Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman among 40 charged in college entrance exam cheating plot

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment unsealed in Boston.

Loughlin, best known for her role in the sitcom "Full House," and Huffman, who starred in the ABC hit show "Desperate Housewives," were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services fraud.

The FBI recorded phone calls involving the celebrities and a cooperating witness, according to the criminal complaint. Representatives for Loughlin and Huffman did not immediately return requests for comment.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Initially I thought it was for themselves trying to get into college, in which case I was going to say, "Who cares they're old now?"

But looks like they were trying to get other people in by cheating which is a big :shameonyou:

WHY IS THE FUCKING EMOTICON MAKING ME LAUGH LIKE THIS?!

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, despite Huffman's work throughout her career, I associate her so much with the character @MarSolo despises.

I hate that character, too. :lol: 

He sendoff was pretty amazing, though.

My favorite part of that episode is her almost choking to death and not one member of Frasier's family raises a finger to help her. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

My favorite part of that episode is her almost choking to death and not one member of Frasier's family raises a finger to help her. 

Then Frasier looks at them. "HOW DAAAARRREEEEE YOU!" and after proclaiming his love after all the crap she pulled that night, she dumps her after ridiculing his bathroom decor. :lol: 

• Haha 1

There was a great twitter thread (that I can't find now) that described how to fix the American post-secondary educational system: Make it like Canada. Key reasons as to why post=secondary is simpler and better in Canada:

- Fewer schools per capita since they are almost all government-run. This reduces costs since the student numbers are higher at each school

- Alumni donations play a much smaller role in funding since government subsidizes so much of the cost. This keeps the focus on education, making sports, frats, and alumni stuff far less important

- Quality difference between schools is generally negligible for most programs

- As a result of the above, where you went to school doesn't matter, and people don't talk about it. A degree from one university is generally held to be the same as from another

- American schools focus a lot on the networking element (where you went to school matters a lot), whereas in Canada it's not

- Frats aren't really a thing

- Because private money matters less, education is more equitable

- Many or most degrees in Canada are 5-year programs and include co-op terms (paid work terms spread throughout the program, typically two to three 3-or-4-month terms)

- No SATs. Students are admitted based on high-school marks.

tl;dr: eliminate private colleges and take private money out of schools. Use tax money to fund them instead, eliminating advantages for the rich, and the involvement and importance of things like sports and frats.

Not sure if it's related, but Canada has the highest rate of post-secondary usage in the world, at 50%. Keep in mind that this includes both colleges and universities. In Canada there are many polytechnics and trade schools (also government-funded) where you can take classes to gain certification in a lot of things. Programs range from one to four years. Universities tend to offer 4-year or 5-year programs.

Iam not sure why Loughlin was even bothering to send her to daughter , it was fairly obvious she wasnt interested in furthering her education.

"“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all,” she said. “But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

22 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Iam not sure why Loughlin was even bothering to send her to daughter , it was fairly obvious she wasnt interested in furthering her education.

"“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all,” she said. “But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

Sadly that is the feeling of many people out there who still end up going to college, running up massive loans, and then graduate with no real marketable skills. 

25 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

In case someone wants to know where that quote came from.

Just saw this post made about the story:

"Fuck Fuller House, Netflix should do a show with their actual real life personalities. A meth head, a religious whack job, a couple terrible comics, and a helicopter parent committing fraud to get her privileged fuck wit of a daughter into college all living together in hilarity. That’s a show I’d watch."

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I got to go to college through grants, scholarships and financial aid but it also must feel nice to be dumb and buy your way in just to have a recognizable name on your diploma. 🙄

Think of this way way:

• Rich parents can send their kids to the same college and benefit from the legacy system
  • Rich kids don't have to work and study
  • Rich kids can afford all the SAT prep and tutors they need
  • Rich kids have more time for more AP classes and dual enrollment classes
  • Rich kids can have their mommy pay $15,000 to change their SAT location so they get unlimited time

But someone will look at you and think you unfairly benefit by your skin color.

18 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There was a great twitter thread (that I can't find now) that described how to fix the American post-secondary educational system: Make it like Canada. Key reasons as to why post=secondary is simpler and better in Canada:

- Fewer schools per capita since they are almost all government-run. This reduces costs since the student numbers are higher at each school

- Alumni donations play a much smaller role in funding since government subsidizes so much of the cost. This keeps the focus on education, making sports, frats, and alumni stuff far less important

- Quality difference between schools is generally negligible for most programs

- As a result of the above, where you went to school doesn't matter, and people don't talk about it. A degree from one university is generally held to be the same as from another

- American schools focus a lot on the networking element (where you went to school matters a lot), whereas in Canada it's not

- Frats aren't really a thing

- Because private money matters less, education is more equitable

- Many or most degrees in Canada are 5-year programs and include co-op terms (paid work terms spread throughout the program, typically two to three 3-or-4-month terms)

- No SATs. Students are admitted based on high-school marks.

tl;dr: eliminate private colleges and take private money out of schools. Use tax money to fund them instead, eliminating advantages for the rich, and the involvement and importance of things like sports and frats.

Not sure if it's related, but Canada has the highest rate of post-secondary usage in the world, at 50%. Keep in mind that this includes both colleges and universities. In Canada there are many polytechnics and trade schools (also government-funded) where you can take classes to gain certification in a lot of things. Programs range from one to four years. Universities tend to offer 4-year or 5-year programs.

Quick question, what's Canada's total population compared to the U.S.?

• 3 weeks later...