ASEAN.svg.png

• Sad 1

The British army maintains three military bases in Brunei and essentially props up the sultanate:

Brunei has been an absolute monarchy since 1962 when a left-leaning political party, Parti Rakyat Brunei, won local elections. The results of the election were not recognised by the Sultan, and the party attempted to stage a coup, which was suppressed by British forces based in Singapore. Brunei has been under emergency rule ever since, which grants sultan Hassanal Bolkiah full executive decision-making power.

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah, this totally justifies Maher’s bigotry towards a quarter of the world’s population 

you're an idiot.  Learn the difference between criticism of religion (Islam) and criticism of people (muslims).   There is a vast distinction  

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

so it's bigotry when he is critical of Islam but not Christianity?   

Because Islam's adherents are primarily brown people, there is more of an element of bigotry for him based on his past comments in regard to black people than there is for his issues with Christianity.

Islam becomes an "easier" target for him.

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Because Islam's adherents are primarily brown people, there is more of an element of bigotry for him based on his past comments in regard to black people than there is for his issues with Christianity.

Islam becomes an "easier" target for him.

Such is the same with anyone who criticizes Islam who isn't brown.   What's even better are those who are called anti-muslim extremists for their criticisms of Islam.  They even get to sue the SPLC.  

I'm also not familiar with his comments in regards to black people (outside of context) where he is bigoted towards them?    Not saying he's is or is not, just that I haven't seen or heard it.  

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

Maher thought it was okay to say the n-word in 2017

Given the context it wasn't used derogatorily and he also apologized for doing so.  

Here, let me make it easier for you.  Name a white person who is critical of Islam who you wouldn't call a bigot

5 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Given the context it wasn't used derogatorily and he also apologized for doing so.  

Here, let me make it easier for you.  Name a white person who is critical of Islam who you wouldn't call a bigot

Bernie

• Haha 1

I thought it is interesting that adultery is included. Somehow I suspect that adultery is far more common, but this will primarily be directed at the LGBT community.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The British army maintains three military bases in Brunei and essentially props up the sultanate:

Brunei has been an absolute monarchy since 1962 when a left-leaning political party, Parti Rakyat Brunei, won local elections. The results of the election were not recognised by the Sultan, and the party attempted to stage a coup, which was suppressed by British forces based in Singapore. Brunei has been under emergency rule ever since, which grants sultan Hassanal Bolkiah full executive decision-making power.

Yeah, those British are so behind the times. If you're going to use military influence to prop up a terrible regime, you should go for the one that publicly beheads people instead of stoning them.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah, this totally justifies Maher’s bigotry towards a quarter of the world’s population 

I guess it depends on which specific statement you count as bigoted.

I would call Islam a backwards, outdated, brutal belief system whose adherents, if they manage to be good people, are good in spite of holding those beliefs rather than because of them.

I would also say the same thing about Christianity and see why saying such a thing from someone with alterior motives could be seen as bigoted.

I also think the Left, due to the grouping of political actors and who they perceive as their opponents, should be careful about how enthusiastic they are to hitch their wagon to a religion that is generally even more conservative than Christianity, whose adherents largely think gays should be murdered, and whose most venerated prophet was a pedophile rapist(#metoo).

1 hour ago, Boyle5150 said:

It was a weak apology. And he spent an entire episode having some of his “black friends” on to tell us all how not racist he is. And you could see it when Ice cube was talking. He didn’t think he did anything wrong in saying it. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It was a weak apology. And he spent an entire episode having some of his “black friends” on to tell us all how not racist he is. And you could see it when Ice cube was talking. He didn’t think he did anything wrong in saying it. 

whether you think it was or was not sincere, is irrelevant.  Given the context of what he said was not said in a derogatory manner and nor was it intended to be so.   In fact, he said it more to make fun of white slave masters more than anything else.   Context means everything!

8 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

whether you think it was or was not sincere, is irrelevant.  Given the context of what he said was not said in a derogatory manner and nor was it intended to be so.   In fact, he said it more to make fun of white slave masters more than anything else.   Context means everything!

You're such a nagger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I thought it is interesting that adultery is included. Somehow I suspect that adultery is far more common, but this will primarily be directed at the LGBT community.

The adultery part will be enforced unequally against women.

19 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Approriating the pain of slavery for a stupid joke, including the use of a racial slur while doing it is beyond the pale. He was in no way making fun of white slave masters, GTFO bro :lol:

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Approriating the pain of slavery for a stupid joke, including the use of a racial slur while doing it is beyond the pale. He was in no way making fun of white slave masters, GTFO bro :lol:

I don't disagree that it was a stupid joke. 

After watching it again, I can definitely see it in a different light, but I still don't think it was intended to be what others view it as.  Also, we need to learn that when we apologize for something and our behavior changes, then we need to recognize it when it happens. That's how people learn.. 

Now, having said all that, for the context of this topic, Islam is the problem, not BM

On 4/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, SaysWho? said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47769964

If you're unfamiliar as to where it is:

733px-Location_Brunei_ASEAN.svg.png

On 4/3/2019 at 10:31 AM, CitizenVectron said:

I did not know where this country was. 

I like to think that I am at least respectably well read and worldly, especially given the time I've been part of this mortal coil.

...and man, was I embarrassed to be off with respect to where I thought Brunei is located.