Jump to content
SFLUFAN

Television Trailer for HBO's "Chernobyl" miniseries, update: multiple very positive reviews

Recommended Posts

I haven't read the New Yorker piece, but I have read things about Dyatlov. 

 

He was a guy baked into the system and was ambitious to ascend and become a "boss" like Fomin. He was very competent and knew how the operate the reactor, but he was a shrewd manager and did indeed berate people. However, after serving a prison sentence for his role in the disaster, he spoke out against blaming the personnel (Akimov, Toptunov, etc) for their actions, because of the flaws in the reactor design. So he was a complicated figure that got some form of redemption for the operators in the end, but did wind up dying of radiation related illness. So I'd say that's some penance. 

 

Additionally, Legasov is not portrayed this way in episodes 1-4, but he was a party apparatchik in real life. That comes out a bit when the KGB guy gets him in the room in ep. 5 and recounts the things he's done on his way up the ladder. But knowing what I know about him, he was a party guy through and through. He just broke out beyond that through the course of the disaster. But of course, portraying it that way would prove difficult, narratively. 

 

Should I bother? Because I don't care to read rehashed criticisms of "oh, well, Khomyuk wasn't a real person, so they got it wrong" or "Ignatienka already had kids when she was pregnant at Hospital No. 6."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone cut together episodes 5 and 1 and placed them in chronological order, if anyone is interested in seeing the disaster play out that way. 

 

 

I love how the show started as a horror show, then turned into basically a disaster movie, and then a war story, and finally a murder mystery. Craig Mazin is kind of a genius. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Craig Mazin is kind of a genius. 

I’ve been saying this since Scary Movie 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 11:57 AM, CayceG said:

I haven't read the New Yorker piece, but I have read things about Dyatlov. 

 

He was a guy baked into the system and was ambitious to ascend and become a "boss" like Fomin. He was very competent and knew how the operate the reactor, but he was a shrewd manager and did indeed berate people. However, after serving a prison sentence for his role in the disaster, he spoke out against blaming the personnel (Akimov, Toptunov, etc) for their actions, because of the flaws in the reactor design. So he was a complicated figure that got some form of redemption for the operators in the end, but did wind up dying of radiation related illness. So I'd say that's some penance. 

 

Additionally, Legasov is not portrayed this way in episodes 1-4, but he was a party apparatchik in real life. That comes out a bit when the KGB guy gets him in the room in ep. 5 and recounts the things he's done on his way up the ladder. But knowing what I know about him, he was a party guy through and through. He just broke out beyond that through the course of the disaster. But of course, portraying it that way would prove difficult, narratively. 

 

Should I bother? Because I don't care to read rehashed criticisms of "oh, well, Khomyuk wasn't a real person, so they got it wrong" or "Ignatienka already had kids when she was pregnant at Hospital No. 6."

 

 

 

Yeah, I found that article after having only watched up to episode 3 and just finished the last two tonight. I was surprised when I got to the scene with the KGB guy after the trial where the KGB guy basically directly calls out Legasov for being a party man and working the system his whole life. The piece made it sound like there was nothing like that in there. I think it was definitely a strategic decision to hold that into the very end, and I'm sure the real Legasov differed a lot from how he was presented in episodes 1-4, but... I dunno, that's kinda fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 1:39 PM, TwinIon said:

 

I imagine this will be a fun watch:

 

I just read the New Yorker piece on what Chernobyl got horribly wrong, and I feel like the overall criticism is horribly vague, or directed at dramatic devices that I find easy to forgive. Yes, it's probably true that a scientist like Legasov would have known how the system works, and there would have been fewer direct threats or direct challenges, but I can forgive those artificial moments for the drama they produce. The amalgam character of Khomyuk exists to show all the alternative viewpoints and outside expertise that various scientists brought to the disaster. She's a convenient narrative device, if not a very accurate one.

 

The big lie, according to the New Yorker, is that Dyatlov was not particularly responsible for what happened. Instead it was simply a matter of "a system digging its own grave." My reading of the series is that's exactly what Dyatlov represents, but the New Yorker doesn't address any specifics as to what happened to cause the disaster. From the little outside reading I've done on this subject, I feel like Craig Mazin did his best to accurately represent exactly what happened, as far as we can tell. Maybe we should have spent more time with Dyatlov before the disaster to better understand all the incentives and deficiencies in the system that explain his actions that night, but it certainly seems like the mechanics of the story were correct.

The creator literally talks about the need to take some dramatic licence in the podcast. Specifically on many of these exact issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rewatched the first three episodes last night. That's a fucking marathon of heavy. 

 

I'm going to watch 4 and 5 again throughout the week. This show is so incredible. But there are liberties taken with facts. 

 

 

But in general, I think it's extremely forgivable because either that's what they thought at the time, or the portrayal is to make a point for characterization. 

But I super don't want to get into filmmaking criticisms here. It's too poignant for the discussion to descend into those things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Craig Mazin should stop doing comedies (given that's all he's done until Chernobyl and they have all been uniformly terrible). Stick to drama/serious work Craig Mazin, he's clearly much better at it than comedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think Craig Mazin should stop doing comedies (given that's all he's done until Chernobyl and they have all been uniformly terrible). Stick to drama/serious work Craig Mazin, he's clearly much better at it than comedy. 

it could also be that this was an actual passion project, and most of those trash movies were probably just "work".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

it could also be that this was an actual passion project, and most of those trash movies were probably just "work".

 

I'm sure that it was but he literally made only bad movies until Chernobyl, even if a project isn't your passion project if you have the skill he shows here in Chernobyl your previous work should at least accidentally be better than his resume indicates. The clear difference is tone - everything else he's done before have all been clear-cut comedies (barring The Huntsman: Winter's War, which he co-wrote, which you could argue is an unintentional comedy). :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this makes sense. 

 

I don't wish harm to anyone. But I do hope they lose followers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of those are like "okay, they are kind of stupid and insensitive, but they appear to be taking precautions." And then there is the girl leaning against the metal, radioactive bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also there is something extremely morbid about going to a site that witnessed ungodly horrors to take a glory shot of your ass.

 

Next up: dick pics from Auschwitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Also there is something extremely morbid about going to a site that witnessed ungodly horrors to take a glory shot of your ass.

 

Next up: dick pics from Auschwitz

 

About that...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say groups of people are stupid, and this is generally true! But please, please, don't discount how stupid individuals can be as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to a birthday party this weekend for a senior reactor operator who works at Ginna nuclear power plant which is the oldest nuclear power plant in operation in the US, the party will be full of people that work at the plant. Can't wait to hear how many questions I overhear about Chernobyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Going to a birthday party this weekend for a senior reactor operator who works at Ginna nuclear power plant which is the oldest nuclear power plant in operation in the US, the party will be full of people that work at the plant. Can't wait to hear how many questions I overhear about Chernobyl.

 

If you're asked how you like the cake, respond with "not great, not terrible."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CayceG said:

 

If you're asked how you like the cake, respond with "not great, not terrible."

Will it be....yellow???

 

:dab2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...