Disney Closes a $71 Billion Deal for Fox's Entertainment Assets!

http://time.com/5554731/disney-fox-entertainment-acquisition/

By buying the studios behind “The Simpsons” and X-Men, Disney aims to better compete with technology companies such as Amazon and Netflix for viewers’ attention – and dollars.

Disney needs compelling TV shows and movies to persuade viewers to sign up and pay for yet another streaming service. It already has classic Disney cartoons, “Star Wars,” Pixar, the Muppets and some of the Marvel characters. With Fox, Disney could add Marvel’s X-Men and Deadpool, along with programs shown on such Fox channels as FX Networks and National Geographic. Fox’s productions also include “The Americans,” ”This Is Us” and “Modern Family.”

Disney also gets a controlling stake in the existing streaming service Hulu, which it plans to keep operating as a home for more general programming. Family-friendly shows and movies will head to Disney Plus.

We finally will get AMAZING X-Men and Fantastic Four movies! :dancing:<3:flag:

we can all complain how bad it is for the industry, which it is, but they were getting taken over one way or the other. It was either going to be Disney or it was going to be Comcast. I hate Comcast and am somewhat hopeful/excited to see how/if xmen/FF will be integrated into the marvel universe, but I think the truth is that Comcast would have been more likely to embrace the fox properties and put out new movies, where I believe Disney is just going to use the catalog for their streaming and the odds of them actually increasing their movie output is almost nonexistent. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

we can all complain how bad it is for the industry, which it is, but they were getting taken over one way or the other. It was either going to be Disney or it was going to be Comcast. I hate Comcast and am somewhat hopeful/excited to see how/if xmen/FF will be integrated into the marvel universe, but I think the truth is that Comcast would have been more likely to embrace the fox properties and put out new movies, where I believe Disney is just going to use the catalog for their streaming and the odds of them actually increasing their movie output is almost nonexistent. 

You don't think they are putting out xmen and F4 movies?

6 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

For the people who don't like this deal, would you have preferred Comcast purchasing Fox?

Between the two, if that are the only options we have to choose from, then I would opt for Universal and Fox to merge over Disney/Fox.

18 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, I absolutely would if only from a market concentration perspective.

Exactly, Universal/Fox would be closer to Disney’s market share prior to the merger.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

You don't think they are putting out xmen and F4 movies?

No I think that's about all we'll end up actually seeing movie-wise from the deal. They didn't really purchase Fox with the intent of putting out more movies every year. Sure they'll add xmen and FF to the Marvel universe, but don't expect to see Disney actually increase the number of movies they are putting out each year. They may up their output by 3 or 4, if even that much, but for the most part I don't expect Disney to do jack with the properties they just purchased. 

41 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

No I think that's about all we'll end up actually seeing movie-wise from the deal. They didn't really purchase Fox with the intent of putting out more movies every year. Sure they'll add xmen and FF to the Marvel universe, but don't expect to see Disney actually increase the number of movies they are putting out each year. They may up their output by 3 or 4, if even that much, but for the most part I don't expect Disney to do jack with the properties they just purchased. 

Oh yea.  I see what you mean.  They are already putting out 2-4 super hero movies a year.  With DC putting out the same amount I doubt that they can possibly up that output much.  There will eventually be an over-saturation point.  No one wants a new superhero movie coming out every week (it already feels that way at times).

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I guess I don't see the issue with that. Mickey Mouse and Disney are no different than Mario and Nintendo in my eyes.

Our entire copyright system is having copyright periods extended forever pretty much solely to give Disney their stupid perpetual copyright.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, number305 said:

Oh yea.  I see what you mean.  They are already putting out 2-4 super hero movies a year.  With DC putting out the same amount I doubt that they can possibly up that output much.  There will eventually be an over-saturation point.  No one wants a new superhero movie coming out every week (it already feels that way at times).

I'm not even really talking about superhero flicks. I honestly don't forsee them putting out any more than 3 a year, even with the purchase of Fox. I just mean that Disney isn't really going to up their overall movie output. They aren't going to utilize the properties they purchased other than showing the stuff on their streaming service. Which is why we should indeed expect to see massive layoffs/firings coming on the fox end. 

18 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'm not even really talking about superhero flicks. I honestly don't forsee them putting out any more than 3 a year, even with the purchase of Fox. I just mean that Disney isn't really going to up their overall movie output. They aren't going to utilize the properties they purchased other than showing the stuff on their streaming service. Which is why we should indeed expect to see massive layoffs/firings coming on the fox end. 

The estimate is 4,000 jobs "rightsized".

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-fox-react-20190320-story.html

“I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that closing the deal was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone,” Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said in an email welcoming Fox employees into Disney. “What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our businesses to create a dynamic, global entertainment company with the content, the platforms, and the reach to deliver industry-defining experiences … for generations to come.”

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-x-men-disney-reboot/

Ryan Reynolds' titular Deadpool antihero is the only character from Fox's X-Men franchise not expected to get rebooted by Disney now that the deal is closed. Twentieth Century Fox first launched their X-Men film series back in 2000. In the nearly two decades since, the studio completed the original X-Men trilogy, kicked off a spinoff trilogy starring Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and rebooted the franchise with its own prequel series. Further, in 2016 Fox released the first Deadpool movie, which was well received by fans and critics alike, becoming one of the most financially successful X-Men movies ever.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/read-the-memo-disney-ceo-bob-iger-sent-to-employees-after-closing-the-71-billion-fox-deal/ar-BBV0D1Y?ocid=AMZN

I'm proud to announce the acquisition is complete and 21st Century Fox is now part of The Walt Disney Company. I'd like to welcome our new colleagues, and thank employees on both sides of the deal for your patience and perseverance as we worked through the lengthy acquisition and regulatory process.

As you know, Disney has never been short on ambition. We've never been satisfied with the status quo, and our vision for this transformative era is our boldest yet. We are rapidly transforming our company to take full advantage of evolving consumer trends and emerging technology in order to thrive in this new and exciting time.

Our acquisition of 21st Century Fox was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great businesses, brands, franchises and talent will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher – especially when it comes to building direct connections with consumers.

I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that closing the deal was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone. What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our businesses to create a dynamic, global entertainment company with the content, the platforms, and the reach to deliver industry-defining experiences that will engage consumers around the world for generations to come.

We've spent the last year exploring the new opportunities and synergies generated by bringing our two legendary companies together. Leaders across both organizations have worked closely together to understand how to best unlock this potential and unleash innovation and creativity to generate long-term growth. We're confident in our integration strategy and in our ability to execute it effectively; and we're inspired and energized by the new possibilities.

Our integration process will be an evolution, with some businesses impacted more than others. We've made many critical decisions already, but some areas still require further evaluation. We may not have answers to all of your questions at this moment, but we understand how vital information is, and we're committed to moving as quickly as possible to provide clarity regarding how your role may be impacted.

Having been on both sides of numerous acquisitions during my career, I have a deep appreciation for how this one impacts everyone involved, on both a personal and professional level. I understand the challenges, and I ask for your continued patience in the days to come as we combine this collection of great assets to create the world's premier entertainment company.

Bob