New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

24 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Less than one percent of hunters are sport hunters, so again, you have no point.

I don’t think his point was about the statistical representation of sport hunting, but that it’s mere existence, and your defense of it, are moral failures.

29 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Buying meat causes far more suffering than hunting, so I’m not sure how you can loathe hunting but be fine with buying meat.

Not necessarily. My wife is part of a local co-op that raises various animals for consumption and uses human practices in raising and slaughtering. If you’re just buying the mass produced meat at Walmart, sure.

28 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Less than one percent of hunters are sport hunters, so again, you have no point.

Assuming you are correct (which I find dubious), what does that matter? Most guns aren’t fired at human beings, but it is still a moral failing to murder somebody.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not necessarily. My wife is part of a local co-op that raises various animals for consumption and uses human practices in raising and slaughtering. If you’re just buying the mass produced meat at Walmart, sure.

Assuming you are correct (which I find dubious), what does that matter? Most guns aren’t fired at human beings, but it is still a moral failing to murder somebody.

90% of people are buying their meat at grocery stores and you know it.

again, there is no moral failing in killing to eat. It’s how we’ve survived most of our history. Unless you are actual vegan, you have no argument against hunting. 

Do do you think that your wife’s coop kills more humanely than hunting? Most animals live seconds at the very most, and it’s the best death they could hope for out in the wild.

I have cattle too. Mines a hobby ranch. They live great lives. Fencing animals to kill is still less ethical than hunting.

14 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I don’t think his point was about the statistical representation of sport hunting, but that it’s mere existence, and your defense of it, are moral failures.

Because it rarely happens. The USA has wanton waste laws. It’s illegal not to use the meat of game animals in EVERY state, and the fines are huge. 

The idea that that trophy hunters leave meat behind is ridiculous. And also, killing old, trophy animals is the best thing you can do for the herd.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Because it rarely happens. The USA has wanton waste laws. It’s illegal not to use the meat of game animals in EVERY state, and the fines are huge. 

The idea that that trophy hunters leave meat behind is ridiculous. And also, killing old, trophy animals is the best thing you can do for the herd.

Think about why the Gubermint makes hunters use the product of the kill ;)

My buddies who go hunting don’t spend ridiculous sums of money renting deer leases, getting licenses, and acquiring equipment for the goal of procuring meat. This is Texas, you cant walk 20 feet without running into some deer sausage!

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

again, there is no moral failing in killing to eat. It’s how we’ve survived most of our history. Unless you are actual vegan, you have no argument against hunting. 

I'm a vegan and I'd probably eat meat that was hunted and used efficiently. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Nourishment isn’t pointless. And hunting isn’t pointless either, it is taking enjoyment at the act of killing an animal. You could raise Elk and humanely kill them if your goal was nourishment.

No one here is advocating for sport hunting. We eat what we kill and hunting is humane. It's.more humane than the animal products you buy at the store. 

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

No one here is advocating for sport hunting. We eat what we kill and hunting is humane. It's.more humane than the animal products you buy at the store. 

You don’t go hunting simply to get meat, you’ve described yourself the thrill of hunting. The notion that hunting in developed nations is not primarily driven by the sport of it is obviously false. Enjoying the fruits of that labor in the products of the kill doesn’t diminish that truth.

Killing an an animal for entertainment is a moral failing, even if you cook it’s delicious body for dinner.

24 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I'm fine with protecting hunting.

I'm not fine with using "protect hunting," as an excuse to avoid regulations of things that are not at all essential to hunting.

Silencers are definitely essential to hunting, sir.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You don’t go hunting simply to get meat, you’ve described yourself the thrill of hunting. The notion that hunting in developed nations is not primarily driven by the sport of it is obviously false. Enjoying the fruits of that labor in the products of the kill doesn’t diminish that truth.

Killing an an animal for entertainment is a moral failing, even if you cook it’s delicious body for dinner.

You really just come off as self-righteous here. You eat meat. No matter how you procure it, you don't have the moral high ground over hunters who eat their kill. I don't think I've ever described any thrill is watching an animal die. I enjoy being out in nature and I enjoy filling my freezer with meat I took humanely.  I may not *need* to hunt but it's something I enjoy and it's a way I can humanely procure my food. 

I don't even know why you're having this discussion other than I guess to put yourself on a higher pedestal. At least that's how it comes off. Especially when you say "You could raise Elk and humanely kill them if your goal was nourishment." As if hunting isn't humane. As if all of us can just set up an elk farm or whatever, lol. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You really just come off as self-righteous here. You eat meat. No matter how you procure it, you don't have the moral high ground over hunters who eat their kill. I don't think I've ever described any thrill is watching an animal die. I enjoy being out in nature and I enjoy filling my freezer with meat I took humanely.  I may not *need* to hunt but it's something I enjoy and it's a way I can humanely procure my food. 

I don't even know why you're having this discussion other than I guess to put yourself on a higher pedestal. At least that's how it comes off. Especially when you say "You could raise Elk and humanely kill them if your goal was nourishment." As if hunting isn't humane. As if all of us can just set up an elk farm or whatever, lol. 

Do you disagree that killing animals for entertainment is a moral failing?

Just now, sblfilms said:

Do you disagree that killing animals for entertainment is a moral failing?

If your goal is purely entertainment, yes. That's why I don't trophy hunt. That's why I'll never go to Africa and shoot an elephant or rhino. That's why, when I was hunting one morning and a bobcat strolled in front of my stand, I just sat back and enjoyed watching it and chose not to shoot it, though I could have. 

I and most hunters enjoy the overall experience. Being in nature. Doing something the human species has done for thousands of years. Procuring tasty, healthy meat in a humane, ethical fashion, rather than ignoring the tortures of mass farm-raised animals for human consumption. Helping control the overpopulation of deer when they have no natural predators here. 

I have my own moral failings, but the fact I hunt and enjoy the overall experience is not one of them.

I should also note, how we eat meat in America (and most of the world) is a moral failure and our grandkids will think we were monsters for it. 

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

Killing animals for entertainment is different than finding hunting to be enjoyable. For that it really matters what is exactly meant by "hunting."

It’s a good thing I specifically started this ball talking about hunting for sport, and not hunting generically :p

Just now, sblfilms said:

It’s a good thing I specifically started this ball talking about hunting for sport, and not hunting generically :p

Yeah, but you came in and brought up sport hunting when literally no one in this thread has ever advocated for sport hunting. Then you tried some "gotcha" stance that because hunters enjoy hunting, they're immoral. 

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Silencers are definitely essential to hunting, sir.

Acting like suppressors work like in the movies is not a particularly good argument against them considering that, you know, they don't. They keep you from blowing out your eardrums if your hearing protection isn't on. They don't magically make it so people can't hear the gunshots.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Acting like suppressors work like in the movies is not a particularly good argument against them considering that, you know, they don't. They keep you from blowing out your eardrums if your hearing protection isn't on. They don't magically make it so people can't hear the gunshots.

I don’t know what this has to do with my joke about @mclumber1always trying to get silencers legalized under whatever logic he can at the time, but ok.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, but you came in and brought up sport hunting when literally no one in this thread has ever advocated for sport hunting. Then you tried some "gotcha" stance that because hunters enjoy hunting, they're immoral. 

You read that into it. If you don’t hunt for sport, if you don’t kill animals for entertainment, I’m not talking about you so maybe just let it go.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

You read that into it. If you don’t hunt for sport, if you don’t kill animals for entertainment, I’m not talking about you so maybe just let it go.

I read your words, nothing more. No one here indicated they were sport hunters. I don't know of anyone on this forum who is a sport hunter. 

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This response was aimed directly at me.

But I am gonna move on, because I have to get ready for work. Ain't got the time to continue right now.

I couldn’t care less about hunting, and if it’s a compromise for gun regulation, I couldn’t care less how cruel it is. You want shove a bayonet up a porcupines ass? Be my guest.

Single shot rifles, shotguns, and mags of no larger than 5-8 rounds.

My take on it is I just no longer care anymore. Nothing will change here in the states, why bother.

If someone wants to go hunting their fellow man and bag their limit, have at it. The only illegal part is the death they caused, and for many they just take their own life anyway so that isn't a deterrent. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

In the history of D1P shitty threads, this doesn't even come close to registering, tbh. 

I don’t think it’s even close to the top 10 worst of the month on the CEB. @Boyle5150 and @SaysWho?by themselves have like 5 in March alone.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, don't try to put it down with a bullet or we'll have to debate for ten more pages over whether we should use a hunting rifle or an AR-15.

To take down a rogue D1P thread,one needs something bigger than either of those

EmbarrassedBarrenAxisdeer-size_restricte

• Haha 1

To clarify, at the end of the day where I'm coming from is this:  I think it's possible to enjoy exploring the natural world without any plans/intent of taking on the added risk of bringing weapons for the purpose of shooting animals for sport, and having the opinion that this is preferable to spending outdoors time via hunting is neither wrong, nor as weird as wanting to let children shoot guns.

15 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

You are wrong. Teaching kids responsible gun ownership and hunting skills is one of the best things you can teach them. My son has been target shooting for 5 years. He can bugle for elk, he can shoot effectively, ride horse, he loves the outdoors. Why would any of that be bad? Why is a 400 year old tradition suddenly bad? It’s not.

how many shootings do you see by children of hunters, or hunters themselves? Hardly any, they all happen in cities. It’s not country kids hunting who are killing people. It’s the depressed, angry, city kids struggling to live in these ridiculous environments we’ve created that are shooting people, purposely and accidentally. 

My son knows he can’t use a gun without me. So what are all these horrible things that could happen? Name one? He has a great time and brings home elk? Maybe a sheep or mulie? You are saying all these things can go wrong, but there isn’t.

This is a bad argument.  It only takes a five minute google search to prove there are several hunting accidents, sometimes involving children, that happen, and your "only the city types are the sociopathic shooters" reasoning has no backing at all.  There are multiple incidents of people living in/coming from rural areas killing people via guns, intentional or otherwise, and it's pretty dumb to deny that.

I get how there can be a thrill in hunting game and that it can be a bonding experience with friends and family, but saying there isn't an element of risk to the lives of humans while using boomsticks is just false, buddy.  It's your hobby and a tradition, possibly a food source, and if you want to ignore there's an inherent danger/risk involved in using any using tools designed for violence you have the freedom to take that stance, but it's just a weird hill to want to die on and not a very logical statement to make. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think it’s even close to the top 10 worst of the month on the CEB. @Boyle5150 and @SaysWho?by themselves have like 5 in March alone.

Nah, there was just the 1 (the others I bailed way quicker), which was excellent, entertaining, and gave something for you to masturbate to while counting your theater bills.

You should say Thank You. :talkhand: