Aladdin (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread

A thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of Disney’s animated classic, “Aladdin” is the exciting tale of the charming street rat Aladdin, the courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine and the Genie who may be the key to their future. Directed by Guy Ritchie, who brings his singular flair for fast-paced, visceral action to the fictitious port city of Agrabah, “Aladdin” is written by John August and Ritchie based on Disney’s “Aladdin.” The film stars Will Smith as the Genie; Mena Massoud as Aladdin; Naomi Scott as Jasmine; Marwan Kenzari as Jafar; Navid Negahban as the Sultan; Nasim Pedrad as Dalia and Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders.

“Aladdin” is produced by Dan Lin, p.g.a., and Jonathan Eirich, p.g.a., with Kevin De La Noy and Marc Platt serving as executive producers. Eight-time Academy Award®-winning composer Alan Menken provides the score, which includes new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and Oscar®-winning lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice and includes two new songs written by Menken and lyrics by Oscar and Tony Award®-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.

Looks better than the last trailer at least. 

Still not sure about Guy Richie as director though as he's very hit or miss. Also with a world that is basically a melting pot of Indian and Arabian culture, wouldn't it have been better to hire a brown person as director? 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Looks better than the last trailer at least. 

Still not sure about Guy Richie as director though as he's very hit or miss. Also with a world that is basically a melting pot of Indian and Arabian culture, wouldn't it have been better to hire a brown person as director? 

As a brown person, I wish they had done so but I can tell you that I'm just thankful they cast brown actors, etc. That's how low the bar is for us. :(:p 

And bringing in Ritchie probably due to the "street rat" angle of Aladdin's character does make a lot of sense given his body of work so I'm not too miffed at Disney choosing him. 

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

indeed the casting of Jafar just doesn't work for me. I've said it before, Disney should have hired Ben Kingsley

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I think Ben Kingsley is a bit too old to play Jafar, and too obvious of a choice. Hopefully the guy playing Jafar will surprise us, but the trailers aren't really selling me on him. 

How about Oscar Isaac?

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Huh? I'm saying it wouldn't make much sense to have a Hispanic actor play an Arabic character. 

Brown is brown or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it looks good. I like that it will be not just a shot for shot like Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. 

Also is anyone else really really really curious what the inevitable Little Mermaid remake will look like? And how they’re going to pull that off without absolutely terrifying little kids. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think it looks good. I like that it will be not just a shot for shot like Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. 

Also is anyone else really really really curious what the inevitable Little Mermaid remake will look like? And how they’re going to pull that off without absolutely terrifying little kids. 

Has there been something said about it not being a shot for shot remake?  I haven't seen Aladdin for a while but most of what I see in the trailer seem like scenes directly from the original.  

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Check out a movie called "The Lure" it's a live action movie about these mermaids that work in a nightclub. Also, it's a musical!

• 4 weeks later...