Update: From Software/GRRM collaboration is called "Elden Ring" (confirmed)

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

The genre of "mech simulation" is the genre of games that attempts to simulate the piloting of mechs.  (Which is actually pretty silly to call it a "simulation", given you are simulating a fictitious thing).

So a "mech game" would be any game that has a significant focus on mechs -- it doesn't refer to a genre.  Just like a ninja games, pirate games, zombie games, alien games, etc. don't refer to genres, but rather the content/theme of the game...

tenor.gif

If I ask for a mech game, I want a game where I control a mech (not necessarily a mech sim), not a game where I run around as a dude and fight mechs and OCCASIONALLY get my own mech.

But I guess that means we need more concise descriptors when asking for games. If I asked for a mech game and someone recommended me Titanfall, I'd be very disappointed. I'd want Mechs In My Veins by Mechsuit McGee, not Poppin' Dudes (feat. Mechs) by Pilot McFuck!

This was an april fools gag?

If not, I don't understand the excitement for GRRM helming the story instead of FS.  His stories are good because he writes sprawling, detailed novels with complex character development and an impressive amount of narrative threads simultaneously woven together.  FromSoft's storytelling style is almost the complete OPPOSITE of that, featuring sparse writing, story primarily told through visuals and obscure lore.  What GRRM might bring to the table is unpredictable deaths of main characters, but I just don't see how his method of storytelling will make the jump to an interactive medium intact.

What most game studios need aren't writers known for sprawling, complex narratives, but the ability to write clever dialogue (and actors to make it sing).  Dialogue in games is still pretty heavily featured as part of the experience, but it's also what tends to hold story-driven games back the most.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

If I ask for a mech game, I want a game where I control a mech (not necessarily a mech sim), not a game where I run around as a dude and fight mechs and OCCASIONALLY get my own mech.

But I guess that means we need more concise descriptors when asking for games. If I asked for a mech game and someone recommended me Titanfall, I'd be very disappointed. I'd want Mechs In My Veins by Mechsuit McGee, not Poppin' Dudes (feat. Mechs) by Pilot McFuck!

Fair enough, but isn't saying Titanfall's not a mech game because you mostly play sans mech kinda like saying Godzilla 2013 isn't a Kaiju movie just because Godzilla had far less screentime than the human characters?

41 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Fair enough, but isn't saying Titanfall's not a mech game because you mostly play sans mech kinda like saying Godzilla 2013 isn't a Kaiju movie just because Godzilla had far less screentime than the human characters?

I'd say if your definition of a Kaiju movie is big monsters destroying cities and fighting each other, then the new Godzilla was probably a major disappointment. If your definition of a Kaiju movie is just having a big badass monster who doesn't show up much but is still the central theme of the movie (or literally there just being a Kaiju), then you were probably a lot happier.

Our definitions set expectations, which then causes friction when expectations aren't met. It's all arbitrary, of course, but being arbitrary doesn't make you feel better about being let down.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Never saw a Godzilla film until the 2013 one. Holy shit was that a letdown. Literally Big Jaws. 

How was Jaws a letdown!?  Or was Godzilla a letdown to you not just because of lack of Zilla but you didn't find the characters to be interesting?

Also watch Shin Godzilla.

Just now, fuckle85 said:

How was Jaws a letdown!?  Or was Godzilla a letdown to you not just because of lack of Zilla but you didn't find the characters to be interesting?

Also watch Shin Godzilla.

Jaws is not a let down. Godzilla being Jaws for over half of the movie was a letdown. I expected a movie about a giant lizard fucking shit up. TBH, both giant monster movies I have seen a bit of a let down. This and Pacific Rim were disappointing. Pacific Rim less so but I wanted more fights.