New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Agreed 

I wouldnt have an issue with out right banning of AR's but for now they do serve as a tool for some people. If people wanna figure out to limit it just a select few I am good with it.

Yep. To be honest, most people I know buy ARs because of "grrr, gotta buy it before the gubmint takes muh guns" or "this is badass and i'm a 'Merican and it's mah right!" Shit like that. My parents are gun nuts and they own a couple, plus some similar styles of semiautos. Yeah, my dad shoots hogs and coyotes and he's used his AR a couple times for it, but honestly, he's the former. Needless to say, I strayed far away from the political path they tried to put me on.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep. To be honest, most people I know buy ARs because of "grrr, gotta buy it before the gubmint takes muh guns" or "this is badass and i'm a 'Merican and it's mah right!" Shit like that. My parents are gun nuts and they own a couple, plus some similar styles of semiautos. Yeah, my dad shoots hogs and coyotes and he's used his AR a couple times for it, but honestly, he's the former. Needless to say, I strayed far away from the political path they tried to put me on.

Absolutely , Id wager that 99.9% of AR owners buy them for the same reasons. Its a very strange mind set where most of the world sees a weapon capable of slaughtering people by the dozen but gun nuts just see them as a staple of life.

Hey look scientist did science and stuff, turns out it might not be so crazy to control an invasive species by reintroducing a natural predator!  A lot less fun that just shooting stuff though.

https://cornerstone.lib.mnsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1212&context=jur

Abstract

Invasive species are a problem in the United States. As their populations continue to increase in size they disrupt ecological systems. One of the most notorious invasive species is the feral hog. In Texas, the hog populations cause ecological and agricultural damage that costs the state $52 million annually. The reason for the large continuously growing population is that the feral hogs, unlike its relatives in Europe, have no natural predators and hunters cannot suppress the population growth. In Europe, the gray wolf is a predator to the European wild boar. However, wolves in the U.S. have been extirpated from most of the continental U.S. If gray wolves could be reintroduced into hog habitat, and had similar predation rates as their Europe relatives, could they reduce the feral hog invasion? A theoretical population model was designed in excel where it used life-history information for wolves and feral hogs to simulate their population sizes for 50 years. Three different predation rates were simulated on the feral hog population, and population rates were compared to the control that had no wolf predation. The results showed that medium and high predation rates significantly reduce the hog population. This research is intended to show a natural and sustainable approach to solving the feral hog problem while aiding conservation efforts for the gray wolf. To further this research, the next objectives would be to add a habitat model and perform a field experiment.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hey look scientist did science and stuff, turns out it might not be so crazy to control an invasive species by reintroducing a natural predator!  A lot less fun that just shooting stuff though.

Abstract

Invasive species are a problem in the United States. As their populations continue to increase in size they disrupt ecological systems. One of the most notorious invasive species is the feral hog. In Texas, the hog populations cause ecological and agricultural damage that costs the state $52 million annually. The reason for the large continuously growing population is that the feral hogs, unlike its relatives in Europe, have no natural predators and hunters cannot suppress the population growth. In Europe, the gray wolf is a predator to the European wild boar. However, wolves in the U.S. have been extirpated from most of the continental U.S. If gray wolves could be reintroduced into hog habitat, and had similar predation rates as their Europe relatives, could they reduce the feral hog invasion? A theoretical population model was designed in excel where it used life-history information for wolves and feral hogs to simulate their population sizes for 50 years. Three different predation rates were simulated on the feral hog population, and population rates were compared to the control that had no wolf predation. The results showed that medium and high predation rates significantly reduce the hog population. This research is intended to show a natural and sustainable approach to solving the feral hog problem while aiding conservation efforts for the gray wolf. To further this research, the next objectives would be to add a habitat model and perform a field experiment.

First off he ran a simulation 100 times based off information he picked at his discretion but Ill give you credit for these 

Ive heard this before but not sure where

To address the biggest concerns that the state of Texas would have toward having wolves
be reintroduced is to discuss wolf depredation. Wolves generally are notorious for predating on
livestock, and because of this there is an issue when reintroduction of wolves is proposed into
more of the United States. Due to this issue, conservation efforts for the wolves has become
increasingly more difficult as sociological groups try to halt efforts. 

And my favorite part

Although, to use this research
as evidence that the predator-prey dynamic will work would be foolish as many variables were
assumed based on other geographic locations and different populations

Dont use research to back up your argument where said research specifically says "dont use me as evidence"

9 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Abstract

Do you know what reintroduction is?its not something you just do. It takes years to plan, find the right stock, it costs millions to care for and protect the wolves, and it can take decades to create a stable population.

you don’t just relocate animals. It takes knowledge and prep. There have been many failures reintroducing Woodland Caribou. Grizzly took almost 50 years in Yellowstone. Buffalo took 80 years, much of it with the military protecting the very last herd.  Every time, the projection was decades, for a species that would have very little effect on an already thriving population of hogs.

12 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Wolves are literally being prevented from expanding to their ancestral territories because farmers are killing them, or states are outright culling them on the farmers behalfs, and Thegreatdipshit literally said in this thread he shoots them.  The best way to control feral hogs would be to reintroduce them into the southern states, but this won't happen cause of money, they'd also keep deer and coyote populations in check.

I kill them when they enter my land. Wolves kill livestock, they kill chickens, they kill turkey, and they kill pigs. Montana has a has an extremely healthy population. 

I also kill mountain lion. They are delicious though. Much better than pork. My wife’s Lion schnitzel is amazing.

12 hours ago, SimpleG said:

He isnt shooting them, they are on the endangered list. States can issue the killing of them but it doesnt happen often. You say the best way to control hogs is wolves , your basing this on what? To get an idea of what it takes to slow the population down you need to kill 2/3 of the population year over year. Texas alone kills 3/4 of million a year and cant keep up , you would need a metric fuck ton of wolves to even get any where close to making a dent in the population. Not to mention once you have that many wolves do you think they are gonna stick to hunting just the feral pigs? Why bother with hunting boar  that can fuck up a wolf with ease when you can just turn to live stock.

What are you talking about? I can literally buy 5 wolf tags a year. 

13 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-2-year-old-girl-is-in-critical-condition-after-being-hit-by-a-stray-bullet-in-tennessee/ar-BBV5qRI?ocid=AMZN

I'm not sure about other places but here you have to be outside of city limits to legally practice shooting or at gun ranges. 

There was a five year old killed here in Richmond a few years ago on the fourth of July from celebratory gunfire. #murica 

9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was a five year old killed here in Richmond a few years ago on the fourth of July from celebratory gunfire. #murica 

The only place I have personally experienced anything resembling celebratory gunfire was not in #murica. It was in #Lebanon. So... good job Richmond. :p 

27 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's refreshing to see a government that actually does something about mass murderers, tbhqh. 

8 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

It's not about enforcement, it's a message to criminals and copycats that they will get even more charges moving forward.

This punishes people who simply read it.  That is fucked up.  This is a bad precedent for freedom of speech.  

• Jason changed the title to New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch
31 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I think you're missing the big picture, under what conditions would you be caught?

Doesn't matter. Even if someone just wanted to carry a copy of it to be an asshole, they should be allowed. The idea of putting a prison sentence on ownership of a fucking manifesto is one of the more disturbing non-shooting news i've heard in a long time.

What will someone arbitrarily choose next? Harry Potter? People have tried here. Its a horrible precedent for any country. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The law literally allows prison for people reading material the government doesn’t agree with. It’s the definition of disgusting 

Look, you took the contrarian prize from sblfilms. You don’t need to beat him over the head with it.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

Look, you took the contrarian prize from sblfilms. You don’t need to beat him over the head with it.

I think this bro actually believes it all though. I just like to break up the monotony :p