"The Heretic" - Unity real-time cinematic running at 30 fps/1440p on a "consumer-class" desktop PC

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They’re fun when you can download them (for free) and run them on your own computer. But, yea, videos of tech demos are generally pretty lame.

Yeah if you can download them then it's a lot more interesting, at least for a day or so while everyone compares performance. This video literally means nothing, though. We see bullshots and bullshit all the time in this industry. Put out the demo or go home!

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah if you can download them then it's a lot more interesting, at least for a day or so while everyone compares performance. This video literally means nothing, though. We see bullshots and bullshit all the time in this industry. Put out the demo or go home!

I wish nVidia still released their tech demos for download. They stopped after Maxwell (9xx) series for some reason.

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos

You guys should bear in mind that these are not performance demos for you :p These are demos largely to show what the tooling affords for developers.

I mean, if they release it for everyone to download, that's great, but it's not the primary motivation of these demos.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

You guys should bear in mind that these are not performance demos for you :p These are demos largely to show what the tooling affords for developers.

I mean, if they release it for everyone to download, that's great, but it's not the primary motivation of these demos.

Yeah and they're still bullshit and I'm still seeing it so I'm happy to call it bullshit!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah and they're still bullshit and I'm still seeing it so I'm happy to call it bullshit!

:lol: No dude you're just plain wrong. Having a tech demo executable average joes can run on their system is not  nearly as important as you think it is. Go watch the actual keynote where they dive into the tooling process for generating the graphics:

This is a demo for developers, not you. This shouldn't even be that surprising because it's the game developers conference. If they release it as an executable for us all to run, that's cool, but it's not bullshit if they don't.

2 hours ago, legend said:

None of those downloadable tech demos I linked are performance demos or benchmarks. They are/were to show off the new tech within the newly launched card when it’s taken to its limits. You were lucky to get 25fps on any of those with whatever the flagship was at the time. They were meant to be graphical showpieces of what the future held, nothing more.

I’m fully aware that this demo is meant to showcase what’s possible to both gamers and devs (primarily devs). I just like when these things are given out to run and play with so we can see it on our monitors in real time is all. :p 

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

None of those downloadable tech demos I linked are performance demos or benchmarks. They are/were to show off the new tech within the newly launched card when it’s taken to its limits. You were lucky to get 25fps on any of those with whatever the flagship was at the time. They were meant to be graphical showpieces of what the future held, nothing more.

I’m fully aware that this demo is meant to showcase what’s possible to both gamers and devs (primarily devs). I just like when these things are given out to run and play with so we can see it on our monitors in real time is all. :p 

Yeah I was't commenting on the other tech demos you linked, just what the goals are in this case and how it makes a point for their target audience (coupled with the rest of of the walk through) as it is.

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't object if they released something we can run ourselves. I like playing with toys too :)