Baba is You makes me feel stupid and I love it...

Ghost_MH

I can't be the only one playing a Baba is You, right? Game has a weak 87 on Open Critic because nobody seems to have played it long enough to review. It's available on Steam and the Switch eShop.

As much as I like it, this game has a habit of making me feel really stupid. Puzzles seem impossible and then they just click and I feel like an idiot for not seeing the solution sooner.

This game is fucking fantastic. I eyeballed it a little when it first launch and saw it was getting decent reviews, but wasn't sure, there's a lot of games that kind of look like Baba, and for $15 it was a bit steep to try blindly, but this thread and reviews had only been getting me more interested, so I picked it up.

If you need to know what separates it from other games, well, game objects are defined by word blocks on the screen, so it creates a really amazing puzzle atmosphere where you're only limited by your own creativity and curiosity most of the time.

Some super light spoilers (like, things you figure out in the first 10 seconds but for me that was a big moment of "oh shit this is gonna be good"):

Spoiler

There'll be blocks that at first just look like on-screen text. [BABA] [IS] [YOU], [WALL] [IS] [STOP], etc. You can push those word blocks around. If nothing is connected to "is you," you lose control and have to rewind or restart, as nothing is you. If you break up WALL IS STOP, you can go through walls, if you do WALL IS YOU, you become every wall block on the screen. The word and object list seems to be continually expanding, but at a reasonable and manageable rate, and it's fucking great.

I figure this stuff is probably talked about on the store page and many reviews so I'm sure if you looked at any media at all you'll already know, but I avoided it all except screenshots, which didn't tell me anything.

• 4 weeks later...

I just came here to complain that I’m too stupid for this game, that I was barely a dozen puzzles in and already hopelessly stuck, then something clicked and I was able to solve it immediately. 

Edit: and now I’m stuck again. Coming back here to see if something clicks...

Nope. Game is impossible and anyone who says they’re farther than I am is a liar.

9 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I just came here to complain that I’m too stupid for this game, that I was barely a dozen puzzles in and already hopelessly stuck, then something clicked and I was able to solve it immediately. 

Edit: and now I’m stuck again. Coming back here to see if something clicks...

Nope. Game is impossible and anyone who says they’re farther than I am is a liar.

Nope. That's exactly how this game works. I sometimes get hopeless stuck and have to back off for a few days. I return and things click and I'm able to get through stages before it happens again and the cycle repeats itself.

It's brilliant.

I'm fairly far through it playing it off and on, and I think largely it's pretty great. The only thing that bugs me is some of the physics don't seem like they should work a certain way, but that way they work that way is critical for a puzzle.

One example of that is what constitutes a single step of rule resolution. For some things, a rule's effect is fired, and in firing it will cause a new  rule to be true which the game will resolve instantly in that same step. Consequently, you take one action and something from two causal steps away will occur in that single action. That doesn't seem like the right casual factoring to me, but that seems to be how it works (for at least some things).

Same kind of goes with how/when gravity is resolved. (Yes, there is gravity in the game if you haven't reached it yet.)

I'm also probably heavily biased against certain choices because I spend a lot of my professional time modeling discrete time interactions and so I'm rather opinionated about how those should work :p