New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

9 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Except that not one of these people who are giving up their guns were going to commit a gun crime anyway, so it’s a useless gesture.

The problem is mental health and illegal weapons in the hands of criminals. My AR-15 is no more threat to you than my bolt action rifles are. 

FFS, I’m glad we have a 2nd, so every tragedy can’t be used as a political tool to disarm law abiding citizens. 

Lets enforce proper storage, and allow psychiatric doctors to suspend gun rights of the mentally ill. Let’s prosecute owners who don’t store their weapons in a way their children can’t get at them. Let’s improve background checks.

Those things work. But taking the guns of law abiding citizens will change nothing.

9 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Most of that is worthless. I don’t have guns solely for the purpose of self defence.  And yes, I like guns. Like target shooting, hunting, I never once bought a gun with the intention of shooting a person. 

My my son is 12, he can finally hunt big game here. I also love spending time with him outdoors. Hunting, fishing and camping. It’s an important part of my states culture, my towns traditions, and my families best memories.

Just now, TheGreatGamble said:

Most of that is worthless. I don’t have guns solely for the purpose of self defence.  And yes, I like guns. Like target shooting, hunting, I never once bought a gun with the intention of shooting a person. 

My my son is 12, he can finally hunt big game here. I also love spending time with him outdoors. Hunting, fishing and camping. It’s an important part of my states culture, my towns traditions, and my families best memories.

That stuff all exists in Canada. Even without using an AR15 for hunting. In fact there’s a lot of Americans who come up here to hunt game. But they can’t use AR15’s. 

6 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

That stuff all exists in Canada. Even without using an AR15 for hunting. In fact there’s a lot of Americans who come up here to hunt game. But they can’t use AR15’s. 

Except you have some false idea about the AR-15 and Canada (I just checked, I was reading after someone mentioned Canada gun laws were better). I’m assuming you can’t have an AR-15 because it can be broken down and concealed (I don’t know), because you have a ton of high capacity, one piece, semi-automatic long guns that are totally acceptable for hunting. You also have semi-auto pistols. So yes, you can’t have an AR, but you can have any of a hundred other platforms that can do the exact same thing.

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There's no legit reason except laziness for needing semi-auto, multi-round firearms for hunting. Use a bolt-action if you want to kill an animal. Or a bow if you want to use real skill.

Also, have you ever killed an animal with a gun or a bow? Don’t try to be smart about topics you know nothing about. The most ethical consideration in killing an animal is efficacy. And a gun is always more efficient. I hunt with bow too. And I know a lot of bow hunters. Alot more wounded animals escape from bow hunters than rifle hunters.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I was using your defense of guns to show how people have defended other mistakes from the past, duuuuude.

Here’s the problem about the AR15.

We don’t trust you. It’s not about that gun specifically, it’s about what will the government try to take from us next? Pistols? Long guns? Death by a thousand cuts, that’s why we fight so diligently against restricting legal gun owners. We don’t trust the government not to take a mile. Especially a liberal government looking to appease their base.

the only good thing trump has done is pack the courts with men who will vote to protect our rights.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

We don’t trust you. It’s not about that gun specifically, it’s about what will the government try to take from us next? Pistols? Long guns? Death by a thousand cuts, that’s why we fight so diligently against restricting legal gun owners. We don’t trust the government not to take a mile. Especially a liberal government looking to appease their base.

the only good thing trump has done is pack the courts with men who will vote to protect our rights.

There is so much here to unpack, I don’t even know where to begin.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I'd be generally fine if guns were just banned, but ideally, hunting rifles(bolt action 5-ish round cap), shotguns, and low capacity handguns(8 round magazine) would be available at a consumer level.

25 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Just like all those that fought so diligently to protect their right to own slaves.

38 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Unlike that Obama, who said we should take their guns and worry about due process later...

...oh wait, that was Trump.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Except you have some false idea about the AR-15 and Canada (I just checked, I was reading after someone mentioned Canada gun laws were better). I’m assuming you can’t have an AR-15 because it can be broken down and concealed (I don’t know), because you have a ton of high capacity, one piece, semi-automatic long guns that are totally acceptable for hunting. You also have semi-auto pistols. So yes, you can’t have an AR, but you can have any of a hundred other platforms that can do the exact same thing.

You also can’t use pistols for hunting in Canada. 

Also, have you ever killed an animal with a gun or a bow? Don’t try to be smart about topics you know nothing about. The most ethical consideration in killing an animal is efficacy. And a gun is always more efficient. I hunt with bow too. And I know a lot of bow hunters. Alot more wounded animals escape from bow hunters than rifle hunters.

Bolt actions are more reliable and accurate than a semi auto. And in most jurisdictions you can’t use high capacity magazines for hunting anyway.

9 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

You also can’t use pistols for hunting in Canada. 

You can own them though.  They aren't illegal.  You'd have to get a restricted PAL from what I understand though.

As far as AR-15's,  Gamble is more or less on correct by pointing out that there are semi-auto firearms that are equivalent to the AR-15 that are completely legal and easily accessible in Canada. You are limited to a 5 round magazine, but the magazines are often just pinned versions of larger capacity magazines which are easily (but illegally) modifiable to accept 10 rounds or more.

EDIT:  Here are a selection of rifles you can buy in Canada on a non-restricted (normal) license: https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/rifles/non-restricted

AFAIK, you don't undergo a background check when you buy/transfer guns in Canada.  You show proof that you have a valid PAL, and the transfer takes place.  It's actually less of a hassle at point of sale in Canada than it is in America. 

45 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There's no legit reason except laziness for needing semi-auto, multi-round firearms for hunting. Use a bolt-action if you want to kill an animal. Or a bow if you want to use real skill.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you dont hunt because if you did you would know this statement is crap. AR's are light weight and can be torn down and built back up with ease and are super accurate with little recoil.  Trying to track a pack of coyotes with a bolt action just isnt going to happen , after the first shot your done and they scatter, its not about being lazy its about being efficient. Same applies to bows, a missed shot can mean days have been wasted tracking game because "real skill". A pack of coyotes can tear thru a heard of goats in a few weeks if gone un checked or wild pigs destroying a farm.

With all that said as a gun owner we need stricter laws, way more strict then we have.  Every one of my guns were purchased legally at gun shows, no back round check,no ID shown,paid in cash with no paper trail linking me to the gun.We Americans have shown we are not responsible enough to have unfettered access to fire arms .

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You can own them though.  They aren't illegal.  You'd have to get a restricted PAL from what I understand though.

As far as AR-15's,  Gamble is more or less on correct by pointing out that there are semi-auto firearms that are equivalent to the AR-15 that are completely legal and easily accessible in Canada. You are limited to a 5 round magazine, but the magazines are often just pinned versions of larger capacity magazines which are easily (but illegally) modifiable to accept 10 rounds or more.

EDIT:  Here are a selection of rifles you can buy in Canada on a non-restricted (normal) license: https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/rifles/non-restricted

AFAIK, you don't undergo a background check when you buy/transfer guns in Canada.  You show proof that you have a valid PAL, and the transfer takes place.  It's actually less of a hassle at point of sale in Canada than it is in America. 

It takes the better part of a year to get a PAL though. 

I know that for gun fans, like wine fans or movie fans an endlessly new and wide variety of stuff feels essential to the lifestyle but America can be a country that has a healthy and relatively permissible gun culture that is something less than the free for all we have going on right now.

16 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say you dont hunt because if you did you would know this statement is crap. AR's are light weight and can be torn down and built back up with ease and are super accurate with little recoil.  Trying to track a pack of coyotes with a bolt action just isnt going to happen , after the first shot your done and they scatter, its not about being lazy its about being efficient. Same applies to bows, a missed shot can mean days have been wasted tracking game because "real skill". A pack of coyotes can tear thru a heard of goats in a few weeks if gone un checked or wild pigs destroying a farm.

Thats a scenario that I hadn’t thought of. We don’t really have major problems with coyotes around here. I can see how a semi auto would be beneficial with that. 

First they came for the slaves, and I said nothing. Then they came for the fetuses and the crosses, and I also said nothing. When they came for the guns, it was too late because I had already been aborted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

Thats a scenario that I hadn’t thought of. We don’t really have major problems with coyotes around here. 

We have to deal with it in the mid west, its unfortunate side effect of farming and encroaching in to wild life territory.

8 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I know that for gun fans, like wine fans or movie fans an endlessly new and wide variety of stuff feels essential to the lifestyle but America can be a country that has a healthy and relatively permissible gun culture that is something less than the free for all we have going on right now.

I agree but

It Wont happen ever, gun regulation is the terror in the night that many gun owners fear.