Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human, Beyond: Two Souls announced for PC (Epic Games Store launch exclusives)

Commissar SFLUFAN

As I said on Discord, I think that if these games weren't otherwise coming to PC, that this would be a valid use of "buying" exclusives, and I think would be a fundamentally way cooler selling point to the store over buying exclusives that were never meant to be exclusives and pissing everyone off. "Bringing console exclusives to PC" would be a much better header than "Turning the PC into consoles."

That said, I have no idea if these were already planned and they just bought the exclusive rights or what, but I would be 10,000x more okay with the EGS if this was the case.

17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

As I said on Discord, I think that if these games weren't otherwise coming to PC, that this would be a valid use of "buying" exclusives, and I think would be a fundamentally way cooler selling point to the store over buying exclusives that were never meant to be exclusives and pissing everyone off. "Bringing console exclusives to PC" would be a much better header than "Turning the PC into consoles."

That said, I have no idea if these were already planned and they just bought the exclusive rights or what, but I would be 10,000x more okay with the EGS if this was the case.

How is releasing exclusive games to an online storefront "turning the PC into consoles?"  It's not like Epic is releasing their own video card and without it you can't play their games.  If you have a PC, you can buy games from Epic with more or less zero extra effort and literally zero extra money.  The people getting butthurt over digital store exclusivity are choosing a very weird and trivial hill to die on.

32 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

How is releasing exclusive games to an online storefront "turning the PC into consoles?"  It's not like Epic is releasing their own video card and without it you can't play their games.  If you have a PC, you can buy games from Epic with more or less zero extra effort and literally zero extra money.  The people getting butthurt over digital store exclusivity are choosing a very weird and trivial hill to die on.

Sure it’s easy, all you have to do is buy it from one place.

Most storefronts offer incentives to buy from them. Epic offers no incentive other than buying rights to games you previously could get elsewhere. They basically give you no choice while previously there was a choice.

I personally don’t support what they are doing and I can wait it out. The devs got enough money from the deal that everyone could wait if they wanted to.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sure it’s easy, all you have to do is buy it from one place.

Most storefronts offer incentives to buy from them. Epic offers no incentive other than buying rights to games you previously could get elsewhere. They basically give you no choice while previously there was a choice.

I personally don’t support what they are doing and I can wait it out. The devs got enough money from the deal that everyone could wait if they wanted to.

Not liking another launcher is one thing, comparing store exclusivity to hardware exclusivity is another.

In just done getting new stores for no reason.  I have origin and battle.net that mostly stay closed and unused.  Uplay wormed it’s way onto my computer because I’ve bought Ubisoft games on steam.  I have GOG because they’re drm free and are a decent steam alternative.  Epic games seems to have shit out an incomplete product and make up for it by just throwing money at developers to not put their game on other stores.  I can wait a year to not support that shit, and I might even forget about the game when it finally hits steam or GOG in 12 months, saving me money.

• 3 months later...

why do PC gamers want Valve to have a monopoly on digital game sales? Makes no sense to me. Competition has forced steam to become better (returns, better customer service, more features, etc). 

Its not like you have to run the launcher at startup. Just disable that option and turn them on when you want to play THAT game. 

and why is Epic to blame? They arent forcing these publisher's hands. At this point they all know Epics business model and are still choosing to do business with them. 

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They don't have a monopoly on anything. You can buy the same game on Itch.io, GMG, Humble Store, GoG, indigalia, fanatical. The list goes on.

Thats kinda my point. Whether this game goes to steam or epic or any of em. If the cost is the same, who cares what launcher its on. 

32 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Thats kinda my point. Whether this game goes to steam or epic or any of em. If the cost is the same, who cares what launcher its on. 

Because Epic offers nothing. The store itself is a joke since there's no cart so you have to purchase things one at a time. It lacks cloud saving, achievements, big picture mode, the list goes on and on. 

Epic launched a half baked joke of a store without even the most basic features and uses their Fortnite money to pay publishers for exclusivity. They didn't work to earn people's business, they just throw money so people are forced to use their barebones shit if they wanna play a certain game within the first six months or a year or whatever. 

Some people value features and they also just like their games in a centralized location. It's not hard to see why people are sour on the whole deal. 

33 minutes ago, atom631 said:

On 3/21/2019 at 4:58 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Because Epic offers nothing. The store itself is a joke since there's no cart so you have to purchase things one at a time. It lacks cloud saving, achievements, big picture mode, the list goes on and on. 

Epic launched a half baked joke of a store without even the most basic features and uses their Fortnite money to pay publishers for exclusivity. 

Some people value features and they also just like their games in a centralized location. It's not hard to see why people are sour on the whole deal. 

Did they add a shopping cart yet? Maybe @atom631 knows.

4 minutes ago, atom631 said:

A lot of the launchers were a mess when they released, even Steam.  I guess the incentive is you get to play a game right away. If you're patient, then kudos to you I guess. 

The difference is Steam was basically the only company to do this. After 20 years basic functionality like wish lists and shopping carts should be a standard and easy feature to implement.

To you they are "launchers" but to many they are more than that. Steam has could saves, dedicated servers, community hubs, reviews, you can share your screenshots, marketplace, I could go on and on.

Why would I dump all of that for nothing?

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The difference is Steam was basically the only company to do this. After 20 years basic functionality like wish lists and shopping carts should be a standard and easy feature to implement.

To you they are "launchers" but to many they are more than that. Steam has could saves, dedicated servers, community hubs, reviews, you can share your screenshots, marketplace, I could go on and on.

Why would I dump all of that for nothing?

the only reason is you dont want to wait a year for  features that don't impact the game. I can see big picture mode being one if you are a devout user of it and dedicated servers for MP games.

I still think youre point the finger at the wrong people. blame the publishers/developers for agreeing to make their games exclusive on a sub-par launcher.  Boycott them entirely, not just until the game finally comes to steam.  

You can think both are shitty. But at the end of the day, the devs are just trying to make more money and Epic gives them that. Epic launched the half-assed product yet still thinks they've done something to earn the business of PC gamers by bullying their way in instead of building a competent system. There's no excuse for their sorry store and client in this day and age.

Alright, imagine you open up PSN and you go to play Bloodborne 2, but Bloodborne 2 is exclusive to EA's new ShitPlay platform. It's got a storefront separate from PSN (don't worry, it's still on your PS4, though!), and also a separate account you need to log into, and none of your friend lists or any PSN features work while inside this launcher. It offers absolutely nothing, makes buying games a pain in the ass, and then you find out 6 games you were looking forward to are now locked to it. Don't worry, you can still form a PSN party outside of the launcher, then launch it, and then you're good to go! Still no cloud saving or anything, but don't be a fucking crybaby just wait a year for these games.

Also the prices are higher since no one else has these games.

Also your PSN store balance won't work.

Also this company has security breaches a lot (the metaphor falls apart here because of Sony) but also wants to store your credit card info. And wants you to make LOTS of purchases since they're the only company in recent history who couldn't figure out a fucking shopping cart.

Just inconvenience after inconvenience at a higher price... in exchange for absolutely nothing. Also no user reviews or forums, so you can't even get an idea if the game is even functional before playing it.

EGS is the antithesis of competition. Anyone who considers it competition (especially in regards to Valve's "monopoly" which they've never had, we've bought our games from GMG and other sites for YEARS here) has no fucking clue what they're talking about and is only thinking about it on the superficial level of "hurr durr just another launcher."

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They don't have a monopoly on anything. You can buy the same game on Itch.io, GMG, Humble Store, GoG, indigalia, fanatical. The list goes on.

This. Valve allowed devs to sell Steam keys on any site without asking for a cut. This allowed sites like GMG to offer great discounts while the consumer continue to enjoy the benefits and features of Steam. 

EGS does not offer the same.