Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

On 3/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, Chairslinger said:

Seems so.

I think an important question that has gotten lost a bit in the shuffle is obstruction.

I have an open mind about collusion. I'll pretty much just take Mueller's word on what he determines, but from what we already know it seems like there had to be some finding of obstruction. If Trump didn't obstruct, then the concept is basically meaningless.

Barr is seriously going with "no collusion is part of why Trump couldn't have obstructed".

2 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

4 pages to say absolutely nothing, impressive.

I hate that I'm about to go to bat for Trump, but it very clearly states:

• Trump and no one involved with the Trump campaign colluded with Russia
  • While the SCO did not make a determination on obstruction, Bill Barr has reviewed all the evidence that the report lays out, and has declined to bring forth charges of obstruction.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Barr is seriously going with "no collusion is part of why Trump couldn't have obstructed".

While it's not a court case, to my mind what Mueller and Barr have done to claims of presidential obstruction is akin to what McDonnell's SCOTUS case did for bribery. They have nitpicked it out of existence.

If the standard is applied consistently, anyone concerned with presidential power should be terrified by this standard. 

We occasionally talk about how Trump is bad, but the guy after Trump will be worse because he'll be smarter and less impulsive. Imagine what the next guy will do with the precedent that, essentially, anything short of being recorded saying, "I am in the act of obstructing this investigation" is not obstruction.

This is important not principally because it makes them harder to be charged with obstruction, but because it makes it functionally impossible to investigate the president at all if they're a little smarter, and a little more careful than Trump.

I look forward to more details being released, and reading some legal analysis I trust on the subject, but that is my first reaction.

Just now, ThreePi said:

The Barr letter literally says "does not exonerate."

The Mueller report says that.

Barr's letter says he and DOJ officials reviewed the evidence set out in the Mueller report and said it was not sufficient to bring forth charges.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

The Mueller report says that.

Barr's letter says he and DOJ officials reviewed the evidence set out in the Mueller report and said it was not sufficient to bring forth charges.

Go figure that's the conclusion of the guy who already had his mind made up in that unsolicited letter to DOJ. 

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It's not the letter from the AG, it's from the Mueller report.

The letter from the AG says that ABOUT the Mueller report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/24/us/politics/mueller-report-summary.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Mr. Barr also said that Mr. Mueller’s team drew no conclusions about whether Mr. Trump illegally obstructed justice. Mr. Barr and the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, determined that the special counsel’s investigators lacked sufficient evidence to establish that Mr. Trump committed that offense, but added that Mr. Mueller’s team stopped short of exonerating Mr. Trump.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The letter from the AG says that ABOUT the Mueller report.

The Special Counsel states "that while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate."

https://judiciary.house.gov/sites/democrats.judiciary.house.gov/files/documents/AG March 24 2019 Letter to House and Senate Judiciary Committees.pdf

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Read the whole thing the first two paragraphs of page 3... it was left up to Barr and Rosenstein. What you quoted is Barr's and Rosenstein's conclusion.

No, Barr and Rosenstein's conclusion upon reviewing all the underlying evidence was there was not sufficient evidence to charge the president with obstruction.

I don't know how the preface "The Special Counsel states" could be anymore clear?

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

No, Barr and Rosenstein's conclusion upon reviewing all the underlying evidence was there was not sufficient evidence to charge the president with obstruction.

I don't know how the preface "The Special Counsel states" could be anymore clear?

It literally says that Mueller made no conclusion about obstruction either way. Like it LITERALLY SAYS that. Please read those two paragraphs I point too... The second paragraph states that because Mueller made no determination, it was up to the Dept. of Justice (AG Barr and Dept. AG. Rosenstein) to make the determination. It's literally there in black and white.

Either way... I'm not gonna go back and forth on this. 

If you are looking for brightside here, this is just the kick in the ass Dems in the House need to go full court press on their investigations.

Ending the possible conflicts with the Special Counsel investigation was always going to be a time for the Dems to rev things up. But with these findings, the Dems should feel minimal concern about stepping on the DoJ's toes.

I don't think Mueller was bias at all, but I think his much talked about conservatism led him to be hesitant to claim crimes without an extremely high standard being met.

Dems need to make the case to the American people that an election is not a trial. Just because it can't be proved in a court of law doesn't mean Trump Moscow wasn't super sketchy and Helsinki wasn't Trump shivving his own IC in favor of Putin. 

Put simply, if you're not going to convict him, give us the evidence so we can make our own determination of what passes the smell test.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4481202

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It literally says that Mueller made no conclusion about obstruction either way. Like it LITERALLY SAYS that. Please read those two paragraphs I point too... The second paragraph states that because Mueller made no determination, it was up to the Dept. of Justice (AG Barr and Dept. AG. Rosenstein) to make the determination. It's literally there in black and white.

Either way... I'm not gonna go back and forth on this. 

I'm on the same (metaphorical) page as you. I think we're arguing semantics here.

The genesis of this, my issue with Josh's tweet, was the statement "the letter from the Attorney General says" and then he proceeds to directly quote the portion that was written by Mueller, without citing it properly.

This to me, makes it sounds like something the Attorney General was saying, not something the Attorney General was quoting from the Mueller report.