Update: Biden administration's new "Remain in Mexico" policy is EVEN MORE restrictive than the Imbecile's

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There is absolutely no legitimate political reason to concede on the refugee issue.

As @PaladinSolo correctly stated in Discord, it doesn't move the needle one way or the other politically.  You aren't gaining ANY Republican/conservative votes by maintaining the Trump caps, so why the hell bother doing it?

There's even history to back this up: Obama was the deported in chief and Republicans hated him (though his skin color might just maybe be a rather large factor in that)

I think there isn't the staff for more refugees. The agency was gutted, ran out of funds, closed a bunch of foreign posts, put on a hiring freeze, and have only just now got a director nominated.  

I would hope to hear that from the administration directly though. 

17 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think there isn't the staff for more refugees. The agency was gutted, ran out of funds, closed a bunch of foreign posts, put on a hiring freeze, and have only just now got a director nominated.  

I would hope to hear that from the administration directly though. 

If that's the issue then they should say so. They haven't actually given a justification for this decision.

We should go back to the old system of "anyone can come here and work, if you manage that for 5 years and don't get in trouble, here's some citizenship." That in conjunction with minimum wage hikes should make everyone's lives better and we won't need shit like ICE camps, border patrols, etc

Well, we'd still need border patrols, but they'd be looking for people actually committing real crimes, not going on a walk

I don't have problems with religious people in general. I find there's a fine line between people who are religious but have the mindset of "my faith makes me a better person" vs. "my faith makes me better than others. The former tends to be generally accepting of others and their beliefs/sexuality/etc, the latter becomes toxic. I've known plenty of both.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't have problems with religious people in general. I find there's a fine line between people who are religious but have the mindset of "my faith makes me a better person" vs. "my faith makes me better than others. The former tends to be generally accepting of others and their beliefs/sexuality/etc, the latter becomes toxic. I've known plenty of both.

wut

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
6300.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Revealed: documents released after six years of legal tussles uncover over 160 cases of misconduct and abuse

Shocking instances of sexual and physical abuse of asylum seekers at the southern US border by federal officers have been uncovered by Human Rights Watch, after a years-long battle to wrestle the information from the Department of Homeland Security under freedom of information laws.

A stash of redacted documents released to the human rights group after six years of legal tussles uncover more than 160 cases of misconduct and abuse by leading government agencies, notably Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and US Border Patrol. The papers record events between 2016 and 2021 that range from child sexual assault to enforced hunger, threats of rape and brutal detention conditions.

Some of the incidents involve alleged criminal activity by federal agents.

Human Rights Watch said that the documents “paint a picture of DHS as an agency that appears to have normalized shocking abuses at the US border. The US should take urgent and sustained action to stop such abuses”.

• Guillotine 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Human Rights Watch report claims that US border agents engaged in ‘shocking abuses’ against asylum seekers
14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
6300.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Revealed: documents released after six years of legal tussles uncover over 160 cases of misconduct and abuse

Here, I fixed the title...

US border agents engaged in "shocking" abuses against asylum seekers, report finds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...