Borderlands 3 | Official Thread of Memeriffic Shlooting, update: PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S technical analyses from Digital Foundry

Mr.Vic20

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Borderlands 3 shows Destiny, The Division, and other looter games how it’s done (PCGamesN)

Borderlands 3 pulls off a rare feat. It’s a game that calls back to its roots so successfully that I feel like I’ve never been away. But despite letting me bathe in that warm nostalgia, Gearbox hasn’t let Borderlands fall behind the Divisions and Destinys that have shaped the looter-shooter in its absence. Borderlands 3 feels bigger, better, and more badass than its predecessors in almost every way.

Borderlands 3 lets you fly between planets in a hub ship with custom quarters (PCGamesN)

Borderlands 3’s hub town isn’t a place on Pandora – it’s a ship called Sanctuary 3. Not only does it serve as the home to loads of vendors and quest-giving NPCs, it’ll also let you travel between planets for a more expansive adventure than ever before. It’ll also feature customisable player quarters and a room filled with the heads of monsters you’ve killed.

Borderlands 3 instanced loot is optional (PCGamesN)

Borderlands 3’s instanced loot will be optional. In a presentation at the game’s official reveal event, Randy Pitchford, CEO of developer Gearbox Studios, confirmed that players will be able to opt out of the system, which prevents co-op partners from swiping your gear.

Borderlands 3 has no loot boxes or premium currency, but it does have cosmetics (PCGamesN)

Borderlands 3 will not feature microtransactions – at least of a certain sort. During a presentation ahead of the game’s gameplay reveal earlier today, Randy Pitchford, CEO of developer Gearbox Software, suggested that in-game content will not be purchasable for real-world money.

Borderlands 3 Zane skill tree: all abilities and perks detailed (PCGamesN)

Everything you need to know about Zane's Hitman, Under Cover, and Double Agent skill trees

Borderlands 3 Amara skill tree: all the mystical Siren’s abilities revealed (PCGamesN)

Want to know how you can upgrade the Siren in Borderlands 3? Here's Amara's full powers breakdown

Borderlands 3 Gameplay Hands-on Preview: Going Big On Every Level (PC Invasion)

The game is shaping up to be an excellent addition to the Borderlands franchise, with plenty of familiar and new elements to please both longtime fans and newcomers. Although the vehicles may need a little work, and it can be easy to forget that some of the guns have a secondary fire, there is no doubt that this is Borderlands. The humor, the characters, and the insane violence are all there for players to dive straight into.

Hands-on: Borderlands 3 is a bigger, smarter Borderlands 2 (PC Gamer)

Borderlands 3 plays like Borderlands 2 after it took a few years off to eat clean, exercise daily, and read a book. It's bigger and smarter, but deep down inside it's still the same juvenile, violent game that I fell in love with. I'm so relieved.

The 4 best guns we found in Borderlands 3 (PC Gamer)

Four down, just under a billion to go.

Borderlands 3 will have microtransactions, but only for cosmetic items (PC Gamer)

Gearbox and 2K haven't exactly been clear when it comes to Borderlands 3's microtransactions, but it now sounds like the third game will largely be sticking to the model of its predecessor: there won't be free-to-play-style microtransactions, but there will be DLC, heads and skins that you'll be able to purchase. 

Borderlands 3 skill trees: Every Amara and Zane action and passive skill (PC Gamer)

Here are all of the Siren and Operative abilities in Borderlands 3 and how we'll be able to augment them.

Borderlands 3: Everything we know so far (PC Gamer)

As of an event in late April, we've now played Borderlands 3. Our complete thoughts on the guns, exploration, and vehicles from that session can be found here. Below, we've summarized all the details we gathered from that time playing, as well as interviews and trailers, in one place. 

Borderlands 3's main story will last 30 hours 'if you beeline it' (PC Gamer)

There's going to be plenty of Borderlands 3 to sink your teeth into. At a preview event on Tuesday, our writer James played about three hours of the new looter shooter, which is a mere fraction of the full game, as it turns out. According to creative director Paul Sage, the main quest for Borderlands 3 will last for 10 times that.

Borderlands 3 sticks to its guns (Eurogamer)

orderlands 3 looks to be in rude health, then, despite - or possibly thanks to - the fact it's outright refused to move with the times. It plays well, it looks great, and if its unashamed sameness is an attempt to remind one how good the series was to begin with, it's worked.

Borderlands 3 Borrows a Surprising Amount From Mass Effect, And It Works (USgamer)

The familiar elements of Borderlands return intact, but the canvas is much bigger now

Everything We Learned Today About Borderlands 3 (Kotaku)

At this early stage, Borderlands 3 looks like it’s bearing down hard on the series’ big calling cards—a wild variety of guns, a sense of humor that walks the line between irreverent and obnoxious, and flexible cooperative play. We’ll see whether or not that’s aged well when the game comes out in September.

Borderlands 3 goes beyond Pandora with new planets, new bad guys, and a big spaceship (Polygon)

There’s clearly a lot of fan service in Borderlands 3, but Varnell said a lot of narrative effort was devoted to making it accessible for new players, from intense playtesting to in-game reinforcement of familiar characters, systems, and themes. My demo started with the characters at level 10, but the intro, shown during the presentation, eases players in. Every major character and enemy has a stylish title card with pertinent information, so it’s entirely possible to jump in without knowing all of the series’ lore. And there’s a lot of lore.

Borderlands 3’s new player hub is a spaceship filled with fan service (Polygon)

Aside from the fan service, there are all kinds of jokes hidden in plain sight on Sanctuary 3. Some of which even Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford mustered a groan for during today’s livestream.

Borderlands 3 preview: maybe bigger is better (VG24/7)

If you’re expecting a big update, you could be disappointed, but Borderlands 3 clearly recognises what made the first two games so popular in the first place: guns and daft humour. Now we’re getting it across multiple planets.

An hour of Borderlands 3 looting, shooting and interstellar travel (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)

Gearbox fully unveiled Borderlands 3 during a livestreamed event earlier today with an hour of largely-uncut co-op footage, showing off a brighter and more colourful sequel than I was expecting. Combat is more mobile, weapons have alt-fire modes, bosses look more interesting and players can now leave the dusty wastes of Pandora to go shooting and looting on other planets. You can see the full presentation below, and they’re setting streamers loose on the game now for three hours of freeform play, so Twitch will be flooded with footage later today.

You’re not prepared for Borderlands 3’s sadistic influencer villains and how they’re part of its strangely relatable world (GamesRadar+)

Handsome Jack is a very hard act to follow. The charismatic douche carried players through Borderlands 2, somehow managing to tread that thin line between all of us thinking ‘oh my god, he’s such an ass’ but still barely able to wait for the next time he spoke to us. Borderlands 3’s two main villains, the Calypso Twins Tyreen and Troy, might not be as irritatingly charming as Handsome Jack, but they’re not meant to be. They’re coming out of his shadow by being based on the most irritating influencers you can possibly imagine, with hordes of followers that they actually like seeing you kill as hey, all that carnage goes down damnably well on their stream. Yet the terrible twosome is just part of why Borderlands 3’s world feels more relatable than ever before. You aren’t ready for it. Trust me. 

Borderlands 3 microtransactions are coming but they won't be 'pay-to-win' (GamesRadar+)

The Borderlands 3 gameplay reveal was exciting - we picked out 23 things worth geeking out about in our own Borderlands 3 preview - and you could tell that Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford was excited too. Maybe a little too excited, as that thing he said about Borderlands 3 microtransactions not existing is untrue by all but the most narrow definitions.

Borderlands 3 will let you slide around just like Apex Legends (GamesRadar+)

As part of today's Borderlands 3 gameplay reveal stream, Gearbox showed off a number of promising additions to the game's core FPS mechanics, the biggest being Apex Legends-style sliding. If you crouch while running, you'll slide forward like John Wick. My body is ready. 

23 ways Borderlands 3 is reinventing the Borderlands formula (GamesRadar+)

Our Borderlands 3 preview will get you up to speed on what’s changed

Borderlands 3 has a Captain America and Breaking Bad Easter egg and it’s perfect (GamesRadar+)

There’s plenty more where that came from

Hands-On With Borderlands 3 And Two New Vault Hunters (Game Informer)

In a lot of ways, Borderlands 3 acts like it is designed to fix criticisms of the series’ past, like movement-free boss fights and loot distribution. For a lot of series fans, the idea of a bigger Borderlands is more than enough, especially given the seven years since Borderlands 2. It is however a little unfair to call the third numbered game merely just a bigger Borderlands, as it is a more refined Borderlands from the get-go. The new ideas coalesce around tried and tested gameplay foundations to hopefully make for the best version of this concept yet.

GameSpot story hub for Borderlands 3

IGN story hub for Borderlands 3

I'm so hyped. They showed off so much good stuff in the on-stage reveal. 

Handful of random things that made me super giddy:
-Destructible cover

-Kicking/punching barrels towards enemies and then blowing them

-Guns with freaking legs that shoot missles

-Tracker bullets

-How amazingly colorful this game is

GAH!

I WANT IT NOW!

So previously the actor worked for Gearbox and did the voice for free, now for 3 he no longer works there and wants to get paid like a normal VA would. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Unless they pulled another Dave from accounting to do the voice again without paying him anything. Though it appears they hired a VA for Claptrap. I don't know why they would continue to expect him to work for free going forward. 

At least we don't have to worry about the game bogging down when there's a lot of loot on the screen. Dell over on Angry Joe show found out the hotkey the devs were using to spawn loot and tried to break the game by spawning as many guns as he could before he ran out of time. He got to a pretty impressive number on the screen and the game was still running fairly smooth. Granted, there was nothing else going on in the game at the time, but at least the code seems solid.

Randy physically assaulted me in the lobby of the Marriott Marquis at GDC 2017.

Wow.

As an aside, seems a bit conspicuous that he chimed in on my salary but didn't mention anything about the $12M of revenue he siphoned away from the employee royalty pool. FYI - GBX employees are asked to take lower salaries with the promise of royalty shares.

Yes, I really want to support this epic deal, developers getting more money and not passing it on to the employees is good!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every single thing I read about this game is just "bigger" and "more of the same stuff ("we" loved)" -- what's new? Are there more active abilities? I remember an early leak was that you'd have a bunch, but I'm guessing that was a false rumor at this point as I haven't heard anything similar. My old Borderlands crew keeps bugging me about this game but I was sick of the fucking second game before it even really began (was bored as shit after rescuing Claptrap, which was literally the beginning) and was utterly bored of it by the time we completed the damned thing. The core concepts were fine, there was just so little practical variety. The tons of guns didn't mean anything at all because all the good guns were your run-of-the-mill weapons, with classic stats like fire rate and big clips or whatever being most desirable alongside damage of course. Things like elements only served to make gameplay more tedious, as it was basically a "this gun only hurts certain enemies" stat rather than something actually interesting and impactful in terms of gameplay.

Frankly at this point I'd kill for one of these titles that goes the Diablo route of basically every action you do being some overpowered AOE blast or something that would take down hordes of enemies, with you mixing and matching abilities to tear the place up. Destiny kind of almost baaaarely starts doing this once you get the right combination of gear and skills, but it's just barely nibbling at the edge, giving you a taste of what it would be like if they really went all-in on exciting abilities rather than shooting fucking regular ass guns nonstop. Shooting guns should be there, of course, but man, I want classes that do nothing but use abilities! I want a fucking dude who gets runes instead of guns and can combine them in interesting ways to customize his own abilities! Something! Anything but this one fucking ability I use every 30 seconds to 2 minutes that most of the time I barely have any control over once I've activated it! And grenades are NOT abilities!

Why do we only get top-down games with this kind of gameplay? A gun is the least interesting way to interact with a game these days! Putting fucking legs on it isn't cute, it just means it's another part of the game I can't control, it's not gameplay! It's anti-gameplay!

Borderlands 3 Feels Like A Throwback To 2012 In All The Best (And Worst) Ways (Kotaku)

It’s been ten years since the first Borderlands game came out. A lot has changed, but it seems like Borderlands the video game series has not. That sounds like great news if you’re a Borderlands fan—but also, maybe Borderlands fans have changed, too. Sometimes nostalgia is just fine. Sometimes it’s nowhere near enough.

Borderlands 3 preview – Gearbox has something to prove (VG24/7)

Borderlands 3 is fucking ridiculous.

It’s ridiculous in scale, its characters are ridiculous, everything they say is ridiculous, the guns are ridiculous, and there’s even a friendly bandit who runs around in his boxer shorts, complete with simulated cock jiggle physics. Ridiculous!

Borderlands 3 is Primed to Shoot to the Top of the Genre – Extended Hands-On Preview (Twinfinite)

The extended play time confirmed what I initially felt after E3: Gearbox is playing it safe with Borderlands 3 and are giving players everything they liked about the series previously, more on top of that, and new features of course as well; effectively just a bigger better version of Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 3 Extended Hands-On Impressions – Comfortable Claptrap Comeback (Wccftech)

Borderlands 3 serves up some unique, fun-to-play new Vault Hunters, with the robot Beastmaster FL4K being a particular standout, but nearly everything else about the game – visuals, level design, sense of humor — feels distinctly familiar. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as there plenty of folks who just want more Borderlands. This is clearly a well-crafted, polished game, which promises to deliver a ton of content, but some of the excitement and anarchic spirit of the earlier Borderlands games seems to have worn off. Of course, I’ve only played five hours of the game. Perhaps I’ll find that spark hiding on one of the planets I haven’t visited yet. Dedicated fans are guaranteed to get plenty of what they want from Borderlands 3, but the series’ Siren song may not call as loudly to casual fans this time around.