Wrestlemania 35: Women to main event WWE's biggest show for first time in history

Regular viewers already saw it coming, but it was officially announced this week.

Here is the full list of WM main events leading up until this one (where you see (c), that means champion):

1: Hulk Hogan and Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff with special guest referees Muhammad Ali and Pat Patterson

2: Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper/Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake (c) vs. The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid) for the WWF Tag Team Championship/Hulk Hogan (c) vs. King Kong Bundy

3: Hulk Hogan (c) vs. André the Giant f

4: Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase for the vacant WWF World Heavyweight Championship

5: Randy Savage (c) vs. Hulk Hogan

6: The Ultimate Warrior (c) vs. Hulk Hogan (c) for the WWF Intercontinental Heavyweight and World Heavyweight Championships

7: Sgt. Slaughter (c) vs. Hulk Hogan

8: Hulk Hogan vs. Sid Justice

9: Yokozuna (c) vs. Hulk Hogan 

10: Yokozuna (c) vs. Bret Hart for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship with special guest referee Roddy Piper

11: Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lawrence Taylor with special guest referee Pat Patterson

12: Bret Hart (c) vs. Shawn Michaels in a 60-Minute Iron Man match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship

13: Sycho Sid (c) vs. The Undertaker

14: Shawn Michaels (c) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship with special guest enforcer Mike Tyson

15: The Rock (c) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin in a No Disqualification match for the WWF Championship with special guest referee Mankind

16: Triple H (c) vs. The Rock vs. Big Show vs. Mick Foley

17: The Rock (c) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

18: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Triple H

19: Kurt Angle (c) vs. Brock Lesnar

20: Triple H (c) vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels

21: Triple H (c) vs. Batista

22: John Cena (c) vs. Triple H

23: John Cena (c) vs. Shawn Michaels

24: Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker

25: Triple H (c) vs. Randy Orton

26: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels in a No Disqualification Streak vs. Career match

27: The Miz (c) vs. John Cena

28: John Cena vs. The Rock

29: The Rock (c) vs. John Cena

30: Randy Orton (c) vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan

31: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins (Money in the Bank cash-in)

32: Triple H (c) vs. Roman Reigns

33: The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

34: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns

35: Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch in a Triple Threat match the WWE Raw Women's Championship

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Prep your anus because Charlotte is taking the pin/submission. It’s the only reason they made this a triple threat; so Rhonda doesn’t have to eat the pin or tap.

Oh it's prepped for many possibilities but I think Charlotte was in no matter what. The general understanding was the main Mania women's match was always supposed to be just Charlotte/Ronda but main event wasn't likely until Roman went down. I think Charlotte would have gone over Ronda. Ronda gets her time off and gets the win back later.

Becky becoming seething hot at Summerslam and absolutely bulletproof after Nia jacked her face up wasn't likely in their plans but they couldn't ignore her. She's still hugely over and #1 in merch despite the past 2 months of convoluted storylines/"injury" since Rumble. Perfect ending is Becky over Ronda since it's been more about Becky vs Ronda than Becky wanting to be Raw champion.

It would be very Vince to miss the point and have Becky over Charlotte, which we already saw twice and clean late last year, to save Ronda for Charlotte later. The whole build up Suplex City Brock was for Roman to eventually go over him and it would be a shame if they tried that again with the women.

5 minutes ago, 69los said:

Oh it's prepped for many possibilities but I think Charlotte was in no matter what. The general understanding was the main Mania women's match was always supposed to be just Charlotte/Ronda but main event wasn't likely until Roman went down. I think Charlotte would have gone over Ronda. Ronda gets her time off and gets the win back later.

Becky becoming seething hot at Summerslam and absolutely bulletproof after Nia jacked her face up wasn't likely in their plans but they couldn't ignore her. She's still hugely over and #1 in merch despite the past 2 months of convoluted storylines/"injury" since Rumble. Perfect ending is Becky over Ronda since it's been more about Becky vs Ronda than Becky wanting to be Raw champion.

It would be very Vince to miss the point and have Becky over Charlotte, which we already saw twice and clean late last year, to save Ronda for Charlotte later. The whole build up Suplex City Brock was for Roman to eventually go over him and it would be a shame if they tried that again with the women.

The match only changed because of Nia Jax being a dangerous idiot and f'n up Survivor Series. Charlotte is there to protect Ronda, and I'll be shocked otherwise. She's about to go into a Brock Lesnar style "beast with limited appearances" role.

Also, seriously, poor Asuka. :p 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, seriously, poor Asuka. :p 

no doubt

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, btw, apparently this is supposedly going to be over 7-hours long and the longest WM in history.

:| 

wouldn't surprise me at all. Probably end up watching it over a couple of days rather than straight through.

And I haven't been watching much lately but yesterday I was flipping channels and it was on and I caught a few minutes. WTF have I missed. Why was Braun yelling at a couple of dorks I don't even know? 

Complete bullshit but also very Vince to put all their eggs in one basket. At this point, I'd rather Kofi/Bryan go last if Kofi's slated to win. Very disrespectful to Asuka and any woman on SD that may have been looking forward to a featured match and not stuck in some clusterfuck battle royal to get a Mania participation trophy.

32 minutes ago, 69los said:

Complete bullshit but also very Vince to put all their eggs in one basket. At this point, I'd rather Kofi/Bryan go last if Kofi's slated to win. Very disrespectful to Asuka and any woman on SD that may have been looking forward to a featured match and not stuck in some clusterfuck battle royal to get a Mania participation trophy.

The only thing I can think of is that they’re unifying the titles...?

Still, so stupid.

Olo

Dave Meltzer has some inside information regarding as to how Vince McMahon made the choice putting the SmackDown Women’s Championship on Charlotte Flair as the big WrestleMania main event draws near.

Meltzer stated in the Wrestling Observer forums (online subscription required) that McMahon changed his mind yesterday afternoon about leaving the belt on Asuka. According to Meltzer, Vince didn’t feel it was worth having a 17th or 18th match on the card so Asuka would have an opponent that no one would care about. so instead

Vince incorporated the SmackDown’s Women title into the headline bout.

Meltzer has also stated on his latest Wrestling Observer Radio that the idea of including the blue belt in the three-way has been an idea floating around before last night, but it finally came to execution yesterday evening.

17 or 18 matches is too much, clearly, the 16-17 range is the sweet spot!

:| 

32 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

lets not forget a 2 hour long preshow. Seriously in another year or two WrestleMania will be an even longer even the Superbowl when you factor in pregame to post game coverage. 

One of their best WMs, especially in the past decade, was WM30 and it was barely 3.5 hours IIRC. The only "dud" match was Taker vs Lesnar and it's because Taker got hurt early in the match. This all-day nonsense and rumors of 7-8 hours are beyond ridiculous and need to friggen stop and go back to a 3-4 hour show.

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

One of their best WMs, especially in the past decade, was WM30 and it was barely 3.5 hours IIRC. The only "dud" match was Taker vs Lesnar and it's because Taker got hurt early in the match. This all-day nonsense and rumors of 7-8 hours are beyond ridiculous and need to friggen stop and go back to a 3-4 hour show.

3 - 4 hours really is a sweet spot. I'd lean more toward 3 and you could include the same amount of matches. I mean, Survivor Series 1998 was around 2 1/2 to 3 hours and had 14 matches on it. Not every match has to be epic, and being a longer match doesn't necessarily make it better. And they did that with a billion different storylines that all worked.

WM28 had three great main event matches/caliber matches that were longer, but if everything is that long, then the whole thing drags.

The one All-Day thing I liked was 2000 when they had a history of all Wrestlemanias prior to WM16.