Update: Biden administration's new "Remain in Mexico" policy is EVEN MORE restrictive than the Imbecile's

I've been arguing this whole time that even if you don't care about undocumented immigrants, asylum seeking is a legal process and that is being denied undocumented immigrants as well, ripping families seeking asylum legally as well as actual "illegal" immigrants.

Meanwhile, American citizens continue shooting and killing each other en masse. 

IT is not so much that the laws, process, and execution is cruel... its the idea that so many of our "freedom and justice" loving citizens must be involved in running this whole operation at all levels and are gladly complicit of it.

if these little anecdotes is whats squeaking out, the full picture must be something else.. i doubt anyone gets in trouble, but if they do i hope they have a fall guy ready

30 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

The Democrats arguing against abolishing ICE -- that regular Customs will continue to enforce Trump's policy regardless as to what ICE is doing and it's more an enforcement problem than a problem with the agency -- have a point. It's why even Bernie Sanders didn't directly address the question when asked; it's a popular thing for progressives, but will it actually fix the family separation problem and enforcement policies?

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

The Democrats arguing against abolishing ICE -- that regular Customs will continue to enforce Trump's policy regardless as to what ICE is doing and it's more an enforcement problem than a problem with the agency -- have a point. It's why even Bernie Sanders didn't directly address the question when asked; it's a popular thing for progressives, but will it actually fix the family separation problem and enforcement policies?

I think abolishing ICE is more of a symbolic measure about who the Democrats are, what they believe in and stand for and they can't align on that. It's "are you in or are you out" and we say "what is it mean to be in or out?" instead of yeah! Or naw!

1 minute ago, 2user1cup said:

I think abolishing ICE is more of a symbolic measure about who the Democrats are, what they believe in and stand for and they can't align on that. It's "are you in or are you out" and we say "what is it mean to be in or out?" instead of yeah! Or naw!

But doesn't that strike you as odd that taking a position that won't actually fix a problem is seen as a potent symbol? I think issues such as Medicare-for-All, bringing back Glass-Steagall, erasing gerrymandering, comprehensive gun control, full marijuana legalization, and major infrastructure investment are a far better and more tangible set of issues to create a platform, and issues that will bring something much better than what we have now. Abolish ICE doesn't necessarily fix the problem; ending Zero Tolerance does.

In some ways, I get the idea of taking a position like that to change the Overton Window, a term I've honestly heard a lot about just in the past month or so (shifting the sphere of the kinds of arguments that are tolerated in public), but I don't think that's really the position considering it's unlike the others imo. I'm honestly being won over by a lot of what progressives are saying; this is really one of the few things I'm not as gung-ho on.