Your worst gaming purchase experience?

Zaku3

Been meaning to post this and a shocker it's Nintendo related. Super Robot Wars T came out last Wednesday and I forgot. I ordered it on play-asia the same day because it appeared there is no non-Japanese eshop in Asia. My initial plan was just to buy it online so combo of that plan plus forgetting about it caused me not to preorder. I missed the initial play-asia batch so had to wait for this week.

While waiting it turns out a website in Hong Kong handles the Nintendo eshop for now. They have a website and work with Nintendo to offer keys. You buy the key and using a Nintendo account set to Hong Kong go onto the eshop app and it asks for the key since there is no store setup. 

I figured should be easy and I will be playing SRW by Thursday. I was so wrong. The website is super buggy. Constant need to refresh but I was able to set up an account on the store and checkout. 

Problem is their payment system is really messed up. It's some 3rd party Chinese company and I couldn't get it to work. Tried buyijg the game with my credit card and my debit card countless times and it would never work. It would connect to VISA's network once a day. I'd call to get the transaction approved and when I'd go to try it again it would fail and Chase/Wells Fargo would state they aren't recieving the request for payment. My best friend lives in China and I asked him if he had an Alipay account and he couldn't get it to work either.

My resolution was someone on resetera ordering it for me since they were able to get through. That and I bought the game on ebay frkm a US seller. 

During the PS2 days, the Disc Read Error made some purchases bad. :( 

I bought Dynasty Warriors 2 after having played it from a friend and loving it. Then I heard a sound that I can only say sounded like QEWHFIQWFIQEFJWQIEFJWQIEFJWQOFEJWQO coming from the PS2; I thought the thing was self-destructing. Went back to Toys R Us and had to make a case to get a refund/exchange (they didn't accept refunds) and I bought Armored Core 2. Went home, inserted the disc, REEEEEEEEEEEERIQWUEROQWFKWQOFJQWOIQOGQQWOEAAHAHHAHAIWHEHQWIE@RJ@O#.

We got the PS2 fixed, but it only stayed fixed for so long. I got Contra: Shattered Soldier for Christmas the next year, and I was BIG TIME HYPED about the game. It had been so long since I played a real side-scrolling Contra. Insert the disc, the sounds of Hell which I guess sounds like RERWQRWEJQFOQWJKGQ#JGI#QJ$GQJOFQJ@FO#JQ@O#FJ@QO came out of the PS2.

I guess that doesn't count as a purchase since it was a gift, but whatever. It was all very sad. :( 

The purchase of my 2080ti. Nvidia really made a mess of that whole launch. There was no stock, no explanation, and mass confusion for weeks! it took me a month after they original promised to receive my GPU. It a ridiculous experience from start to finish. 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The purchase of my 2080ti. Nvidia really made a mess of that whole launch. There was no stock, no explanation, and mass confusion for weeks! it took me a month after they original promised to receive my GPU. It a ridiculous experience from start to finish. 

Wierd, I got mine around December and my experience went swimmingly well! :sun:

• Haha 1

I’ve been at a GameStop or store like that and you’ve got a mom / grandma with a younger kid and they’re giving him a hard time, acting like the entire idea of buying a game is stupid and a waste of time and being kind of loud about it and embarrassing the kid, and yet they’re still there and eventually buying the kid something (reluctantly). I feel like I’ve seen that happen 3-4 times over the years. Always makes me uncomfortable. It’s like figure this shit out before you come in here. Don’t embarrass your kid and make him feel guilty about enjoying his hobby. Or maybe they do it so everyone in the store knows THEY aren’t cool with this weird shit. 

When Borderlands first came out, I split a 4-pack on Steam with some friends. To do that, I signed up for a Paypal account and had them send me money. I don't remember the specifics, but there was something about my Paypal account not being "verified", and Steam disabled my account. They were able to restore it after a few days, but man that was scary

I bought LA Noire sometime after release on sale at Walmart for the X360 late at night. After I left Walmart I could hear the disc jumping around inside of the case, which is usually bad luck for me. They almost always never work when that happens, but whatever I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

When I get home I open the case and am relieved to see that there is no visible damage that I can see anyways. I pop it into the 360 and sure enough my luck continues, it wont read. I take it out, wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth, air dust the 360, it doesn't help. So I head back down to Walmart, its only a mile away from my house.

I go to the tobacco line that is open 24/7 because they have exchanged stuff for me before, but its a new employee and they weren't sure so they asked to go to the customer service line. So I'm waiting in the customer service line, the only person there, with one person behind the counter. She is walking back and forth around the little wall that separates the customer service counter and doesn't notice me. I wait probably 5-10 minutes just waiting for her. She comes around the corner and dead eye stares at me, turn the light off, and leaves. I'm pissed, but my buddy who was with me was having a good laugh about it and so I join in with him to try and let it slide.

Returned the next morning to return the game, I'm not going to exchange it anymore. So I run to another store nearby, probably Target or Best Buy. Get home and after an hour or so I hate the game, have 0 interest in playing it. So its just a horrible purchase all around.

I went to the Gamestop by my work the day before RDR2 came out, about their deal to trade in my launch XB1 and get an X and RDR2.  They told me the deal would only work on a bundle that they didn't carry in their store (and was largely sold out everywhere).

On a hunch, Saturday morning I went to the store near my house, and asked about the deal.  They told me that the deal applied to all XB1X bundles -- and they had sold all 7 they had in stock over the previous 24 hours.  And all of the store in the metro area had as well.

So, I'm still rocking my XB1 launch console.

My local GameStop is basically PopCopy.

Everyone that works in there looks and acts like they're on work release and even attempting to pay is met with a seemingly 10-second-long sigh and body language that says "suck my dick". I've had a dude shit-talk me right in front of my face to the other employee, which was so absurd I burst out laughing. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 

oh you said gaming purchase as in the process of purchasing a game. Sorry I thought you met actual purchase of a shitty game. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thays what I was gonna say :lol:

LOL I was also coming in here to post this.

But actually on topic:  When I was a kid I once bought a Sega 32X game not realizing that it wouldn't work in my regular Genesis.  I was heartbroken when I got home :cry:

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

LOL I was also coming in here to post this.

But actually on topic:  When I was a kid I once bought a Sega 32X game not realizing that it wouldn't work in my regular Genesis.  I was heartbroken when I got home :cry:

That is so awful knowing that it was probably your entire year's budget for a new console haha

Ubisoft's botch of the PC release of South Park: Fractured but Whole. They decided not to ship physical releases (ie: the CE) for the PC version on launch day, which delayed it by several weeks. Thankfully, Amazon apparently ripped them a new one and anyone who made a physical PC release order from Amazon received digital codes two days after launch for free.

When Ocarina of Time was coming out, I wanted to get the gold cartridge version so I pre-ordered it from Babbages (I'm old). Anyway, on release day, I went to the store and there was a long line. I got in line and by the time they got to me, they were all out of gold cartridge versions of the game.

So why the fuck did I pre-order it? What was even the point of a pre-order? IF you're not going to actually be able to fulfill something, don't take my fucking money you fuck faced fucker fucks.

After playing and loving the original Command & Conquer, back in 1995, I couldn't wait for it's sequel. Finally, four years later, on its launch day in 1999, I came home with Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun. I ended up being completely disappointed. For as much as I loved the first one and looked forward to this one, I think this is my biggest gaming disappointment.

I bought The Divsion one the day it came out, lost the game on the way home, turned around and went back to bestbuy and bought another copy :angry:

Oh and when the PS3 first came out? They were so scarce on NYC at the time that I paid away above the market rate for a 20gb console than I should have at launch.  Like stupidly high.

God of War 3.

I had already done the whole midnight launch parties a few times for big games and I realized they were crock of horshit. They mostly come out during a work day you don't even get home until 1 am you have to install the game and finally start playing around 1:30 and for what? To be tired in 20 mins and have to be in bed anyway? really its shit.

BUT 

When i got God of War 3 i decided i didn't want to wait in line at any game store. In fact wasn't going to get it at all that day. Midnight rolled around and I thought to myself "well why not just go get it at the 24H Walmart. So as expected no big launch party or anything but I did have to ask for the game near the main registers they didn't have it at the game sections.  So why was it the worst? It's nothing major but just try to imagine the people who shop at midnight at walmart. It was just creepy af and the store was gross. So that was the last Midnight game i bought. All others I just pick up after work on my way home on the day of release, if its a physical copy I'm buying. 

I couldn’t tell you what game but it was on the PS2. My dad and I went to Wal-Mart to buy me a game and apparently one guy was working in that area. My dad walks around looking for somebody to unlock the case and finds somebody talking to another guy about a TV. Remember, this is literally the only dude in sight. We went over to the jewelry area to ask for fucking help. But employee looks at my dad and my dad says he needs a game when dude gets a chance. Employee doesn’t say anything and turns his back on my dad. My dad is fucking livid right now and marches down to the front of the store and pulls an “I need to see a manager” move. Manager comes out and my dad mentions the employee ignoring him but my dad is like “I just want the damn game can SOMEBODY help us”. What should have been like 5 minutes in the store turned into like 25 minutes because my dad tried to be patient.