Google gaming thingamajig reveal

JosephManderley

5 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

...did people really hate the Playstation when it was revealed?  I don't recall that at all.

It was. Same with the Xbox. "What does Sony know about gaming?" "What does Microsoft know about gaming?" If you weren't Nintendo or Sega, you were viewed as some corporate outsider trying to muscle in with some gimmick bullshit. Newcomers in this industry have always been met with derision and cynicism, for fair enough reason, of course, but there it is.

As a frequent PS4 user, many here may be surprised to know that I dismissed the fuck out of Sony at first. :p 

My brother and I would see a Playstation commercial and roll our eyes. We were way more impressed with the Saturn, basically because we liked the Genesis, not because the library was more impressive. We only had, like, 5 or 6 games on the Saturn, anyway.

54 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Streaming Assassins Creed Odyssey ran freaking flawless for me so I'm definitely interested to see what they have going on. 

Flawless is too strong of a word, IMO. 

From a hardwired connection, it ran ... consistent.  The input lag, while noticeable, felt consistent.  The framerate was consistent (@ 30fps).  The resolution and clarity, perhaps trading blows with the XBO version of Odyssey, felt consistent.

I'm mostly curious about what major players will be jumping into Google's laps, as opposed to building their own PC/mobile streaming services or siding with Games Pass.  Beyond that, I don't have interest if its positioned as a streaming platform.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Even if it looks good most people will hate it just like when Sony first entered and then MS. 

It’ll likely be streaming stuff and I don’t think we’re ready to transition to that yet. 

From what I'm reading, it's, at a minimum, a streaming box. Ars Technica seems pretty confident it's a piece of hardware at the least.

If it's a totally new console, that'd be huge, but it would be timely considering Nintendo released one two years ago and Sony/Microsoft will likely release one next year.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

From what I'm reading, it's, at a minimum, a streaming box. Ars Technica seems pretty confident it's a piece of hardware at the least.

If it's a totally new console, that'd be huge, but it would be timely considering Nintendo released one two years ago and Sony/Microsoft will likely release one next year. 

There's empty glass cases on the GDC show floor people are speculating are for hardware.  Though they could just stick a controller in it.

Here's some more speculation from The Verge:

Osterloh oversees Pixel phones, Google Home devices, and the myriad other hardware products the search giant now produces in-house. Whether that means we’re getting a Pixel-branded cloud gaming console or something else entirely is unclear. But it’s interesting nonetheless to see Osterloh involved in some way. Kotaku’s Jason Schreier, who corroborated many of the initial details about Google’s upcoming service last summer, also reported that hardware will be one of three big components to the service, the other two being streaming and a massive in-house developer division that sounds very much like what Raymond could be involved in.

Because Osterloh is involved, the idea is that hardware is also involved.

This is what the cases look like (ignore the commentary lol):

Just for fun, a "text leak" of stuff in the presentation that hasn't been confirmed by anybody:

- The service is called "google stream", the hardware is called "google streamcast"
- The hardware is a controller and a box with gigabit ethernet port and HDMI 2.1.
- Above 60fps supported on capable displays.
- No powerbrick, designed for portability
- Also a smart TV app coming with support, PC support through Chrome browser and a dedicated app as well as smartphones.
- Certain games can be downloaded and run locally on PC, developer discretion for this one.

Software list:
-Jet Set Revolution (Exclusive)
-Persona 5
-Doom Eternal
-Every ubisoft game from this generation is coming, montage video.
-Watchdogs 3
-Avengers
-Teaser for a project lead by Amy Hennig (Futuristic uncharted) (Exclusive)
-Final Fantasy montage (7,8,9,10,12,13 trilogy and 15)
-Final Fantasy VII short teaser ending with a "Come see us at E3"

The joke is that it's fake because FF8.

What I expect:

1)  Announcement of a Google Streaming Service, that can be played on a PC, phone or through a dedicated (very inexpensive) console

2)  Announcement of availability of current PC games from numerous publishers (Ubi, Square-Enix, Capcom, etc.)

3)  Announcement of pricing, I expect there to be a MS Gamepass level of games included with a monthly fee, plus "premium" games

4)  They will bandy about how well the streaming was received during their Beta last fall

The streaming is an option is good as an "entry" tier if you have "very" good internet, however:

1) Latency is noticeably worse than when playing local (Certainly VERY playable, but I still noticed it)

2) Won't support VRR

3)  Limited framerate/resolution to reduce bandwidth

4)  Will recommend hardwired connections (I had problems with my AT&T router over Wi-Fi)

5)  May be constrained if you have other people on the connection gaming/streaming video

6)  My internet connection seems to hitch a few times per hour, resulting in noticeable macro-blocking (this isn't noticeable during video streaming because of the buffer).

If you're the kind of gamer who is in to 4k HDR, and competitive shooters/fighting games -- this may not be the best option for you.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Let's do this! I may not care about the product in question, but I love me some hype! :sun: And who knows, maybe they will surprise me! 

I don't think it will appeal to you.  (Given the amount you've given to NVidia, I think you place great importance on graphical fidelity).

However, there is probably a market for a "cheap" alternative, where fidelity is less of a priority...  :)

(Or I could be wrong, and they have a 30 TFLOP monster being announced...)

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I don't think it will appeal to you.  (Given the amount you've given to NVidia, I think you place great importance on graphical fidelity).

However, there is probably a market for a "cheap" alternative, where fidelity is less of a priority...  :)

(Or I could be wrong, and they have a 30 TFLOP monster being announced...)

Indeed, you see it as I see it. I'm all for companies trying to leverage streaming to make gaming, at some reasonable level of fidelity accessible to the most amount of people. for a reasonable price. I just know I'm unlikely to be their target audience. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As someone who went against the grain with gaming consoles, (I had an NES, Genesis then a Jaguar!) I was perfectly ok with getting a Playstation. I got one and Lemmings 3D with one of those huge jewel cases. :p

Once the PS hit stores and people saw stuff like Tekken running on it, I mean I didn’t take long to win people over. That and the abysmal library of the N64 and Saturn. 

But yeah the gut reaction at first was like GTF outta here and make the Walkman.

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Once the PS hit stores and people saw stuff like Tekken running on it, I mean I didn’t take long to win people over. That and the abysmal library of the N64 and Saturn. 

But yeah the gut reaction at first was like GTF outta here and make the Walkman.

You're gaming crowd must have been very different than mine,  We saw Ridge Racer running on an imported Japanese PSX and all pre-ordered it.