Joker Trailer and Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

How would any version of Batman not savagely dunk on this version of the Joker in 15 seconds?

They would have to SEVERELY compromise Batman OR level this Joker up BIG TIME. If they do a sequel, they'd be better off leaving Batman out of it although I don't really see how you do that. @johnny's idea about this Joker in Arkham isn't a bad idea... you could do other more grounded versions of classic Batman villains too. Again, you eventually run into the problem of pretending Batman doesn't exist in this world because you've already set up his origin in the first movie. A sequel is coming but it's probably not a good idea to be honest unless Phillips has a really good idea. Which I kinda doubt.

One thing they could do but would never do is make Bruce Wayne crazy too and he goes to Arkham as well as an inmate and becomes a "rival" to The Joker. I doubt they have the balls to do that though.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, Kal-El814 said:

How would any version of Batman not savagely dunk on this version of the Joker in 15 seconds?

In the years it takes Bruce to grow up, essentially so does Joker. With his confidence also comes getting more savvy as a criminal. Especially in terms of being evasive. Plus he still manages to draw in a crew of followers. 

it’s not impossible. 

22 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

In the years it takes Bruce to grow up, essentially so does Joker. With his confidence also comes getting more savvy as a criminal. Especially in terms of being evasive. Plus he still manages to draw in a crew of followers. 

it’s not impossible. 

At which point Joker would be in his 60s or 70s.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, Kal-El814 said:

The thing that makes the most sense to me is that another criminal use Joker as a mascot of sorts, almost like Katniss in the Hunger Games sequels. That way you don't have to make him a wholly different character, and you can still let him be something of a victim of a bigger bad. If Joker was ostensibly about how society treats its outcasts, you can make the sequel about how even those that seem to care about you are still only using you for their own gains. You can even end it in a very King of Comedy way, making Joker pay some sort of penance, but ultimately get accepted at the end.

42 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

At which point Joker would be in his 60s or 70s.

It could still be doable. The only thing we’d miss out on is a drag down, fist fight. Not that Joker ever wins those against Batman anyways. 

it could be something like Joker has been missing for years after many violent crime sprees. He’s actually held up in a retirement home with a Dr Harlenn Quinzel aiding him. Having become bored facing off against the police.  

Then seeing this Batman in the news. Somebody who’s clearly not entirely sane, but clearly has a moral code. Joke becomes interested in the idea of a rival, more capable than the police. So he dons the make up and heads out to challenge the Bat with violence and horror beyond any he inflicted on the city before. Something like a wish list of chaos. 

A little bit 89 Batman, little bit Dark Knight, little bit Dark Knight Rises. He directs the chaos and violence, and taunts the Batman. 

I think the thing about this Joker is that nothing about the character screams "Criminal genius" or "Master planner who also happens to be insane".  This Joker would be a nuisance to any version of Batman we've seen so far unless, like I said, you bring Batman down to his level and make Batman mentally unbalanced as well. Or even moreso than he is. 

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think the thing about this Joker is that nothing about the character screams "Criminal genius" or "Master planner who also happens to be insane".  This Joker would be a nuisance to any version of Batman we've seen so far unless, like I said, you bring Batman down to his level and make Batman mentally unbalanced as well. Or even moreso than he is. 

And yet, despite him saying otherwise to Harvey, in Dark Knight he was very much a master planner. As the old saying goes, there was a method to his madness. 

27 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

And yet, despite him saying otherwise to Harvey, in Dark Knight he was very much a master planner. As the old saying goes, there was a method to his madness. 

That's the thing... the reason why The Joker gives Batman so many problems is that he is a genius who is also insane. He's incredibly hard for Batman to figure out because there's no rationale to what he does. That's what Ledger's Joker got so right about the character. Phoenix' Joker exists better on his own and if there IS a Batman in his universe he would have to be a LOT different than what we've seen so far. 

That's why I don't get this while version of the character, and what they are trying to do with it. Was it just a one-off story? Was it trying to free a more realistic take on how someone could turn out like The Joker? Was it supposed to be an alternate timeline thing where Batman isn't around yet to stop The Joker? 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

That's why I don't get this while version of the character, and what they are trying to do with it. Was it just a one-off story? Was it trying to free a more realistic take on how someone could turn out like The Joker? Was it supposed to be an alternate timeline thing where Batman isn't around yet to stop The Joker? 

It was supposed to be a one-off... until it made a BILLION dollars. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, Brick said:

So ummm

Even though there aren’t any solid plans to make a “Joker” sequel, director Todd Phillips would like to see a Batman movie from “Joker’s” Gotham City.

“It’s a beautiful Gotham. What I would like to see someone tackle is what Batman looks like from that Gotham,” Phillips told Variety’s Marc Malkin at the Palm Springs International Film Festival, where he was being awarded with Variety’s Creative Impact in Directing Award.

However, Phillips was quick to say that he wouldn’t be the one to make that movie.

“I’m not saying I’m going to do that. What was interesting to me about the inclusion of Batman in our movie was, ‘What kind of Batman does that Gotham make?’ That’s all I meant by that,” he said.

So a couple of things... they are probably GOING to make this movie as the original essentially sets it up anyway. A Batman in this universe would HAVE to be insane... that's the only way it makes sense and the only way this Joker would be any kind of threat to him. Three, I have a feeling that The Joker is a movie that will NOT age well.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Why do you suspect this?

A couple of reasons... One, I think that it is a conceptually flawed movie that isn't as sophisticated as people think it is. It doesn't really say anything and is carried by Phoenix' performance and the GORGEOUS cinematography. Outside of those things it really is an exercise in style over substance. My main reason though is that the concept of a "realistic" Joker or Batman movie is fundamentally a flawed concept. I really don't see how a Batman character could exist in this version of Gotham without being severely deconstructed which would make him no longer Batman. A Batman in THIS universe would HAVE to be just as crazy as The Joker and if you don't deal with that then you're compromising the world that they've set up. If you DO deal with that then you compromise the character. I think their first impulse to make this movie a one-off was the right one but it would be naïve if not downright STUPID to think that after a BILLION dollars they would not follow this up.

I wonder if this movie would have been a little better if it wasn't tied to the Batman mythos at all, like if it wasn't about The Joker, and was just about a guy named Arthur Fleck in NYC that went crazy. It still would have been a shallow film, and not good, but maybe without all the little nods to Batman it would have worked a little better. 

On 1/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, Brick said:

I wonder if this movie would have been a little better if it wasn't tied to the Batman mythos at all, like if it wasn't about The Joker, and was just about a guy named Arthur Fleck in NYC that went crazy. It still would have been a shallow film, and not good, but maybe without all the little nods to Batman it would have worked a little better. 

It absolutely would have been, not that it would have really made it all that much better. I don't think anybody has been able to explain what the Joker/DC/Batman mythos brings to this movie.

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It absolutely would have been, not that it would have really made it all that much better. I don't think anybody has been able to explain what the Joker/DC/Batman mythos brings to this movie.

The fact that it's basically late 1970s/1980s NYC should be enough to sell this, but I guess it being Gotham makes it easier to get the audience to just accept how overall fucked up the entire city is. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You aren't?

:troll:

Things have generally gone my way is the difference (and the lack of abuse). If I had a bad streak I could definitely see myself going as crazy as him, a lot of his feelings really resonated with how I feel often. Weird. 

8 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Things have generally gone my way is the difference (and the lack of abuse). If I had a bad streak I could definitely see myself going as crazy as him, a lot of his feelings really resonated with how I feel often. Weird. 

I think many have had similar thoughts, but the difference is something pulls us back or just keeps us from ever truly getting close to the line of actual action. I’m sure there is empathy with Arthur, more than many people are willing to admit. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think many have had similar thoughts, but the difference is something pulls us back or just keeps us from ever truly getting close to the line of actual action. I’m sure there is empathy with Arthur, more than many people are willing to admit. 

And this is the problem with this portrayal of the Joker. There are no redeeming qualities to the classical version of the character and no logic or pattern to the crimes he commits which is why he's so tough for Batman to pin down. The Joker is completely random in his thought process, but there's a brilliance there as well. Arthur Fleck is basically a mentally unbalanced outcast who snaps and then proceeds to enact retribution on everyone that he perceives as having wronged him. There's really not much difference in his thought process and that of your typical school shooter... yet here we are talking about how empathetic he is :| This is EXACTLY the problem I had with the messaging of this film from day one. 

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And this is the problem with this portrayal of the Joker. There are no redeeming qualities to the classical version of the character and no logic or pattern to the crimes he commits which is why he's so tough for Batman to pin down. The Joker is completely random in his thought process, but there's a brilliance there as well. Arthur Fleck is basically a mentally unbalanced outcast who snaps and then proceeds to enact retribution on everyone that he perceives as having wronged him. There's really not much difference in his thought process and that of your typical school shooter... yet here we are talking about how empathetic he is :| This is EXACTLY the problem I had with the messaging of this film from day one. 

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha