Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Teaser Trailer

It's not much to go on, but Tarantino's writing/directing credit and having just witnessed what might be the most on point portrayal of Bruce Lee in a film alone have got me hyped enough to see it.  Four months, baby!

On 3/20/2019 at 9:13 AM, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think that qualifies more as a trailer than just a teaser.

What I thought at first too, but considering how few plot details it has, describing it as teaser trailer makes enough sense.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, sblfilms said:

It is a guaranteed watch for me, even though I thought Hateful 8 was hot garbage. Hopefully QT rights the ship with this one.

It’s in my bottom 2 as far as his films go but I don’t know if I would say that any of his movies are garbage. It is too indulgent, I’ll give you that.

Even a bad QT film is better than most other movies (imho). That's amazing in itself. But if I had to rank QT's movies, this is how I'd rank them (since Tarantino apparently considers Kill Bill Vols. 1 + 2 "one movie" since he's counting Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as his 9th film, I will count them as one film as well, which makes them way better anyway). 

1. Inglourious Basterds

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Kill Bill Vols. 1 + 2

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Django Unchained

6. The Hateful Eight

7. Death Proof (unrated cut)

8. Jackie Brown

And I want to be clear - I like The Hateful Eight, Death Proof, and Jackie Brown, they are still better than a lot of movies, they just don't have the rewatchability the others have nor have stood the test of time as well (the amount of formalistic skill in Inglourious Basterds alone, ignoring all the classic characters and moments in the film, make it the best in my opinion as much as I love some of his other movies). What are other peoples' rankings and why? 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:24 AM, LazyPiranha said:

Can't wait to watch Charles Manson eating lunch and talking for 45 minutes straight next to Sharon Tate's corpse or whatever.

It’s going to be 160 minutes of footage of Margot Robbie’s feet with Leo’s voice dubbed over saying the n-word. 

• Haha 1

It's hard to rank his films IMO, simply because I think about and revere individual scenes/segments as opposed to the films as a whole. I think I would have an easier time ranking my top ten scenes/segments...

1.) The basement scene (Inglorious Basterds)

2.) The Bonnie Situation (Pulp Fiction)

3.) Zed and the dungeon (Pulp Fiction)

4.) The pastry scene (Inglorious Basterds)

5.) Breaking out of the coffin (Kill Bill Vol. 2)

6.) The dinner scene (Django Unchained)

7.) The Mexican standoff (Reservoir Dogs)

8.) The torture scene (Reservoir Dogs)

9.) The House of Blue Leaves (Kill Bill Vol. 1)

10.) The overdose (Pulp Fiction)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2472397/roman-polanskis-wife-isnt-happy-about-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood

Fact may be being mixed with fiction in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but Polanski’s wife Emmanuelle Seigner has shown her discomfort with his presence in Tarantino’s flick. Check out her words, translated from French by THR:

"I am just saying that it doesn’t bother them [in Hollywood] to make a film about Roman and his tragic story, and make money with it… while at the same time they have made him a pariah. And all without consulting him of course. How can you take advantage of someone's tragic life while trampling on them? "

On 3/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, Chris- said:

It's hard to rank his films IMO, simply because I think about and revere individual scenes/segments as opposed to the films as a whole. I think I would have an easier time ranking my top ten scenes/segments...

1.) The basement scene (Inglorious Basterds)

2.) The Bonnie Situation (Pulp Fiction)

3.) Zed and the dungeon (Pulp Fiction)

4.) The pastry scene (Inglorious Basterds)

5.) Breaking out of the coffin (Kill Bill Vol. 2)

6.) The dinner scene (Django Unchained)

7.) The Mexican standoff (Reservoir Dogs)

8.) The torture scene (Reservoir Dogs)

9.) The House of Blue Leaves (Kill Bill Vol. 1)

10.) The overdose (Pulp Fiction)

Cool list, but where's the tavern scene from IB?

• 1 month later...

Today! I love that Thursday previews have slowly moved back  over the years from midnight, to 10PM, then 7PM, now I'll be seeing this at 4. :lol:

I thought about doing a QT marathon leading up to this, but I didn't want to get burned out before watching the new one. 

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m completely unsure of what I thought of the movie.

That’s how I identify feel about his movies on a first viewing. I’ll think “obviously it was good. It’s Tarantino, of coarse it was good.” Then I have to watch it again to really let it sink in. Sometimes I do end up thinking it was good, sometimes I think it is not up to the hype. 

IB for example. I liked everything with the Bastards, and hated everything related to the cinema. Deathproof only got good once they got in their cars. So it was 80% boring. 

QT is lucky he blew up in the industry when he did. I don’t think any studio would take the risks they do on him as a fresh faced film maker today. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Taking advantage of a tragic life? It's a historical event, there's no taking advantage of it except dependent on how it's actually depicted. 

You just kind of answered your own question or whatever you wanna call it there though. It completely depends on context and portrayal in my opinion and you certainly can exploit tragedy if the context is off obviously. I haven't seen the film so I have no opinion on it yet. 

I strongly dislike American culture's general exploitation of serial killers and/or sensational crime and I honestly cringed when I read this was going to include the whole Manson aspect. Then again...Tarantino managed to QT the shit out of a WWII war film, which I hated in theory and then ended up thoroughly enjoying on screen. I'll see how I feel once I watch it. 

• Like 1