New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

An issue that civilians shouldn't be trusted with, especially since it hasn't stopped the issue one bit.  The removal of vital predator species is also a big driver of population issues. 

Derp, wild hogs are an invasive species and never had any natural predators here. They breed like crazy.

And the destruction of wolves in NA happened a really fucking long time ago. I'm not sure when they disappeared from my range, but at the very latest it was the 19th century.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Derp, wild hogs are an invasive species and never had any natural predators here. They breed like crazy.

And the destruction of wolves in NA happened a really fucking long time ago. I'm not sure when they disappeared from my range, but at the very latest it was the 19th century.

The grey wolf is their main predator, each grey can kill up to 80 a year.  But sure lets continue to claim we need semi auto rifles to keep wild hog numbers in check and keep killing wolves.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

The grey wolf is their main predator, each grey can kill up to 80 a year.  But sure lets continue to claim we need semi auto rifles to keep wild hog numbers in check and keep killing wolves.

...are you aware that wolves don't exist in the US outside of Alaska and a few populations in the Pacific Northwest and Minnesota/Wisconsin? Did you actually read what was posted? No one is killing wolves where the invasive feral hog populations are destroying land, because there are no wolves there and there hasn't been for over a century. 

So, yes, it falls to humans to try to keep the population of this destructive invasive species somewhat in check. And, yes, semi-autos are the best way to do that. 

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If pest control is the main justification for hunting, one solution would be to limit certain rifle types to official and licensed pest control officers. Have it be a government-funded job and allow them access to federal and state land as well as any private land that wishes the service.

Why do that when there's a ton of hunters who will do it for nothing? A lot of people will eat the pork, too.

And I'd say pest control is really mostly limited to feral hogs. Some people will shoot coyotes if they're a thread to their livestock.

Yeah, we have to keep deer populations in check, but the idea of hiring people just to shoot deer is silly. Hunters enjoy the hobby and want the venison. 

I really just stick to deer hunting, occasionally squirrel. If I lived in a rural area and got to hunt a lot more, I'd go after some hogs, but I don't really have that opportunity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

To be clear, I'm not against hunting for food (though I am against it for sport), but I am against owning anything more than bolt-action long guns. Anything else should be banned.

As much as I dislike the AR and weapons like it, it does have valid uses(I just don't have a need for it). 

Personally speaking, I'd be fine with limiting it to bolt-action. It's all I use for hunting. Or at least have a max capacity of 10 rounds. 

I do own a couple of handguns, but I wouldn't be terribly upset to part with them.

But your proposals aren't gonna be happening anytime soon.

40 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Wolf habitats by state

https://www.californiawolfcenter.org/education/wolf-recovery-today/

Map

2018-feral-swine-distribution-map.jpg

Not a lot of cross over

• Like 1

Wolves are literally being prevented from expanding to their ancestral territories because farmers are killing them, or states are outright culling them on the farmers behalfs, and Thegreatdipshit literally said in this thread he shoots them.  The best way to control feral hogs would be to reintroduce them into the southern states, but this won't happen cause of money, they'd also keep deer and coyote populations in check.

Wolves are literally being prevented from expanding to their ancestral territories because farmers are killing them, or states are outright culling them on the farmers behalfs, and Thegreatdipshit literally said in this thread he shoots them.  The best way to control feral hogs would be to reintroduce them into the southern states, but this won't happen cause of money, they'd also keep deer and coyote populations in check.

I'd be all for reintroducing wolves to their former ranges, but that would take some time, assuming it'd be allowed to start. 

I just wanted to point out how blatantly wrong your statements were in regards to killing off wolves that would supposedly keep feral hogs in check. You can't kill them where they don't exist. 

I'd still deer hunt even if wolves were back to their former ranges. It's more humane than mass farming of animals and the meat is delicious and healthier. 

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

He isnt shooting them, they are on the endangered list. States can issue the killing of them but it doesnt happen often. You say the best way to control hogs is wolves , your basing this on what? To get an idea of what it takes to slow the population down you need to kill 2/3 of the population year over year. Texas alone kills 3/4 of million a year and cant keep up , you would need a metric fuck ton of wolves to even get any where close to making a dent in the population. Not to mention once you have that many wolves do you think they are gonna stick to hunting just the feral pigs? Why bother with hunting boar  that can fuck up a wolf with ease when you can just turn to live stock.

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with wolves to assume they're gonna kill hogs en mass. Deer are much easier prey for them.

And last I knew, people weren't just freely hunting wolves outside of Alaska. I thought they could be culled in local areas where they pose a threat to livestock, but that's about it. I don't know what they're doing now.

Paladin just seems to be talking out his ass, from what I can tell. At least he hasn't tried backing up any of his statements. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with wolves to assume they're gonna kill hogs en mass. Deer are much easier prey for them.

And last I knew, people weren't just freely hunting wolves outside of Alaska. I thought they could be culled in local areas where they pose a threat to livestock, but that's about it. I don't know what they're doing now.

Paladin just seems to be talking out his ass, from what I can tell. At least he hasn't tried backing up any of his statements. 

Just about everything is easier for them the feral pigs. Animals arent dumb , they know that even a minor injury can kill them. They wont go after a 250 pound tusk waving pig when easy livestock will do.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Even assuming wolves would hunt feral hogs, you'd need a shit ton of wolves, because hogs breed at such a ridiculous rate. They were never meant to be here.

2 litters a year with up to a 12 piglets per litter. Piglets reach sexual maturity in 3-4 months.

9 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Just about everything is easier for them the feral pigs. Animals arent dumb , they know that even a minor injury can kill them. They wont go after a 250 pound tusk waving pig when easy livestock will do.

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

2 litters a year with up to a 12 piglets per litter. Piglets reach sexual maturity in 3-4 months.

Yep and yep.

35 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Serious question, what do you think keeps/kept feral pigs in check in their natural habitats throughout asia and europe?  

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Serious question, what do you think keeps/kept feral pigs in check in their natural habitats throughout asia and europe?  

Serious question, do you think that the indroduction of wolves into their historical range will keep the population of this invasive species in check, along with their other more typical North American prey?

You've already shown enough ignorance in this thread, so try for a more reasonable response this time. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Serious question, do you think that the indroduction of wolves into their historical range will keep the population of this invasive species in check, along with their other more typical North American prey?

You've already shown enough ignorance in this thread, so try for a more reasonable response this time. 

Along with continued Human culling, till their population returns to a healthy number, yes.

Wolves did but you cant compare the two

Lower population density and smaller farms in conjunction with the wolves kept them in check. Now you have hundreds of acres of farm lands means a never ending food supply for the pigs  and 4 million pigs to contend with . Lets not forget that even if we had the wolf population to handle it , your dumping very nasty pack hunters in populated areas.

Just now, SimpleG said:

Wolves did but you cant compare the two

Lower population density and smaller farms in conjunction with the wolves kept them in check. Now you have hundreds of acres of farm lands means a never ending food supply for the pigs  and 4 million pigs to contend with . Lets not forget that even if we had the wolf population to handle it , your dumping very nasty pack hunters in populated areas.

I'd be willing to bet the wolves kill less people than the semi-automatic weapons.

I'd be willing to bet the wolves kill less people than the semi-automatic weapons.

Dumping that many wolves into populated areas and if your magic solution did work what will happen when pig numbers get reduced

Wolf 1: Well that was the last of them

Wolf 2:Time to pack it in and leave the farmers alone

BillyBob: We sure do appreciate ya boys helpin us out!

Lil Timmy: We's gonna miss you fellas

Several million wolves run off in to the sunset

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Yes guys, we should just keep doing what we're going its totally not working to eliminate the feral hogs and these weapons are killing thousands every year, DERRRRP

Try again. I've already said I'm fine with a ban on the AR. Or at the very least, restricting who can own one. 

I'm mocking your ignorance on wildlife management. 

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yes guys, we should just keep doing what we're going its totally not working to eliminate the feral hogs and these weapons are killing thousands every year, DERRRRP

It doesnt even make a dent but culling and trapping is the best method we have for now but Ill pass your idea on to the hundreds of scientist who have been dealing with this issue, I am sure they will all smack thier foreheads in unison in disbelief about how easy it is.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Try again. I've already said I'm fine with a ban on the AR. Or at the very least, restricting who can own one. 

I'm mocking your ignorance on wildlife management. 

Agreed 

I wouldnt have an issue with out right banning of AR's but for now they do serve as a tool for some people. If people wanna figure out to limit it just a select few I am good with it.