I've never done jury duty before

SaysWho?

I'm in the jury selection process right now, just waiting. It's actually more convenient than I would have thought. I'm at a desk with outlets for my laptop and kindle, and if I'm going to be here for hours, at least I can entertain myself here.

The only thing I neglected to bring was a pair of headphones for my laptop. Otherwise, I guess I'm set?

Have you been called for jury duty?

18 minutes ago, Jose said:

Go on.....

It’s not super interesting.

During the prep they go over just fury being a potential inconvenience based on your work schedule. They use two terms in Mass., though I forget what they are now... one is basically an inconvenience, the other is an incompatibility. The state’s take is that if it’s inconvenient, you should serve on a jury, if it’s incompatible with your schedule, you should reschedule / be considered a less ideal candidate.

The trial would have been for either rape / sexual assault, I can’t remember. I got called up to be interviewed by the judge and attorneys. They asked if I knew anyone who had been sexual assaulted or raped, and I said “yes, I know a few people who have been.” The judge suggested that it was unlikely I knew more than one person who had either of those happen to them, I said that I didn’t know many people who could honestly say they knew one person / no people who had gone through that. She asked me for an example of who I knew who had been, I said I didn’t think that was relevant since I felt I could be impartial. Judge then asked if I could be on a jury for the next few days, I said it would be inconvenient, but not incompatible with my schedule (I used the right terms at the time even though I know I’m getting them wrong now). She went off about how I should have said that earlier and rescheduled or been dismissed, and I said that was contrary to the video we all watched. She got pissed then and said because my sister had been raped and that I was self employed, that she was going to dismiss me. I told her I wasn’t self employed and that I didn’t have a sister and she told me to get out of her courtroom, so I left.

I was disappointed that the judge clearly couldn’t be bothered to give a fuck about what was happening, and as jury selection was going on, every person of color was dismissed immediately (the defendant was black)... it was a weird experience.

I've been called for jury duty several times, but I've never even made it out of the waiting room to voire dire.  So jury duty for me is sitting in a room with a bunch of other randos while reading my book or playing my DS, then going to lunch, coming back, relaxing some more, then being told I can go home.  I love jury duty. :D

19 minutes ago, Slug said:

I've been called for jury duty several times, but I've never even made it out of the waiting room to voire dire.  So jury duty for me is sitting in a room with a bunch of other randos while reading my book or playing my DS, then going to lunch, coming back, relaxing some more, then being told I can go home.  I love jury duty. :D

I can now officially say that I may have beaten that. One group was called in, and all but 20 of us left. So I'm already going home

I went but was never called.  It's right downtown (Toronto) by the giant mall and city hall and it was late spring.  There was always events going on at the city hall park and also really nice parks right by the courthouse.  I shopped at the mall, saw some shows at city hall, laid down and napped under a tree.  Because they were going through group A and B but not C (me!!!) they would tell us to just go home at around 2PM.  While I was actually in the court I read D1P and shopped online.

IT WAS THE BEST DAMN 3 DAYS OF MY LIFE 

I made it on a Jury last year. I actually made it to the second day but I had to tell them that I would get like no sleep because I'd come to the courthouse right after work and then I'd be up till 5PM and then I have to start work at 10pm so yeah, that would suck.

I got like 21 bucks out of it, most of it was for the gas mileage.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

Camden doe......ugh. 

I got called once over a decade ago, and it was terribly boring. I got called near the middle of the third day, so by the time I even got called the jury was selected and they just needed the alternates. This was back when Blackberry's were smart phones, but they weren't letting you fiddle around on your phone or laptop all day. You just had to sit there bored out of your ever loving mind. The guy was allegedly in a gang, so it was just an endless litany of people claiming they were either related to law enforcement or someone that had been a victim of gang violence so they could get excused for bias. I ended up being excused. I didn't try to make anything up to get out of it. 

Also, one girl was an hour late the second day, and they delayed everything until she showed up. They did let us all go hang out outside and you could have been on your phone or whatever, but again this before everyone had some sort of iphone or equivalent. That girl ended up being selected, I'm assuming as some sort of punishment. So I don't know if things have changed with this modern world or CA just doesn't let you have any fun but it sucked for me. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

I hear the aquarium is nice. 

It actually is.  I used to take my kids there all the time when they were young, and we take my niece there now.  They have an awesome all glass tunnel through the shark tank!

3 minutes ago, Slug said:

It actually is.  I used to take my kids there all the time when they were young, and we take my niece there now.  They have an awesome all glass tunnel through the shark tank!

Yeah I definitely need to check that out.

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve been called twice. Never made it out of the holding area. I think it would be very interesting to be part of a jury. Especially on a high profile case that lasts for months. 

It feels a lot like you’re getting drafted. The first day they ask you a bunch of questions to narrow down the pool and the next day they narrow it down even more. They really want to form a team that won’t let them lose. :p 

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It feels a lot like you’re getting drafted. The first day they ask you a bunch of questions to narrow down the pool and the next day they narrow it down even more. They really want to form a team that won’t let them lose. :p 

Yeah once I answer their questions honestly they are like C-ya. 

I never have been because I had no idea I was US Citizen since 1995 so everytime I got the form in the mail, I responded with not US Citizen. Then in 2006 I found out I am US citizen (while waiting to test to get my citizenship :lol:). So they gave up on me long ago.

8 hours ago, Triage said:

I never have been because I had no idea I was US Citizen since 1995 so everytime I got the form in the mail, I responded with not US Citizen. Then in 2006 I found out I am US citizen (while waiting to test to get my citizenship :lol:). So they gave up on me long ago.

pun facepalm GIF

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

pun facepalm GIF

I'm serious (sadly). I was adopted and I had no idea since I was adopted by US citizens that somehow that was done part of the process. I even have a birth certificate from Springfield IL. Thought I have to go through process like eneryone else. The day I went to test they told me no need I'm citizen and I did NOT get my $400 back 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:47 AM, Triage said:

I'm serious (sadly). I was adopted and I had no idea since I was adopted by US citizens that somehow that was done part of the process. I even have a birth certificate from Springfield IL. Thought I have to go through process like eneryone else. The day I went to test they told me no need I'm citizen and I did NOT get my $400 back 

Bummer about the $400, but that must have been a pleasant surprise. :lol: