Jump to content
Jason

New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch, New Zealand

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Agreed 

I wouldnt have an issue with out right banning of AR's but for now they do serve as a tool for some people. If people wanna figure out to limit it just a select few I am good with it.

Yep. To be honest, most people I know buy ARs because of "grrr, gotta buy it before the gubmint takes muh guns" or "this is badass and i'm a 'Merican and it's mah right!" Shit like that. My parents are gun nuts and they own a couple, plus some similar styles of semiautos. Yeah, my dad shoots hogs and coyotes and he's used his AR a couple times for it, but honestly, he's the former. Needless to say, I strayed far away from the political path they tried to put me on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep. To be honest, most people I know buy ARs because of "grrr, gotta buy it before the gubmint takes muh guns" or "this is badass and i'm a 'Merican and it's mah right!" Shit like that. My parents are gun nuts and they own a couple, plus some similar styles of semiautos. Yeah, my dad shoots hogs and coyotes and he's used his AR a couple times for it, but honestly, he's the former. Needless to say, I strayed far away from the political path they tried to put me on.

Absolutely , Id wager that 99.9% of AR owners buy them for the same reasons. Its a very strange mind set where most of the world sees a weapon capable of slaughtering people by the dozen but gun nuts just see them as a staple of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey look scientist did science and stuff, turns out it might not be so crazy to control an invasive species by reintroducing a natural predator!  A lot less fun that just shooting stuff though.

 

https://cornerstone.lib.mnsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1212&context=jur

 

Abstract

Invasive species are a problem in the United States. As their populations continue to increase in size they disrupt ecological systems. One of the most notorious invasive species is the feral hog. In Texas, the hog populations cause ecological and agricultural damage that costs the state $52 million annually. The reason for the large continuously growing population is that the feral hogs, unlike its relatives in Europe, have no natural predators and hunters cannot suppress the population growth. In Europe, the gray wolf is a predator to the European wild boar. However, wolves in the U.S. have been extirpated from most of the continental U.S. If gray wolves could be reintroduced into hog habitat, and had similar predation rates as their Europe relatives, could they reduce the feral hog invasion? A theoretical population model was designed in excel where it used life-history information for wolves and feral hogs to simulate their population sizes for 50 years. Three different predation rates were simulated on the feral hog population, and population rates were compared to the control that had no wolf predation. The results showed that medium and high predation rates significantly reduce the hog population. This research is intended to show a natural and sustainable approach to solving the feral hog problem while aiding conservation efforts for the gray wolf. To further this research, the next objectives would be to add a habitat model and perform a field experiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I already said, I'm in favor of reintroduction wolves to former territories. It's like you don't read. 

 

It's gonna take more than one abstract of an article to show the benefits, though. 

 

And even with reintroduction, it's gonna take quite some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hey look scientist did science and stuff, turns out it might not be so crazy to control an invasive species by reintroducing a natural predator!  A lot less fun that just shooting stuff though.

 

https://cornerstone.lib.mnsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1212&context=jur

 

Abstract

Invasive species are a problem in the United States. As their populations continue to increase in size they disrupt ecological systems. One of the most notorious invasive species is the feral hog. In Texas, the hog populations cause ecological and agricultural damage that costs the state $52 million annually. The reason for the large continuously growing population is that the feral hogs, unlike its relatives in Europe, have no natural predators and hunters cannot suppress the population growth. In Europe, the gray wolf is a predator to the European wild boar. However, wolves in the U.S. have been extirpated from most of the continental U.S. If gray wolves could be reintroduced into hog habitat, and had similar predation rates as their Europe relatives, could they reduce the feral hog invasion? A theoretical population model was designed in excel where it used life-history information for wolves and feral hogs to simulate their population sizes for 50 years. Three different predation rates were simulated on the feral hog population, and population rates were compared to the control that had no wolf predation. The results showed that medium and high predation rates significantly reduce the hog population. This research is intended to show a natural and sustainable approach to solving the feral hog problem while aiding conservation efforts for the gray wolf. To further this research, the next objectives would be to add a habitat model and perform a field experiment.

 

First off he ran a simulation 100 times based off information he picked at his discretion but Ill give you credit for these 

 

Ive heard this before but not sure where

 

To address the biggest concerns that the state of Texas would have toward having wolves
be reintroduced is to discuss wolf depredation. Wolves generally are notorious for predating on
livestock, and because of this there is an issue when reintroduction of wolves is proposed into
more of the United States. Due to this issue, conservation efforts for the wolves has become
increasingly more difficult as sociological groups try to halt efforts. 

 

And my favorite part

 Although, to use this research
as evidence that the predator-prey dynamic will work would be foolish as many variables were
assumed based on other geographic locations and different populations

 

Dont use research to back up your argument where said research specifically says "dont use me as evidence"

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hey look scientist did science and stuff, turns out it might not be so crazy to control an invasive species by reintroducing a natural predator!  A lot less fun that just shooting stuff though.

 

https://cornerstone.lib.mnsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1212&context=jur

 

Abstract

Invasive species are a problem in the United States. As their populations continue to increase in size they disrupt ecological systems. One of the most notorious invasive species is the feral hog. In Texas, the hog populations cause ecological and agricultural damage that costs the state $52 million annually. The reason for the large continuously growing population is that the feral hogs, unlike its relatives in Europe, have no natural predators and hunters cannot suppress the population growth. In Europe, the gray wolf is a predator to the European wild boar. However, wolves in the U.S. have been extirpated from most of the continental U.S. If gray wolves could be reintroduced into hog habitat, and had similar predation rates as their Europe relatives, could they reduce the feral hog invasion? A theoretical population model was designed in excel where it used life-history information for wolves and feral hogs to simulate their population sizes for 50 years. Three different predation rates were simulated on the feral hog population, and population rates were compared to the control that had no wolf predation. The results showed that medium and high predation rates significantly reduce the hog population. This research is intended to show a natural and sustainable approach to solving the feral hog problem while aiding conservation efforts for the gray wolf. To further this research, the next objectives would be to add a habitat model and perform a field experiment.

Do you know what reintroduction is?its not something you just do. It takes years to plan, find the right stock, it costs millions to care for and protect the wolves, and it can take decades to create a stable population.

 

you don’t just relocate animals. It takes knowledge and prep. There have been many failures reintroducing Woodland Caribou. Grizzly took almost 50 years in Yellowstone. Buffalo took 80 years, much of it with the military protecting the very last herd.  Every time, the projection was decades, for a species that would have very little effect on an already thriving population of hogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Wolves are literally being prevented from expanding to their ancestral territories because farmers are killing them, or states are outright culling them on the farmers behalfs, and Thegreatdipshit literally said in this thread he shoots them.  The best way to control feral hogs would be to reintroduce them into the southern states, but this won't happen cause of money, they'd also keep deer and coyote populations in check.

I kill them when they enter my land. Wolves kill livestock, they kill chickens, they kill turkey, and they kill pigs. Montana has a has an extremely healthy population. 

 

I also kill mountain lion. They are delicious though. Much better than pork. My wife’s Lion schnitzel is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SimpleG said:

He isnt shooting them, they are on the endangered list. States can issue the killing of them but it doesnt happen often. You say the best way to control hogs is wolves , your basing this on what? To get an idea of what it takes to slow the population down you need to kill 2/3 of the population year over year. Texas alone kills 3/4 of million a year and cant keep up , you would need a metric fuck ton of wolves to even get any where close to making a dent in the population. Not to mention once you have that many wolves do you think they are gonna stick to hunting just the feral pigs? Why bother with hunting boar  that can fuck up a wolf with ease when you can just turn to live stock.

What are you talking about? I can literally buy 5 wolf tags a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Serious question, what do you think keeps/kept feral pigs in check in their natural habitats throughout asia and europe?  

Nothing, they are completely out of control there as well. Much of Africa too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

What are you talking about? I can literally buy 5 wolf tags a year. 

My bad, I was under the impression you couldnt but your right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-2-year-old-girl-is-in-critical-condition-after-being-hit-by-a-stray-bullet-in-tennessee/ar-BBV5qRI?ocid=AMZN

I'm not sure about other places but here you have to be outside of city limits to legally practice shooting or at gun ranges. 

There was a five year old killed here in Richmond a few years ago on the fourth of July from celebratory gunfire. #murica 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was a five year old killed here in Richmond a few years ago on the fourth of July from celebratory gunfire. #murica 

 

r68g0l.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was a five year old killed here in Richmond a few years ago on the fourth of July from celebratory gunfire. #murica 

 

The only place I have personally experienced anything resembling celebratory gunfire was not in #murica. It was in #Lebanon. So... good job Richmond. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...