Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

Yeah, there are all these reports that the Mueller report is a nothing burger... but if it is, why isn't Donald trump strutting around like a gloating cock-sure rooster... dunking and tea-bagging everyone? His silence has been deafening.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah, if the DoJ is doing things right no one outside of the people working on it should know anything.

It is my understanding that Trump calling up Barr and asking for a copy is one of those "legal, but traditionally unthinkable" things because at the end of the day the DoJ is part of the Executive Branch.

In fact, the WH has been so outspoken about using privilege broadly I am not sure how they plan to use it if Barr sends his summary to Congress before Trump goes over it. Maybe Barr has been informed to er heavily on the side of caution on anything he might think Trump might claim privilege on....

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

If the report doesn’t recommend any more indictments I’m wondering how bad it could be for Trump. 

They could have a bunch of stuff they couldn't quite reach "beyond a reasonable doubt on", for example. 

Just now, Jason said:

They could have a bunch of stuff they couldn't quite reach "beyond a reasonable doubt on", for example. 

There could also be a "if he weren't the president, I had enough to indict him" moment, but it's likely Mueller would see such a statement or intimation as too political to state.

I am already wondering if that will be the central question posed to him if the Dems bring him in front of the House.

As I think I said before, when you accept that Mueller was never going to indict Trump anyway, no more indictments doesn't really tell you much.

No indictments for the kids is frustrating, but I suspect they aren't really out of the woods yet because SDNY is the one looking into all kinds of Trump org stuff. It probably means Jr. is legally off the hook for an actual crime related to the Trump Tower meeting. But it always sounded tenuous to me that alone constituted a crime. With Mueller closing up shop it will be even more important for Dems to start making the case that things like that meeting, while perhaps not strictly illegal, is monumentally wrong.

There are so many possible details that, whatever the outcome, it will be great to finally get clarity on. For example, what the happy hell was the full story about Cohen and Prague?

I'm most interested to see how accurate emptywheel has been the past year.

She's offered a remarkable level of detail about the genesis of Trump + Russia, with Trump agreeing in principle to acquire loans through sanctioned banks VTB and GenBank.

Just now, osxmatt said:

Anyone taking bets on the time this drops?

2pm PDT / 5pm EDT?

Also important is how it will be disseminated. Barr is sending this to Congress, but that leaves open a lot of questions as to what that means for the public.

Will Barr release a(probably more redacted) version of the same document as he did with his announcement letter on Friday? Will someone in Congress leak it, or be allowed to release it in it's entirety? Or will they simply be allowed to give interviews where they characterize the findings? Or will it be deemed so sensitive they aren't even allowed to do that? I think we mostly assume it will be somewhere in the middle of those possibilities, but I don't think we know for sure.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah, notice they are going to get the Barr "letter".

It would be very interesting to know Barr's mindset here. Is he entirely bought into transparency? Is he totally in Trump's pocket? Somewhere in between?

Barr can slow roll the results, but it's likely if he tries to hide too much that'll just make it all the sooner we'll see Mueller in front of the House. I have to imagine there is an understanding between Mueller and Barr. The more Barr might try to hide things Mueller considers material, the more Mueller will feel compelled to cooperate with the House. And his cooperation could make a huge difference on what he shares or does not share with the House.