Sign in to follow this  
Keyser_Soze

Anime Satoshi Kon's Masterpiece: Perfect Blue - Out Today on Blu-Ray!

spacer.png

For the film's 20th anniversary they have finally decided to release it on blu-ray.

I recall pimping this all the time back on IGN so I'm happy to see this finally come to blu-ray. I hope this means that Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers are soon to follow. :pray:

Sadly reviews are out that GKids didn't have the original film elements and this bluray release is a DNR of the non-2k UK bluray release from 2015. And then the Japanese licensors decided that the US release couldn't have the lectures and bonus contents from the older dvd releases, leaving this kinda bare-bones =/

I gladly sold my older Manga dvd for $20 to afford this new bluray, if anything, for the chance that dvd disc rot wouldn't affect me. But still, it's kinda sad =/

14 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

And then the Japanese licensors decided that the US release couldn't have the lectures and bonus contents from the older dvd releases, leaving this kinda bare-bones =/

As someone who looks at bonus content 1% of the time I don't really mind. I still have the original Manga release and don't even remember any lecture stuff.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As someone who looks at bonus content 1% of the time I don't really mind. I still have the original Manga release and don't even remember any lecture stuff.

It's more of a statement of how under-appreciated this movie is. Japan didn't hold the extras back for any exclusivity for themselves, and once again US distributors can only make due with they're given =/ Even the UK is being given an exclusive boxset that's the same video encode and missing extras... Japan just needs to get their shit together with these types of releases and let fans of any nation create a worthy release for once

Yeah Japan is slow to come around on a lot of things sadly.

Edit: I take my extras thing back. According to my DVD AF I said the extras were good. :thinking:

Honestly, fans are doing the best job via uploads of a lot of older anime, but if the release gets good reviews I always try to buy if I can. Perfect Blue is definitely on that list. 

I've had this on my watch list for a long time. This arrived at my house yesterday and I'll watch it this weekend. 

I have heard this is pretty underrated

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Millennium Actress is in theaters for two nights, "digitally remastered" so perhaps a blu ray is around the corner?

spacer.png

@Greatoneshere you going?

I am not going but very much looking forward to the bluray!