How often do you reformat?

Nokra

Just out of curiosity, how often do you wipe everything and start over again? 

Windows 10 makes it quite easy since you don't even need to input a key or anything like that, but still, reinstalling everything is kind of a pain. What is your normal reformat schedule? 

Probably every couple years. Oddly enough I used to do it much more often, probably at least once a year. Still, even though it's gotten so easy, with almost everything in the cloud or on my NAS, I just don't spend as much time tinkering with my PC as I used to. It used to be a real fear that I could lose data, and it used to take forever to babysit installation of the OS and all the software, but I'd still do it because of more frequent hardware changes or just as a spring cleaning notion.

Only when necessary, I'm not running Windows 9x. Last time was still on Windows 7 when I switched from Windows on HDD with an SSD cache drive to Windows on SSD. The Windows 10 upgrade didn't involve formatting but it was a nice refresh. I have added more SSD space twice over the years so I did format the new drives but my OS drive hasn't been formatted in many years.

I think the last time I reformatted without a problem as the cause was with Windows Vista.  Been running the same Windows 10 install since they offered the free upgrade from 8.  And the spare PC has a Windows 7 -> 8 -> 10 upgrade path and never formatted.  I just don't care to do it anymore, but that being I have been considering formatting my current PC.  I probably won't' do it because I plan to build a new one when Ryzen 2 comes out in a few months.

I was having major networking issues and I ended up reformatting in hopes of fixing it. I thought I had already done all that I could with drivers, but it turns out that there was a problem with the installation and as soon as I fixed that, no more networking issues. On the plus side, I have a brand new installation of Windows 10. :lol:

:facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bitgod said:

I used to once a year, back in the day.  But I haven't in probably 6 years at this point. YOLO

It seems like this is a pretty common perspective these days. Maybe OSes have gotten more stable? 

• 2 weeks later...