A Look Back at Farscape: Aliens, Puppets, and Criminals on the Run

When we think about space operas, we think about Star Wars or Star Trek, or even Stargate. These are the sweeping, grand sagas, with stalwart heroes and clear distinctions between right and wrong. Farscape is not that kind of story.

Commissioned by the Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy), produced by the Jim Henson Company, and shot in Australia, Farscape ran for four seasons from 1999 to 2003. Now streaming on Amazon Prime, Farscape was a bizarre, gun-toting series about criminals on the run; its main cast featured two puppets, several aliens, and only one human. This, along with its daring plot lines and downright absurdity, made it an instant cult hit, but Farscape never quite reached the brand recognition of its rivals. Yet this show quietly redefined sci-fi—and we can still see its influence on the genre today.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-back-at-farscape-aliens-puppets-and-criminals-1833716459

I love Star Trek, but I really love Farscape. <3

• Like 2

Farscape was definitely an amazing show!

Another good space Opera was Andromeda. 

th?id=OIP.Prx3Q97YKv7X-1fhoGLg3wHaFC&pid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)

based on unused material by Gene Roddenberry, developed by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and produced by Roddenberry's widow, Majel Barrett.[2] It starred Kevin Sorbo as High Guard Captain Dylan Hunt. The series premiered on October 2, 2000, and ended on May 13, 2005.

The show was kinda like Star Trek but instead of The Federation they had Systems Commonwealth. 

The Andromeda, with Hunt aboard, is caught at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing both in time. Three hundred and three years later, in CY 10087 (approx 5167 AD), the crew of the salvage ship Eureka Maru locates the ship. The Systems Commonwealth has fallen, and the era known as The Long Night has begun. Hunt recruits the salvage crew to join him in an attempt to restore the Systems Commonwealth and "rekindle the light of civilization". 

Not a space Opera but another decent show based on ideas by Gene Roddenberry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth:_Final_Conflict

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Loved the show. Weirdly the show is easier to come by than the movie that wrapped it all up. 

I think I have the show on DVD somewhere

On Amazon (Farscape is just came to Prime streaming), Peacekeeper Wars is listed as the final episode of season 4.

Farscape is easily my favorite Sci-Fi show and I even met Gigi Edgley at Gencon one year (where we talked about how much we loved Fraggle Rock as children and her acting)! I would love it if Farscape streams so well on Amazon that they decide to do a sequel of it.

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

Farscape is easily my favorite Sci-Fi show and I even met Gigi Edgley at Gencon one year (where we talked about how much we loved Fraggle Rock as children and her acting)! I would love it if Farscape streams so well on Amazon that they decide to do a sequel of it.

I think I would go with:

B5

BSG (reboot)

Farscape

Stargate SG1

Star Trek: TNG

But Edgley was possibly the hottest alien in Sci-fi. And Claudia Black is my longest celebrity crush ever.

6 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It was actually a two part movie made after it was cancelled though.

Yeah I know, but it's not obvious that's where they stuck it if you go looking for it on Amazon, so just pointing it out. 

I loved Farscape so effin much! Pa'u Zhaan, to this day, is still one of my all time favorite sci-fi characters. <3 And don't get me started on man crush Ben Browder. <3

spacer.png

I never thought about the comparison to GotG but it's so true! haha

16 hours ago, Jason said:

On Amazon (Farscape is just came to Prime streaming), Peacekeeper Wars is listed as the final episode of season 4.

Oh that is great news. When Farscape was on Netflix nobody had the movie to stream. I was able to rent the disc from Netflix. Man, that was so long ago. 

Reading that hat article makes me want to go through the show again. 

I might be be able to get my Dad into it this time. He’s always looking for new shows to get into. 

7 hours ago, DPCyric said:

At the middle school i went to each grade 6-8 was broken into two teams. One of the teams was team Doozers and another one i remember was team Enterprise.