What is your favorite videogame home console ever?

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You said success in regards to Overwatch, so I brought up the sales. Also, 8th for the year and only being out for two months is pretty fantastic.

I don't really look at Metacritic as a good comparison since reviewers used to hand out 100s like hot cakes. Many of the high-scoring FPSs of yesterday, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and slideshow games now with their horrid frame rate, and have weird decisions nowadays like auto-aim and a lack of jumping. So you can cite their Metacritic scores, but I wouldn't put too much stock into them if you did. :p 

Because Overwatch sold well, is a good balanced well thought out game, and holds together nicely. Doom might have an amazing campaign, but its multiplayer is a rush job that had no player retention and was generally disliked.

Sure and a lot of it follows how people review it. Some can completely miss the mark no doubt.

You don't have to look back to the 90's though. Look at the 2000's

Halo CE/2/3, Half Life 2, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, CoD Modern Warfare 1&2, Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena, Team Fortress, Borderlands 2, Metroid Prime, Killzone 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 3, FEAR, Timesplitters 2.

EDIT: Messed that one up

8 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Because Overwatch sold well, is a good balanced well thought out game, and holds together nicely. Doom might have an amazing campaign, but its multiplayer is a rush job that had no player retention and was generally disliked.

Sure and a lot of it follows how people review it. Some can completely miss the mark no doubt.

You don't have to look back to the 90's though. Look at the 2000's

Halo CE/2/3, Half Life 2, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, CoD Modern Warfare 1&2, Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena, Team Fortress, Borderlands 2, Metroid Prime, Killzone 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 3, FEAR, Timesplitters 2.

Some of those are first-person games, but I'd question if they're FPS games (Prime and Fallout 3 in particular). I guess it's fair to say they have some elements of that even if they're not in the classic vein like the original Doom or Quake. Timesplitters 2 I don't remember having a memorable campaign; its strength was making a map yourself (and again, the lack of jump felt a bit strange just a couple years after its release). 

Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Bioshock: Infinite were all released in the 2010s. And since I think FPS is being stretched just a bit on this, Portal 2 and Fallout: New Vegas were released this decade, along with Titanfall 1/2 and DOOM. Personally, I prefer third person anyway, so I'm happy to see some shift in that direction (I prefer something like Horizon Zero Dawn over the Killzone series, to the shift is all the better for me).

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Some of those are first-person games, but I'd question if they're FPS games (Prime and Fallout 3 in particular). I guess it's fair to say they have some elements of that even if they're not in the classic vein like the original Doom or Quake. Timesplitters 2 I don't remember having a memorable campaign; its strength was making a map yourself (and again, the lack of jump felt a bit strange just a couple years after its release). 

Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Bioshock: Infinite were all released in the 2010s. And since I think FPS is being stretched just a bit on this, Portal 2 and Fallout: New Vegas were released this decade, along with Titanfall 1/2 and DOOM. Personally, I prefer third person anyway, so I'm happy to see some shift in that direction (I prefer something like Horizon Zero Dawn over the Killzone series, to the shift is all the better for me).

Yeah definitely didn't double check all of those like I should have whoops. :p

Fallout 3 and Prime probably fit in a hybrid genre (FPS/RPG/Metroidvania). I have fond memories of TS2, but its been awhile, definitely something I should revisit, though I own it on PS2 and my PS2 is broken. I'd probably throw Portal in the same category as a hybrid.

But still my point being that besides a couple of games here and there we haven't had consistently good FPS games since 2000's, it starts breaking up in the early 2010's. I guess it could just be a short stint. Who knows.

7 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Yeah definitely didn't double check all of those like I should have whoops. :p

Fallout 3 and Prime probably fit in a hybrid genre (FPS/RPG/Metroidvania). I have fond memories of TS2, but its been awhile, definitely something I should revisit, though I own it on PS2 and my PS2 is broken. I'd probably throw Portal in the same category as a hybrid.

But still my point being that besides a couple of games here and there we haven't had consistently good FPS games since 2000's, it starts breaking up in the early 2010's. I guess it could just be a short stint. Who knows.

I loved Timesplitters 2 and spent a lot of time creating maps; I just don't remember the single-player "story" being more than what seemed like disconnected stories.

It's funny; I actually get your point somewhat because games like Halo and Half-Life 2 were so hugely influential in the 2000s. Those genres, in terms of popularity, really flourished to the point where even Sony was trying to get in on it with their own FPS franchises, Killzone and Resistance. But I don't know if I've noticed a decline necessarily? Among the other games mentioned, plus the Deus Ex games Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (which are definitely more hybrid since they're more RPGs with FPS elements), there's been quite a bit. I think some of the bigger, more popular genres have shifted, though, so while Overwatch is very popular, battle royale games like Fortnite are taking over the public conscience at the moment.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 3:06 PM, mikechorney said:

My favourite console of all time has to either be the PS4 or Xbox1 -- both have the best examples of video games in almost every genre.  If you were to ask me to answer this question 5 years from now, I fully expect to answer PS5 of XboxNext.  Games are just continually getting so much better, year-on-year.

If you were to ask me which was the best "in its day" -- the PS2 consistently had the most  and best games.  Because game development has gotten so expensive, I don't think we will ever get that much high quality software coming out on an ongoing basis, ever again.

Totally disagree 1000%. Games aren't getting better, they are getting prettier, yes!! But not better. Opinions respected in all, but having most of what has ever been offered, my favorite is the Xbox 360, followed by the SNES. I love my Ps4 Pro, and my Xbox 1 x, blah blah blah, but the best gaming memories are getting left further and further back in the dust by rehashes, and mindless copies of everything under the sun.

That said, I am a happy gamer, we have quality content to choose from in any type way or fashion. So many great games, and yes! Many have been great, just not the type games that never seem to leave you best gaming blissful memories, I'm not talking "ahh, remember when I made prestige 1000 in CoD 15. If i've lost you well then fine, as a gamer going on 36 years, i'm still real fond of the earlier stuff as for all-time favorite games.

I picked Xbox 360 though because it's where the whole gaming with friends and huge libraries of wonderful fun were had. The SNES is where those unforgettable games for the most part were first played by me though!

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

X is good, but very flawed. If it didn’t have the awful VA I think people would like it more (when I say people I mean fans prior to X). 

XII is actually very good as well, it’s just a huge departure. 

It’s not until XIII until the series goes to utter shit. And man, what a shit game. 

I played through the entirety of X. It was thoroughly mediocre and killed the series for me. Terrible voice acting, forgettable music, and going in a straight line for the entire game in all these lackluster environments...just blech. 

I actually haven't played XII, but I've watched my husband play chunks of it and I'm not sure how much the battle system interests me. 

I did play 40 hours of XIII and I don't know how I kept going that long.  I haven't bothered with the series since. 

2 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Hated FFX. Really enjoyed FFXIII. At the time, it was total eye and ear candy with an amazing battle system, one of the best FF protagonists (Lightning),  and serviceable anime story. And I still listen to the soundtrack to this day. Easily one of the best of FF. Of course the linearity, the hand holding, the lack of character customization and the lack of exploration brought it down a few pegs. 

Now I know never to take your opinions seriously. :P 

32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I loved Timesplitters 2 and spent a lot of time creating maps; I just don't remember the single-player "story" being more than what seemed like disconnected stories.

It's funny; I actually get your point somewhat because games like Halo and Half-Life 2 were so hugely influential in the 2000s. Those genres, in terms of popularity, really flourished to the point where even Sony was trying to get in on it with their own FPS franchises, Killzone and Resistance. But I don't know if I've noticed a decline necessarily? Among the other games mentioned, plus the Deus Ex games Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (which are definitely more hybrid since they're more RPGs with FPS elements), there's been quite a bit. I think some of the bigger, more popular genres have shifted, though, so while Overwatch is very popular, battle royale games like Fortnite are taking over the public conscience at the moment.

Yeah I guess its kind of going from a Golden Age to just regular releases maybe or as you say a shift.

Its just that we haven't gotten anything really fresh, innovative, or something just to stir the scene up. Its all been done before or really close to it. Not that games like Doom, Prey, Deus Ex aren't really good games, they just don't feel like something thats really that new. Titanfall 2's time warp mission is really really cool, but also really short lived.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I played through the entirety of X. It was thoroughly mediocre and killed the series for me. Terrible voice acting, forgettable music, and going in a straight line for the entire game in all these lackluster environments...just blech. 

I actually haven't played XII, but I've watched my husband play chunks of it and I'm not sure how much the battle system interests me. 

I did play 40 hours of XIII and I don't know how I kept going that long.  I haven't bothered with the series since. 

Now I know never to take your opinions seriously. :P 

I've found that X is usually where people draw the line of where the last good Final Fantasy. You either hate it or love it.

I also would probably place To Zanarkand in my top 5 Final Fantasy songs, but yeah the rest of the soundtrack isn't really great. The piano collection is really really good though (so are most of the other piano collections).

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think the battle system is fantastic. It is linear, but it is open enough and there's enough to go back to that it works for me. I actually thought the music was pretty good. 

X is a lot of people's entry point to the series, so it had this contingent of people thinking it was the best thing ever, which I do think turned off a lot of long-time fans. Sorta similar to how people reacted to 7. 

It's such a different game than the fantastic IX though, so I can see how it would turn people off. 

It's really kind of odd, because I never played a FF game until FFIII was remade for the DS. That was actually the first JRPG I ever really played and completed. So I didn't grow up with these games. I've played I-X(haven't beaten I or II yet) and X was where the series really fell off for me. 

I still have enjoyed some of the spinoffs, but the main series is dead to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 7:34 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I like your list except your lack of the Sega Genesis is disturbing lol

I always preferred the Super Nes, Neo Geo to the Genesis back in the day, although I have always been a multiconsole gamer.

I would have to Say the N64  followed closely by the xbox1x    it's the 64 for me because of the jump from 2d to 3d was fucking amazing.  I was grown then but played with my Sons plus I got my first taste of online gaming with Xband Playing killer instinct Making guys pull the plug on me. Also cant forgot the countless hours spent doing all nighters on the weekends playing Goldeneye  and Mario Kart Multiplayer

That's tough... NES, Genesis/MegaDrive, Saturn, Xbox 360...

Probably Xbox 360, because it really moulded the industry and streamlined online gaming and was overall fantastic in every way (minus RROD fiasco). The fact we can still play the games on Xbox One is very welcome.