Microsoft looking to sell xCloud servers for competitors to run their own streaming services

crispy4000

I've been saying for months that streaming & subscriptions are headed towards a 'premium cable' model.  That prediction might have just got a shot in the arm.

Jez Corden (Microsoft insider at Windows central) says that Microsoft might be looking to sell xCloud servers to interested 3rd parties.  That means a streaming version of EA Access, for example, could run on their servers.  Any interested party could have a discussion with them about developing their own offshoots.  Given what we know about the state of PC launchers today, the big 3rd party players could be very receptive to that idea.

IMO, it's clear that Games Pass won't become the 'Netflix of games,' or at least what Netflix once was.  Too many companies see the benefit of not putting their biggest releases into someone else's basket.  But few companies have the infrastructure to support their own cloud services. 

If Jez is right, Microsoft might have found a way to still come out ahead in the inevitable splintering process.  It could also stop publishers from running to Google's lap, should they also pursue a subscription model.

... Crazy times ahead.  I will say, the more things fracture into individualized subscriptions, the happier I'll be sticking to direct purchases.