Journey to the Savage Planet - Information Thread, update: coming to Xbox Game Pass this month

Pikachu

Launching in 2019 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Journey to the Savage Planet is an upbeat first-person adventure game set in a bright and colorful alien world filled with weird and wonderful creatures. As an employee of Kindred Aerospace, which proudly touts its rating as the “4th Best Interstellar Exploration Company”, players will be dropped onto an uncharted planet deep in a fictitious, far-away corner of the universe. Launched with high hopes but little equipment and no real plan, players are tasked with exploring, cataloging alien flora and fauna and determining if the planet is fit for human habitation.

Take a Journey to the Savage Planet, a bright and colorful alien world filled with weird and wonderful creatures. Coming Early 2020 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Epic Games Store, Journey to the Savage Planet is an upbeat first-person adventure game. As an employee of Kindred Aerospace, which proudly touts its rating as the “4th Best Interstellar Exploration Company”, players will be dropped onto an uncharted planet deep in a fictitious, far-away corner of the universe. Launched with high hopes but little equipment and no real plan, players are tasked with exploring, cataloging alien flora and fauna and determining if the planet is fit for human habitation.

Join the Pioneer Program!

www.savageplanetgame.com

• 3 weeks later...

Journey to the Savage Planet is the comedy Metroid Prime I didn’t know I wanted (PCGamesN)

The developers of Journey to the Savage Planet have been calling the game a Metroidvania since it was announced back at The Game Awards, but it wasn’t until I got to play it that I realised the influence is much more specific than that – it’s Metroid Prime. Sure, we’re trading foreboding galactic jungles and decrepit research stations for a much more colourful, pulp-inspired flavour of sci-fi, but there’s no mistaking the influences of this first-person exploration game.

• 4 months later...

I've watched a couple different people playing the beginning of the game. It looks like a metroid prime/survival mashup. The tone is humorous and the gameplay looks solid. I'll probably pick it up.

Also, if you pick the dog when choosing your character portrait all of your character sounds are changed to that of a dog. :thumbup:

Game Information

Game Title: Journey to the Savage Planet

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jan 28, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Jan 28, 2020)
  • PC (Jan 28, 2020)

Developer: Typhoon Studios

Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 77 average - 85% recommended

Critic Reviews

PowerUp! - 9.1 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is the first good surprise for 2020 and it's definitely a game for fans of adventure, exploration and, of course, Metroid Prime.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

With solid mechanics, one of the most imaginative game worlds we’ve seen in a long time and a killer sense of humour, Journey to the Savage Planet is pure joy from start to finish. Considering this is the first game from developer Typhoon Studios, it’s left me really excited to see what else they can come up with.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Typhoon Studios has created an indie title that will capture the attention of the masses.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Journey to the Savage Planet is a very pleasant and intriguing discovery experience, balanced and with a very particular mood. Visually captivating, the game knows how to dose moments of action with platforming, and its crafting system encourages exploration without forcing a tiring repetition and, added to all this, a light and very well told story.

AusGamers - 8.8 / 10

At a glance Journey to the Savage Planet might have the air of an action or survival game, which is a fair assumption to make when seeing its first-person viewpoint and main character walking around with ray-gun in hand. And sure, this is a well we visit far too often at AusGamers, but Journey to the Savage Planet is more Metroid Prime with light combat or even Super Mario 64 than No Man's Sky.

GamePitt - 8.8 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is a fun and rewarding exploration-based FPS with the option to play with a friend. It’s an adventure which you’ll be thinking about when you’re not playing it, wondering what lies ahead in the areas you can’t yet explore whilst imagining the kinds of creatures you’ll find living there. The colourful and whimsical nature of the game will leave a smile on your face, whether you’re kicking around creatures smaller than you or simply burying the remains of your previous attempt at life, it’s just so much fun! You’ll come for the colourful adventure and you’ll stay for the addictive and charming gameplay.

33bits - Spanish - 85 / 100

Journey to the savage planet brings back to life those good feelings left by the Metroid Prime saga at the time, and does so with a touch of absurd humour that feels great. We'll have several areas to explore and scan thoroughly, although it's a bit frustrating to feel lost at first and not be able to get your bearings. The co-operative is a very interesting addition, although it's not really designed in the best of ways. If you like exploration and adventure games, don't hesitate to give it a try.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet was such a fun way to kick off the decade, and I'm going to bring it up at the end of the year when people inevitably begin asking about the overlooked gems of 2020. If you want something light and breezy with an intoxicating collectible-based feedback loop, here you go.

PC Gamer - 84 / 100

Funny, fresh, and full of surprises, Typhoon's debut blends genres expertly. Co-op doesn't add much, though.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 83 / 100

A really colorful, tongue-in-cheek adventure that offers many secrets to discover. Sadly, the balance in the challenges needs some tweaking.

GamePro - German - 81 / 100

Sometimes almost too colorful an action RPG with a motivating Metroidvania principle and minor design flaws.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

A great colorful adventure that's especially fun if you are playing it with your friend.

COGconnected - 80 / 100

Though the planet is a savage one indeed, in this case, the risk is absolutely worth taking.

EGM - 8 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet's greatest quality is that it respects its players. Perfectly paced, genuinely charming, and rewardingly explorable, developer Typhoon Studios' debut is a love letter to thoughtful game design and the ancient art of fun over function. If you grew up loving 3D platformers and games with worlds that felt bigger than they actually were, Journey to the Savage Planet will make you feel like you're coming home.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet follows in the footsteps of Metroid Prime without pretending to reach or exceed the master.

Explosion Network - 8 / 10

There are so many moments playing Journey To The Savage Planet that I wish I had of been recording my reactions. Either because I began giggling or I simply turned my head in questioning curiosity.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

With fun discoveries galore, I was always excited to step back onto the surface of this uncharted world

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

The exploration serves as the centerpiece of Journey to the Savage Planet and almost all of its other parts enhance or are enhanced by it.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Journey to the Savage Planet is a satirical and colorful metroidvania that survives its corny jokes thanks to fun traversal and worthwhile exploration.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is a very good avdenture game, with a lot of humor and a great design. Overall gameplay is cool despite a quite linear progression.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

A short and satisfying space adventure which really is laugh out loud funny

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is a smaller, happier version of what No Man's Sky should have been at launch. Filled with things to find, trials to survive and, most importantly, genuine personality.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A beautiful, colourful, and bitingly satirical sci-fi Metroidvania that also has a welcome respect for your spare time.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Journey To The Savage Planet is a fun, arcadey ride with its comedic characters, cartoony art style and unique blend of game genres. Secrets and secondary objectives galore, creative creature design, and a rewarding gameplay loop only add to that ride. Although the co-op disappoints, you shouldn't overlook Typhoon Studios' great first game.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

The quirky environments and slick traversal systems make it a pleasure to explore. While the humor doesn’t always land, it still has a charm to it. If you can find someone to go on an adventure with you, there’s a lot of entertainment to be found in this bubbly and zany little package.

TechRaptor - 8 / 10

Satirical and self-aware, Journey to the Savage Planet shrinks the discovery of No Man's Sky down to a single planet that's bonkers and brilliant - and one you'll definitely want to visit.

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

Journey To The Savage is a short-but-sweet title you absolutely don't want to miss.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

A rollicking space adventure, Journey to the Savage Planet has the smarts to make you laugh out loud while taking shots at consumerism and big business.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

As any Trekkie will tell you, discovery is addictive, and Journey to the Savage Planet is almost all discovery.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Anybody pining for more Metroid Prime needs to put Journey to the Savage Planet at the top of their list. The game has a few rough edges and its sense of humor might not be to all tastes, but it captures that inviting, adventuresome Metroid spirit better than anything I've played in a while. This Savage Planet will pull you into its orbit if you give it half a chance.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.8 / 10

The game experience with Journey to the Savage Planet has been more than positive: if you love first person platformers, sci-fi and you are not really made for seriousness, you will certainly find "Grob" for your teeth...

Press Start - 7.5 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is a concise yet well focused adventure that channels the best bits of games like Metroid and Prey. Despite this, some unsatisfying combat and repetitive locales keep it from being the achievement that it could be.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Journey to the Savage Planet is an unpredictable adventure that knows how to amaze, entertain and make fun of capitalism.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

Journey to the Savage Planet is absolutely dripping with charm and personality, but the repetitive nature of the exploration and the stiff combat hold it back from being truly great.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

Typhoon Studios, formed by veterans of the Canadian industry, presents a great space exploration game for when we simply want to enjoy and let ourselves go, even if that means losing some depth and challenge.

Twinfinite - 3.5 / 5

Journey to the Savage Planet is well worth checking out if you’re looking for something to fill the void of time you’ve got during this fairly quiet start to 2020. The sense of exploration drives you forward, the satirical comedy lands every time, and the presentation on the whole just adds to the magical sense of exploring and mapping an uncharted planet.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

It's a game of MacGuffins, so to speak—what you're doing and why you're doing it is inessential to the joys and the juice on offer.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5 stars

Journey to the Savage Planet is full of breathtaking alien environments that you're encouraged to explore. I loved solving all of its puzzles and scanning each new flora and fauna I came across, but the shooting mechanics and world building could use some more work.

IGN - 6 / 10

This comedy exploration experience blasts off with a lot of fresh ideas, but doesn't quite stick the landing.

Push Square - 6 / 10

It might lack some polish, but Journey to the Savage Planet is an enjoyable jaunt across a strange, open-ended landscape. This is a game you play in order to explore its intriguing environment and interact with the wildlife -- combat is fairly dull, attempts at humour rarely land, and the story almost feels like an afterthought at times. If you're looking for an easy-going sci-fi action game, this just about does enough to satisfy.

Gamers Heroes - 55 / 100

Ultimately, Journey to the Savage Planet is a little less savage and a little more tame. What it does, it does quite well; it's just a shame it doesn't do very much. A decent title for those that get excited at the thought of exploration, but an otherwise unremarkable experience.

TrustedReviews - 2.5 / 5 stars

The platforming is quite fun and the feedback loop works, so at the approachable price point, if you want something absent-minded to play as background noise for a catch-up conversation, then sure, but beyond that… it’s probably not worth the seven to ten hours of effort to complete it.

USgamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

Journey to the Savage Planet puts you in a brilliantly colorful world, and tasks you with exploring to your heart's content. The moment-to-moment exploration is enjoyable, but the act of combat offers very little in the way of a challenge. The score and insane FMV adverts give Journey to the Savage Planet a lot of personality, but the tiresome parody nature of the writing really lets it down.

Slant Magazine - 2 / 5 stars

The game's themes feel like facile wallpaper over mechanics that feed into the ideas being critiqued.

ACG - Buy

"The game's unique blend of hilarious comedy, exploratory gameplay, and puzzle styled platforming combines with fantastic art design. Almost everything about Savage Planet works well together."

Eurogamer - Recommended

Gentle anarchy reigns in this brilliantly humourous adventure.

Kotaku - Unscored

Journey to the Savage Planet knows it’s wacky and embraces that. In 2020 I need to smile more, and Savage Planet made me feel great, even if I was covered in goo.

Polygon - Unscored

This is one of hundreds of games that ask us to kill and conquer, but never question our actions. The story tells us we’re here to have fun, and supposedly save the world.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

The Digital Fix - Unscored

Journey To The Savage Planet is a short, sweet and near perfectly crafted puzzle platformer with a refreshing and satisfying take on co-op progression. Those who love to explore, climb into, under and on top of everything to find hidden areas in the games they play are in for a treat with this one.

• 2 months later...

This is currently on sale on the Epic store for $18, so I went ahead and picked it up. 

I don't think that there's anything revolutionary about it, but Journey to the Savage Planet is a fun enough diversion. I completed the two primary missions and collected most of the random stuff in about 9 hours. I found the beginning very slow, nearly tedious. You can sprint for a really short amount of time, getting around is a bit of a chore, and dying on jumping puzzles can mean a decent amount of backtracking. Then, a little ways in, you get a double jump, and latter a grappling hook, and traversal becomes much more dynamic and the world really opens up.

I found myself in a slightly contradictory state where I was spending a lot of time in the beginning areas because I was scrounging for materials for upgrades and moving so slowly, and not really enjoying it. But once I could move around better and I was enjoying it so much more, I was speeding through levels without examining them too much. Partially, that has to do with recognizing the flow of the game. I became far less likely to search around for secrets when I knew that I wouldn't be able to access some of them until I unlocked a new upgrade or power, so I just powered through the second half of the game.

I know some people are allergic to short games and others to the Epic store, but I enjoyed my time on the Savage Planet well enough to recommend it. It's colorful and fun and, once you get moving, it's a lot of fun to explore. The Uber capitalist space future is about as about as funny here as it was in Outer Worlds, but the ridiculous art style is fun, if no longer particularly novel.