Jump to content

Trailer for HBO's "Chernobyl" miniseries, update: multiple very positive reviews


Recommended Posts

That FUCKING ending. 

 

 

FUCK. 

 

 

F U C K.

 

 

 

Fun fact: Two of those men are still alive and the third lived until the mid 2000s. 

 

But that ending was... intense is too light a word for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johnny said:

Holy fucking shit dude the end of that episode. This show is amazing 

 

The ending happened. When they went into the water, their flashlights died and they had to feel their way to the valves by hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CayceG said:

 

The ending happened. When they went into the water, their flashlights died and they had to feel their way to the valves by hand.

Yeah that was crazy. What’s almost crazier is all the stuff with the government and scientists. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

They should be... You also have HBO go if you are an HBO subscriber. They are definitely on there.

I...got it for free as a trial with FIOS I think and was simply too lazy to cancel and forgot about it. I think that makes me a subscriber!? I'm fried sometimes, damn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I...got it for free as a trial with FIOS I think and was simply too lazy to cancel and forgot about it. I think that makes me a subscriber!? I'm fried sometimes, damn. 

 

Yeah you're paying for it lol... login to HBO go with your Fios credentials. and you should be good to go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that was way way way more brutal than I anticipated. The preview of Toptunov looking so bad was absolutely not the most gruesome, and it was still incredibly gruesome. Fucking Vasily... I honestly had to look away. 

 

 

Now, Akimov... they didn't show him, but you could tell that Khomyuk's description of "he didn't have a face" was real. I rewatched the scene and her eyes dart away from him every time she brings herself to look at him. It's that horrific. And they didn't show it. BECAUSE IT'S THAT HORRIFIC. 

 

 

Also, miners were fucking heroes and easily the best part of the episode. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Well, that was way way way more brutal than I anticipated. The preview of Toptunov looking so bad was absolutely not the most gruesome, and it was still incredibly gruesome. Fucking Vasily... I honestly had to look away. 

 

Same. I could not stomach it. The body horror here is more horrific to me than in any other movie/show I've ever seen. And Legasov's description of what the firefighters and engineers were going to go through over the next few days/week was disgusting. Then seeing it play out... I had to look away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the direction and the makeup and the sound are all top notch and absolutely give this show the atmosphere it has. 

 

 

But we know what is coming. 

 

 

Soldiers are going to be roaming the Zone and killing abandoned pets. I'm not ready. I'd rather watch Akimov's face melt off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These episodes are just so good

 

Question: where was Dyatlov? Was he the first patient Khomyuk met who told her to fuck off if she wasn't bringing him food? They later said I think that "they wouldn't let anyone see him" or something but Jared Harries mentioned him as being responsible and in a prison camp in the 2 year flash forward so I'm very curious about Dyatlov. Theoretically he might be open to explaining more about what happened now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

These episodes are just so good

 

Question: where was Dyatlov? Was he the first patient Khomyuk met who told her to fuck off if she wasn't bringing him food? They later said I think that "they wouldn't let anyone see him" or something but Jared Harries mentioned him as being responsible and in a prison camp in the 2 year flash forward so I'm very curious about Dyatlov. Theoretically he might be open to explaining more about what happened now. 

 

Yes, he was the first patient Khomyuk met in the hospital who told her to fuck off. 

 

It'll get explained later in the series about what happens to him. If you don't know the history, check out this, which I'll put in spoilers in case you want to find out in subsequent episodes:

Spoiler

Dyatlov was put on trial along with Bryukhanov and Fomin. They were found guilty and responsible of ordering the safety test on the reactor, which was ultimately the cause of the accident. Dyatlov was night shift chief, so he was responsible for carrying out the test. He was sentenced to a labor camp. 

 

Additionally, there's a sub-spoiler:

Spoiler

Initially, the operators in the control room (Akimov and Toptunov--who we saw dying of radiation poisoning and were interviewed by Khomyuk) were blamed for the accident and disregarding safety warnings. But through the trial, Dyatlov was found responsible, and subsequently he fought to clear the names of Akimov and Toptunov. Instead, he blamed the poor design of the reactor itself. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

I haven't read it, but it's on my list to pick up.

Oh, I thought you'd said earlier you'd read it after you heard about it. 

 

I think it's going to be a good one. I'm trying to read up on this event, because I've only ever known the basics. I want to see how accurate the show is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, I thought you'd said earlier you'd read it after you heard about it. 

 

I think it's going to be a good one. I'm trying to read up on this event, because I've only ever known the basics. I want to see how accurate the show is.

 

No. I've read 1:23:40. It's another that I recommend. 

 

 

EDIT: I said I bought it. Which, I think I only put it on my wishlist, by mistake. Either way, I haven't read it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

No. I've read 1:23:40. It's another that I recommend. 

 

 

EDIT: I said I bought it. Which, I think I only put it on my wishlist, by mistake. Either way, I haven't read it. 

So as someone who probably has a decent knowledge of the event, how much does the show embellish? 

 

Like, I know that Emily Watson's character isn't based on a real person, but more there to represent the many scientists who were involved with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been blown away by this show.  I never knew any of the details of Chernobyl so this series is both eye opening and devastating to watch.  

 

Seeing the scenes of the abandoned apartment buildings reminded me of the Sniper level in CoD4.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CayceG said:

 

Yes, he was the first patient Khomyuk met in the hospital who told her to fuck off. 

 

It'll get explained later in the series about what happens to him. If you don't know the history, check out this, which I'll put in spoilers in case you want to find out in subsequent episodes:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

I won't read the spoilers until the show is done, but thank you for the confirmation and explanation - good it'll be addressed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...