Games Workshop announces Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team (low unit count skirmish standalone)

50 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

As someone who's never played but is interested, what's the draw & gameplay like? And what's a good starting spot?

In the game, players assemble and paint individual 28-millimetre (1.1 in) scale miniature figures that represent futuristic soldiers, monsters and armoured fighting vehicles. These figurines are collected to constitute squads or units in armies that can be pitted against those of other players. Each player brings a roughly equal complement of units to a tabletop battlefield with handmade or purchased terrain. The players then decide upon a scenario, ranging from simple skirmishes to complex battles involving defended objectives and reinforcements. The models are physically moved around the table and the actual distance between models plays a role in the outcome of combat. Play is turn-based, with various outcomes determined by tables and the roll of dice. Battles may last anywhere from a half-hour to a whole weekend, and battles may be strung together to form campaigns. Many game and hobby stores host games, and official gaming events are held on a regular basis.

This new Kill Team concept really does appear to the an ideal starting point for new players.

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

As someone who's never played but is interested, what's the draw & gameplay like? And what's a good starting spot?

Well as someone who plays 40k, I would say Games Workshop believes it's the modeling.  They push that a lot when you go to their store.  The game to them seems to be secondary still but not as much as it used to.  They made some big strides focusing more on the game.

For something like this, Kill Team is pretty new and the rules aren't anything like 40k regular is but they use the same models.  If anything, it probably plays something more like Shadow War from last year, but even then different from that.  For this, it will probably not take any vehicles so probably something like a Start Collecting box is a good way to get a decent start, though that will depend on the army.  You will mostly be buying infantry so Start Collecting boxes with vehicles won't be a good purchase, but even then depending on how this turns out, you can probably start with a just a box of soldiers of some sort.  Like for example, this box would give you 5 regular soldiers and an HQ.  But I wouldn't recommend Harlequins as a first force because they are one of the most difficult to paint if you are trying for their diamond patterns.

As for why I play 40k, for one it's social so you are playing with another person in front of you.  It's also a strategic game, though 40k is more a lot in list building not so much the strategy during the game, but your moves on the board is still important.  There is also the boards you play on are pretty complicated and fun to look at.  I'll link this video of a game played between the Space Wolves (special Space Marine force) vs Thousand Sons (a special Chaos Space Marine force) to demonstrate how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW3MjQQerZY

5 hours ago, Slug said:

Wait, so I can play 40k but not have to spend $800 on minis to start a competitive army?  This, I can get behind.

Well I would say you can play regular 40k without spending so much on a large army.  You don't need to have 2,000 points army just right off the bat.  Even then, competitive is relative.  If you are competing in big tourneys, then yeah $800 is nothing anyway.  To play at a local store, you can get a decent force that you can work on for a while only spending on things when you need them.  

That said, this is not even close to regular 40k.  The rules are not the same as they are for 8th edition.  This is something that is similar other games that is using 40k background.  It's also hard to say how it will play.  Right now if I had to suggest a competitive miniatures game without spending a lot of money, Malifaux and Infinity are two pretty good games that don't require a lot to play with a decent size force and be competitive.  In fact, I'm excited to get some Infinity models myself after trying it at Origins as the game is a lot more reactionary and guns work where would think with accuracy penalties or bonuses due to length.  But, Kill Team is a good jumping on point especially if you want to slowly build a force that would get you to a point to get into 40k regularly.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DemonEyesJason said:

So based one what I'm seeing so far, they are mostly sticking around plastic kits.  For Drukhari, the faction I'm looking at, it's mostly Kabalites and Wyches which a box of 10 for each is $29 so that will give you an idea of what you may expect depending on the faction. 

God I hate the new names. (Dark Eldar and Eldar player)

Yeah I seen that price sheet last week. 

I can't say I'd recommend getting the core set unless you have someone wanting to get into it with you.  The main reason it has Skittari and Genestealer Cult as the two factions.  Both aren't good to build into a full force around if you ever want to get into main 40k.  But you can probably get it for $110 online at places like Miniature Market and it does have everything you need to play as terrain isn't something that comes cheap and they look to include a lot for the set.  Though if you are crafty you can make it out of foam board too.  

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my book on Saturday and flipped through it though I haven't had time to play.  At most it looks like you'll playing with anything from 5-10 models based on the different factions I've seen and the weapons they can have.  It seemed to be a hit with the people that play 40k at regular size, but I was with family and not able to play myself yet.  Hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Also after watching the video, I highly recommend some of boxes he talks about in there, that if you have any interest of going possibly farther, to check out the Start Collecting box for some of the ones he mentions.  Two that comes off the top of my head is Drukhari and Tyranids.  Both of the ones he recommends in the video are also a part of a SC box that you will pay more, but get a lot more value if you like that.  Though, that's if you want to spend another $40-$50 to get that extra value.  It may be better to just stick with what he recommends if you aren't sure as you can always get more later.  Like for the two factions I named, you're going to always need some more Wyches and Genestealers for a bigger army.  I think I have at least a few Drukhari SC boxes I bought like 2 of the new and 2 of the old to supplement the force I'm building.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, gamer.tv said:

Would love to play, but I don't know if I'm willing to meet that side of humanity at my local Games Workshop. 

I hate to geek shame, but miniatures gamers can be some of the more...interesting..individuals in our community. :P

I don’t know that miniature gamers are meaningfully different than enthusiasts in other hobbies. You’ll get your weirdos and your socially awkwards and your hyper competitive people... bit there are a lot of rad people too. If you’re in a city or a place with a large enough scene there’s usually good people to play with. 

• 1 month later...

At the local shop they are doing a progression league.  So I am making up a DeathWatch squad.  Have my figures and in the process of painting them.  Did a little kit bashing as well (Primaris Marines with DeathWatch gear and weapons)

sqtnN3ldX0kq-HbuibdU1Je0lk69-cGLh9Jo2tI3

Also picked up some Reivers

6BSLjJn2Q6UrHOuHu9qBY6AO6SyCpgFzJLvxEV2m